Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.99

on 18 July 2008
Ahh... The memories of my mothers cooking when she was alive came flooding back once I purchased this book. I know how to cook the recipes but I wanted to have the book as a momento as I never write my recipies down.

It isn't just a cookbook, the book interspersed with stories of Levi's upbring and his adventures as a young man.He is an amazing man just like a lot of older Jamaicans. There are also beautiful pictures of the island rickety old signs that have fallen down but still manage to sucessfully advertise the spicy, delicious food to be had in the next building, lol.

This book is lovely. A pleasure to have at my house and the recipes are all authentic, rustic Jamaican cooking. It actually makes you feel good. Break out the rum punch and have a pattie cooked and prepared by your own hand and you'll never look back.

Enjoy!
11 comment| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 July 2008
If you're fed up with cook books stuffed with airy fairy recipes that you'll never use, then I think you'll love this one. Clear, simple, entertaining, and a right good read, I think it's one of the best cook books I've read in a long while.

I had no idea who Levi Roots was until I picked this up in the book shop the other day (I don't watch TV and was never into reggae) but if he's half as warm in person as he comes over in his book, then he must be a really nice guy!

Buy it - I think you'll like it.
Like many people I watched Levi Roots on Dragons Den...

...and was delighted he got his money.

I have also enjoyed many bottles of his sauce, which is wonderful and so with eager anticipation I pre-ordered this book which has just arrived.

From the foreword by Peter Jones, to the Levi Roots story it is a fun but inspiring read.

But then there are the incredible recipies. (After all that is what a cookbook is all about!)

So many cookbooks today seem to have the same old recipies in them, just with a few celebrity tweaks here and there. I mean how many new ways are there with Lasagna?

This is a million miles from those books. The recipies are authentic, different and so far are easy to cook. They seem to sum up (even though I have yet to visit the Carribbean) the vibrancy and simplicity of rural Caribbean cooking.

I am really looking forward to cooking my way through this book, which has been an inspiration to read.

Recommended.
on 22 August 2008
My friend bought me this book because she knew I was a great fan of Dragons Den and she had seen me consume a fair few bottles of Reggae Reggae Sauce since it hit the shelves.

Firstly I took a flick through the book and read Levi's amazing life story which really helps to give you an idea of the Jamaican culture behind the food. And then I threw myself right in because I was inspired by the food on offer. I prepared a meal for my housemates which they loved. The next day I baked a Jamaican Ginger Cake because I really like the cake you can buy - Levi's recipe is a lot better!

Do yourself a favour and put some music in your food! I hope I can gather some friends together and prepare some Jamaican dishes and drinks for them all to enjoy. Even better, everyone help out in the cooking, put some music on, and enjoy the energy of the food.

If Reggae Reggae Sauce and this book are anything to go by, then I really hope that Levi Root's restaurants take off because there is certainly space for Jamaican food in this country. Please do another book with more recipe's!
on 27 October 2008
What a brilliant and talented man. His dishes are easy to make and the good thing about all of the dishes in the book is that you can get the ingredients even in your local supermarket, if you have no good markets near you. The recipies when cooked taste like your mum's, grandmother's and if you lucky to have tasted ypur great granny's cooking then its like a blast from the past on your taste buds.
For All those young and old fellow british caribbeans that have lost the way and art of cooking due to whatever reasons, will find their way inside levi Roots Reggae Reggae Cookbook.
This is probably one of the best caribbean cook books out, and is far from intimidating as many other books can be.
It's absolutely a great book; A must buy.
[ASIN:000727596X Levi Roots' Reggae Reggae Cookbook]].
on 8 August 2008
I bought this book as my late grandad was Jamaican-but I never asked him how to teach me to cook authentic jamaican food
:-( so thought I'd give this a try!

This book hasn't disappointed so far, the rice and peas were absolutely delicious-they took a fair amount of time to prepare first time round (but then again I'm not a great cook!) but it was well worth it-I was eating them for DAYS afterwards as i couldn't bear to throw away such delicious leftovers!

I made the rum punch and the coleslaw for my birthday and it went down very well! Everyone was asking where I got the receipes from. I'm also really looking forward to making the patties!

I have had to get my family to send some of the ingredients up from London though as many aren't available up north! (i.e salt fish!)The websites in the appendix were a useful touch but the ingredients are expensive on it...

It was also interesting to read about Levi's life througout the book-if buy one cookery book this year make it this one!
on 29 January 2011
I love the traditional recipes in this book - there were always a few I wanted to find and here I have them.

I've only given three stars because I purchased as a kindle download and found there are no images as in the physical book! For a price almost as expensive as a physical book I would have liked some images!

If you know what the final dish should look like then this will be OK - but if not then I suggest the physical version !
on 7 August 2008
We've been following Levi's progress since seeing him impress the dragons on Dragon's Den & we're SO pleased to see him come so far in such a short period of time. If ever there was a person who was deserving a 'leg up' in the business world, it's Levi! We've bought the sauces so we just HAD to buy the book!

Coming from a caribbean background myself, I was so pleased to see these traditional recipes that are usualy passed down from generation to generation, published for all to enjoy. I also love the personal touch of Levi adding a little bit about himself, his upbringing in Jamaica & his life here-a really nice touch & a superbly refreshing change from the usual mundane cookbook genre. We can't wait to get cooking & put some of our own music in our food!

Congratulations on your success, Levi! May you go from strength to strength!

Just to add, ordered on 2nd, received today(7th)-well within estimated delivery, excellent service!
on 19 February 2016
Great cooking book. This was given to my girlfriend at the time which is now my x :) she loved it and I bet she still uses it on a regular basis. When we were together I used to use it more then her. The amount of recipes in this book is to die for. Theres a lot of selection for any occassion and it will leave your guests, friends or family asking for more, if cooked correctly that is. Make sure you follow the recipe fully without missing out on any ingredients, you wont believe how one missed ingredient changes the whole outcome of the flavour. I shall be looking at buying this book again, not for my current girlfriend, but for me, myself and I.
on 18 December 2009
If i could give this a 10 star rating I would! I already had Carribeean food made easy book, which is great, this just adds to easy authentic West Indian cooking recipes. Definately but this book, it is as good as his one that was on BBC, and does not duplicate any recipes. I have made loads of the recipes and they all turned out perfectly! I would give this book as a present, or just buy it for yourself some for excellent food!!!!!