1,214

on 6 October 2010
I purchased a new XL IQ Routes 2 (UK ROI & Europe) and it arrived at mid afternoon. I checked it on a short run in my car, then hooked it up to my laptop to downloaded updated maps. An hour later after updating my map I found that the update procedure (which is totally controlled by the Tom Tom software) had completely erased my UK map.

After emailing TomTom and receiving a facile email intimating that I'm technophobe. I returned the unit for a refund.

Then I found a really helpful guy in Halfords - he told me this model has a 2gb memory (and no facility to increase). It's delivered with about 1.7gb of files pre-loaded (including the UK & Western Europe Map) - but if you look at the free map update (which now includes Turkey) it exceeds 2gb - so it erases the original, finds it can't fit on the new map and offers either Central Europe or Eastern Europe instead - both are less than 2gb but neither include UK.

Tom Tom dropped a brick with this model and map update combination: The specialist suppliers are NOT recommending XL IQ Routes 2 (UK ROI & Europe) for this reason. So whatever you do DON'T DOWNLOAD A MAP UPDATE if you bought the UK ROI & Europe version until they've fixed this bug.
1717 comments| 1,262 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 June 2011
I bought this unit because I wanted an up to date Euromap satnav. I needed several Euro countries and this unit had them all. I thought a new middle of the range TomTom should be fine. Indeed on receipt I fired it up and hey presto everything is good. I put the TomTom home software onto my computer and linked the Satnav with no problem. Then, the bit they don't tell you about. TomTom home found a new update and as the unit was new within 30 days or so I could download it. So I did. It took forever and then stated that my unit did not have enough space. The update was bigger than my TomTom could handle. How stupid is that? It is new. When you can buy an 8GB SD card for peanuts this unit has a maximum of 2GB storage and no card slot. Now either something went wrong or I pressed the wrong button but from that point on the TomTom was useless. I looked for help but all TomTom give are the usual directions to FQA's. Their FQA's are rubbish by the way. The best advice is always independent sites where people have no brand loyalty and say it like it is. I found one and after several long downloads and failures right at the ' literally' eleventh hour, managed to get the TOMTOM back. But not as it was, I could only choose a specific combination of regions due to size and not one combination covered all the countries I am going to. So I now have a Garmin to cover certain countries, as I would have to lose the UK for the TomTom to cover them. The choices are not good enough. We should be able to swap and change individual countries if we wish in order to tailor the Satnav. When are these manufacturer's going to wake up to that fact. My advice is to download the map updates directly to your computer and store them there. That way you can update, providing you have all night. This will enable you to swap the maps around to some extent, to get over the size limit on your TomTom and load what package is closest to the areas you need. At well over £100 it shouldn't be be a a cost problem for a manufacturer to put more memory on the unit to accept the official updates for the next two years, or is there another reason???
66 comments| 657 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2009
After looking at a few comments on this product I find myself in agreement with many of the positive and even some of the negative.

To expound on this, I purchased the XL IQ routes ed (Europe)last Saturday for a trip around Spain next month, with the thought that I'd best get hold of one early enough to get used to the device as a) I had never owned a sat nav before (having been blessed with a pretty good personal GPS and the ability to read a map). and b) having been in cars with others who have used these devices I was concerned they may be more distracting than useful.

I picked this product based on reviews of others and a 5 minute demo from a friend, which to be honest made it look indespensable, even for the things that are often never mentioned about the device, such as the help section, which one would assume is a how to guide, but is infact a set up to get the nearest hosptial/ doctor whether driving or walking even including a first aid guide. Although I've not had to use these features, so cannot advise if any good, what a great feature!

My first trip was a known trip and on the whole it marked the way I would choose, but it still managed to save me 30 minutes off a regular journey time by throwing me down a couple of country lanes, so by now seriously impressed with the device.

So the next thing I do the same as everyone does is connect the device to their PC to make sure they have the latest maps, cameras et al.

As soon as you connect it, it installs the software already pre-loaded on the device (a really nice feature, no disc to lose woohoo!) as soon as it this application is installed (called tom tom HOME) it asks if you would like to update.

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

CLICK CANCEL, DO NOT UPDATE UNTIL YOU HAVE MANUALLY BACKED UP THE DEVICE.

that is the message you should be shown first, how aleading manufacturer of such a product can get you updating before you've backed up a working machine is unbelivable, but just a sign of today I feel, in that once they have your money they no longer care.

Of course, I was not aware and like most clicked the update button, all is well, I disconnect the device turn it on and woohoo a nice tom tom shaped paper weight.

I then spend a week battling customer services, to get this working as I cannot return the device due to it being software and excluded from 28 day returns policy.

In the end I fixed the device myself, as customer service just insisted on forwarding me pre-prepared scripts that were not able to resolve the issue. I'll not go into how I fixed it but I did have to format it and start from scratch, re-installing applications and maps, which athough I'm capable is not something I feel I should have been doing.

Anyway now the device is backed up and working and in summary it is a great product and I would highly recommend it.

Just make sure you back up the device manually before updating (guide on tomtom website) and you should be golden.
2222 comments| 1,021 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 July 2010
I have owned 3 tomtom machines and all have struggled with the same problem.....internal memory is small for the full European map.

