1,243

on 19 October 2009
Now we are both in our seventies we found we were making navigational errors, and then getting more stressed attempting to find our way back on course! Friends had recommended SatNav in general and TomTom in particular. After a few weeks scanning descriptions and reviews we plumped for the TomTom XL IQ. It was delivered within a few days and I then spent an evening with it plugged into my computer, sorting out what had to be done over the internet - a straightforward but time-consuming process.

On almost all SatNav-worthy journeys we find it more convenient to have the unit on the passengers lap rather than fiddle with the mount. We also leave the cord connected as inserting and extracting the connector is a pain - very poor design here. The two units live in a pair of old short socks in a drawer at home or in handbag or rucksack away - a remarkably cheap solution!

In use the unit is very reassuring, with both visual and audible instructions usually coming in good time; it's particularly helpful lnowing how far to the next junction. However there is no audible warning if you are crossing a main road - it just assumes you will go straight over! It has only let us down badly on two occasions, the first when it gave no audible warning of an important turn off the road and we shot past the junction; however it then quickly recalculated the route, but it was through the centre of a town we should have by-passed! The other occured when we needed instructions leaving a large educational establishment SW of Horsham only to discover that it didn't know where we were, and we had to drive on instinct for four miles until it rediscovered our whereabouts. On occasions the turn instruction comes rather later than is helpful.

I wish it were easier to intsruct the unit to plot a route using waymarks so that it takes you the way you want.

On the whole we are very pleased with our purchase and the reduction in strain we have already experienced.
on 8 January 2017
Initially had a 6 year old Tom Tom one sat nav, but failed to charge, attempted to go with Garmin on recommendation, but should have gone back to Tom Tom as Garmin sat navs in my expereince are useless, they count down in feet where as Tom Tom count in metres and are just a poor design.
The Tom Tom XXL seems a beast of a machine, typed in the postcode for two destinations and both occasions, not one problem! Stay away from Garmin and let Tom Tom, take you on a journey you'll not forget!!
on 29 December 2015
I never received this from Amazon but bought it from high street and this has served me well for the last 3 years.
The maps are good and take right to the point where I want. The screen size is just perfect and voice quality is excellent.
An excellent product from TomTom. The regular updates which users make to the maps give an updated map and speed camera details and can easily avoid paying TomTom to update maps yearly.
on 6 March 2015
Works fine, but had problems registering. Apparently I was not the only one acording to the internet. Got there in the end. This SatNav is an impprovement on the previous 'XL' that failed and did not cost much more than a repair on the old one whould have done.
on 28 January 2014
A fantastic product. We used this to get to a remote location in France and it took us to the front door. My only gripes are the awkward socket on the the bottom is difficult to get the power lead in and Tom Tom don't seem to update their system very often. Despite regularly updating the Tom Tom it still doesn't recognise road changes that were implemented several years ago.
on 10 April 2017
Essential accessory
on 9 March 2017
GREAT
on 9 March 2017
One of the best NAVS in its category.