Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.28

on 19 July 1999
I just finished this book and loved it. It is shockingly realistic and I grew attached to every character. One of the best boooks I have ever read.
on 2 March 1999
An amazingly detailed book packed with lots of amazing, interesting, and humorous stories following the 1st Brigade LRRPs. It really has some story-telling punch, and I have to commend the author on his patience of gathering and organizing so much information so that the Lurps story and work can be brought out to readers to appreciate. This is my second book of the series (I read Kenn Miller's book#2 first) and I'm now on to Book Three...
on 17 July 1999
This series of books (Six Silent Men) combined is excellent. The 3 authors have seen and done things other men, of that age, would have of not thought possible. The book, in a Limey's opinion, was excellent, the detail was thorough leaving little to the imagination. Rey I congratulate on a book well written. Lets hope there are more to come !!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 20 November 2011
Just read this book and intend to get through the other two books as well.
A very good read even though I now and then got a bit confused over whom "I" was, I.e. the one telling the story as Martinez often tell the story another has given to him and use "I" to denote the other person. But not the biggest problem.
I've only given it 4 stars this as it completely lack some maps to get an overview over the AO for the chapter. An idea is that the publisher could put such things on their website!
But a good read, and glad that I'm in the navy instead of the 101st even though they are my favourite read!
on 18 July 1998
Mr. Martinez has written an awesome book.It is the first book I ever read on the Vietnam War.He takes into the lives and the firefights of the men.There are some good times and bad times of these brave rangers.I suggest reading it twice!
on 17 January 1997
Martinez's book is outstanding! Anyone interested in the Vietnam War will be astonished at the effort Martinez has placed in creating it. Unlike many narratives, his is filled with many many personal accounts. It's not a "blood and guts" account. He doesn't go out of his way to shock the reader. He and his subjects narrate and reflect on the humor and terror that they lived everyday. It's like a brigade history; with a personality. If this is Book One of three, then I'm waiting for the other two, NOW!
on 13 July 1998
This book I found quite interesting. It did appear a little too tedious when it came to naming darn near everyone he met there by name and rank. These were the real heroes during that time and for that I am thankful for the insight of their battles both there and at home.
on 29 June 2009
The topic is great. Similar to the Blackjack books by James Donahue. Donahue is a much better writer and since I read his books first, Six Silent men definitely suffers by comparison. That being said, it is still a very interesting read.
on 29 April 1998
I laughed and cried through the whole book. Keep the books comming. I would like to see a movie made also. END
on 18 December 2015
Another really good book outlining the duties of the LRRP (Lurps) during the Viet Nam war. Starts with the usual background and history of some of the key players but quickly gets into why we read these books - the actual time in the jungle.

Well written and really puts you in the shoes of the people that were there. Always tinged with the challenges of Army politics and gives a good insight how the Lurps and other units were just pawns in a much bigger (sometimes very confused) military/political picture.

Some sad stories and really soul searching incidents - these guys did a really tough job and it's not to be celebrated, rather more `appreciated` what they did. None of them feel like hero's although in many ways so many of them were.

A good read if you enjoy those sorts of books and it's number 1 in a 3 book series (each written by a different member of the team).