There is no mention that the European map is has grown so large that the full map will no longer fit onto the 2gb flash drive. Tomtom home even tell's you your machines memory is too small for the full version and instead you are offer a zoned map of Europe that you must choose. (4 zones)

I have frequently used my machines on holidays but the way the Europe map zones are split mean you can have U.K & Germany but not Spain or Italy.....or you can choose U.K & Spain but not Germany or Italy.

On past machines I have worked around this by installing a 4gb SD card but some "bean counter" at Tomtom has decided a few pounds can be saved by doing away with the SD slot on most machines.
Adding lots of POI, music or additional features Tomtom offer!! could be limited.
Good points the TT has an easy to use interface and the map graphics are good but I paid for a full working map installed on the machine not my home computer. Removing the SD slot is a step back
2929 comments| 872 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2010
I bought this to replace my old TomTom One Europe as the battery had died. I have now used this one for two months and regret not sending it back. They have taken out many good features of the older versions.

If you are new to satnavs then this might suffice, but if you have used older models you need to seriously consider if this offers all you want and are used to from your old/current model.

Pros - It has a nice large display, seems to pick up satellite lock quickly, it is a very thin package, including the window attachment and has speed camera alerts.

Cons - They have removed some of the better features of the older type;
- no ability to view the route TomTom has chosen,
- no ability to plan an itinerary,
- no ability to change the route to avoid a specific area or road (ie if you know there has been an accident on the M1 there is no way to have it choose a route that avoids that road or part of it!)
- the map remains in the same orientation (so sometimes you are driving down or across the screen which can be disorienting when at a junction)
- you cannot adjust what is displayed on the screen (used to be able to turn specific details on or off as desired)
- you can no longer navigate to an intersection of roads
33 comments| 383 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 January 2012
Dont buy this product by the time you install a start up and shut down emblem and map updates the memory is full and thats without any voice or driving style updates.Then next time you want to update maps or cameras there is no available space and then you are out of time to return it so then have to deal with tomtom customer services luckily i updated mine then looked at available space and so then checked reviews, this problem seems to be a massive issue.DONT BUY
22 comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 May 2009
This is my second TomTom navigation unit. My first was the original TomTom GO, which I gave to my father just over 2 years ago as the new company car I was given had a navigation unit in it. How I missed the TomTom! You miss the 3D-style intuitive display, the easy tap screen entry. Well, the new XL iq Routes European Edition is just great! It has a really clear display with a non-reflective surface, which is much better that the old TomTom GO shiny-screen.

The display is bigger and the unit is far quicker and more responsive to the satellite signals. I have noted some small map errors when I was in Edinburgh recently. The TomTom was trying to make me turn right into a road that was not there, it was 50 feet above me (North Bridge). I tagged the point on my unit (it says you can do this) with the intention of advising when I upgrade the maps on my computer. I have no idea where the 'tag' point went to? I browsed the map and manually advised but this feature is very cumbersome and probably not as intended, it certainly was not as I had inferred the feature. I will ask TomTom about this but the question is so obscure it may not be understood. But for this small quirk I would give it 5 stars.
I never use the voice for navigation or have need of a bluetooth link to my mobile 'phone (I use a Jabra earpiece), so those features are not needed from the product portfolio. This unit has no Bluetooth and if it had no sound it would be cheaper and for me better too.

The speed travelling and road limit on the bottom of the screen is an excellent addition.
I am yet to use it in Europe but all being well it will be as good there as here. The screen mount is wonderful, being both very solid and quick to attach and detatch.

I wholeheartedly recommend the unit. It is quick, simple, intuitive and accurate.
0Comment| 214 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 July 2010
I had a tomtom ages ago, so was really looking forward to upgrading to one with newer features. The screen is a great size & once you get used to the bit that sticks it to the screen, it attaches really well.

I had to return this device for 2 reasons. It does not warn you about the congestion zone in London. It crashed when trying calculate a route between 2 postcodes, one based in SW London, the other in NW London. If you live in London and need to get through the city, then avoid it.

If you are going to buy it, then definitely get it from Amazon, as they have a great returns policy. Do not purchase it directly from Tomtom, as they will not refund anything you've had for more than 7 days.
22 comments| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2009
I've used several satnav sets and this one is the best yet. The Lane guidance is very neat and the overall ease of use is fantastic. The screen size is just about right and the unit is fairly compact. The quick release mounting is very neat and easy to use. Highly recommended. Can't comment on the customer service - I know some others have had problems in this area but so far so good for me - not had to call for support. Seems to be very reliable and the GPS locks onto satellites really quickly.
22 comments| 252 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2009
If you purchase a Tom Tom and have no issues, they are a fantastic product. However, if anything goes wrong and you have to deal with their customer service, things turn into a nightmare. My Tom Tom went wrong when activating the blue tooth, so my advice is to stick to the basics of just letting the thing get you from A to B.

Back to Tom Tom's customer service, it took me over 8 months to finally get a replacement after this the product had been sent to Germany, Scotland and Holland. Emails unanswered, 55 minutes plus spent on the phone and numerous occasions reformatting the hard drive. I really got the distinct impression that Tom Tom were hoping that I would just give up.

Unfortunately some of their devices do have faults, but why make people endure such a protracted process before replacing items? I cannot recommend Tom Tom on any level as their customer care is a total disgrace and will leave you frustrated and angry.
11 comment| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse