on 9 April 2011
I have this on a vinyl album still but decided to get the cd to play in the car.
Contrary to popular beleif Dave is NOT Ansels brother,he is in fact Dave Barker,hes the toaster,Ansel plays the keyboard.

The title track is still a great reggae song and has certainly lasted the test of time,but after 40 years I still dont know what he shouts at the start.Although Dave Barker is a good singer I am not convinced that he is the singer on tracks 5 and 8.

I dont think there is a single duff or filler track on this cd....OK it only lasts for 33 mins,but I prefer it that way my self.

If I had to highlight a couple of tracks,track 9 "impossible mission" and track 11" count the days" are my desert island disks.The whole album reminds me of early Lee Perry/Upsetter productions from the early 70's when reggae was king.

For me the period of 67/68 will always be the cream of Jamaican music,the rock steady era.........but then, early 70's stuff like this comes a close second,Thanks Trojan for all the re-issues!!
5 people found this helpful
on 28 November 2010
I had never heard this album until purchasing this cd, but was very aware that it is considered a very important album in the history of reggae music.

I personally have always preferred 'Monkey Spanner' to 'Double Barrel', but hearing the tracks newly remastered to the highest standard makes this an interesting and enjoyable listen.

It's a bit of an oddball collection in some ways, in that it feels like a selection of songs with a few instrumentals thrown in.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed it.
6 people found this helpful
on 28 October 2012
This was the first album I ever bought and it cost me 10/6d.... that is ten shillings and six pence... in todays money 52 and 1/2 pence.
That was brand new, I played it on my mono record player every day about 100 times a day and drove my family crazy, when I found it on Amazon available on download I could not believe it. I have burned it to CD and now play it in stereo in my car.
It is still totally mind blowing. Dave and Ansel Colins produced a timeless masterpiece. It was brilliant then and it is still brilliant today. I would recommend this very highly to every one no matter what your preference in music.
Have a listen, it is worth it.
3 people found this helpful
on 23 February 2014
Reggae at its best of the early 70's. Glad to own the album on its own and not on a compilation. Not having Dave And Ansel Collins on a Reggae Complication, I only have their number one Double Barrel on a Super Summer 70's Album with various artists.
on 19 November 2011
It two words.... buy it. So why well it's a gem from the Trojan vaults. Trojan have been a bit cheeky really by re-releasing the album in it's original form, 12-13 tracks, means they get the money without re editing it by adding more tracks but that said for what I paid it's a classic.
on 14 September 2014
a really classic album,
on 19 March 2014
Real Five Star ..Superb....Dave And Ansell collins at there Very best...I Cant Recomend it Enough ..It is So Addictive ..Music I Though had gone forever ..From Double Barrel Through to Two Four One ...12 Amazing tracks .....I Real Piece of Reggae Gold ...
on 10 July 2014
Great
on 2 August 2013
Great Bought me back to my youth
on 15 August 2017