on 7 October 2010
When I first decided to buy the fantastic Kindle3 I thought it was only right to get the cover designed for it.

My first thought on which cover to get was that both the standard and the lighted one were brilliant but about a third too expensive. Looking at the prices I decided that I should economise so I bought the standard cover without the light thinking that I already have a simple clip on light that would do the job fine.

Both the covers (excepting the light) are the same so the following review applies to both models.

The cover arrived (before the Kindle) and it is very very good. It fits the Kindle perfectly and in so doing gives protection. I really like the way that it is styled, the leather is gorgeous, the colours lovely (I bought the burnt orange) and it is so easy to use. It attaches to the Kindle in a matter of seconds, and in use is simplicity. I really like the elastic closure band, no fuss, just does the job. I also really like the way I can fold the cover back, fix it with the band and then either hold the Kindle with one hand or rest it on a cushion or in a book stand for 'hands free' use. The inside of the cover has a lovely 'felty' feel to it, so not only does it completely protect the screen and buttons of the Kindle, but it is also non slip so rests very easily on an angled surface.

Attaching my clip on light was ok, but after only a few days the battery was going down (because I was using the Kindle so much!) so I decided to think again about the lighted cover!

Having initially disregarded the lighted cover due to its cost I began to see the advantages over having a separate light. The light is always there! After kicking myself a bit over having wasted money on buying the standard cover I ordered the burgundy red lighted cover. It is brilliant! It is so clever just having the light there all the time, safely tucked away when not needed, but instantly available in low light. I thought the light would be uneven and therefore annoying but it is a very gentle natural light and becomes unnoticeable once absorbed in the reading - which is very very easy to do.

I don't understand why anyone having bought the best e-reader on the market will want to buy a cover which slips off or is just a stick-on cover. Don't hesitate about buying the best cover designed for the Kindle which does the job so brilliantly. Yes it is expensive but it will last, is a quality product and makes my Kindle look an even more amazing piece of kit than it already is in its own right.
5150+ comments| 1,634 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 September 2010
This review is posted after 5 days of use with the Kindle lighted cover(brown).

Positives
1) Good quality leather.
2) Swinging lock mechanism works very well and holds kindle in place securely.
3) The cover has been designed so the front cover extends fully backwards so as to overlap the back cover. At first I thought the increased thickness that results would be uncomfortable but I was pleasantly surprised how little you notice the cover when reading in this position.
4) The light (when reading only). Yes it is not evenly distributed over the entire screen but is perfectly adequate for reading at night. The difference in light from the top right hand side of the screen to the bottom left of the screen in my opinion is negligible.(However please see point 2 below for using the keyboard at night)

Negatives
1) The fastening mechanism - which comprises of what I can only describe as a thick elasticated string. I cannot help but wonder how long this string will last after repeated pulling and releasing. Yes it does the job but surely the designers could have come up with a better fastening mechanism. I hope to be proved wrong and like to think Amazon had some sort of robotic arm which was continually opening and releasing the kindle cover to test its longevity.
2) The light (when using the keyboard only). Although the light is perfectly usable when reading on screen I have found it to be lacking when using the keyboard at night. I have found myself having to strain to distinguish between the keys.
3) Muffled sound from speakers. Ok the text to speech option is at present not very good and as Amazon say it is experimental, but I thought I would mention that because the kindle speakers are located at the back of the unit, any sound that is played is muffled. Yes it sounds obvious and there is probably not much you can do about it (apart from turn up the volume) but I thought I would mention it.
4) Price. There is a niggling doubt in the back of my mind that the sum of the components does not reflect the overall price. In my opinion a price tag of around £35 is more realistic.
3232 Comments| 1,560 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 August 2010
The Kindle is my first eBook reader after 55 years of reading paper books (I started very young), and I've found this cover to be a great help in making the transition.

The cover looks good (I like the steel blue colour), is beautifully made and holds the Kindle securely. Reading, both with the cover in the open book position and with the top folded behind the Kindle, is very comfortable. The weight of the Kindle plus the cover is about the same as a 500 page paperback (around 15 ounces), which is fine for me.

I hesitated about whether to get the lighted version or not, but am really glad that I did as the light works very well. It's great for reading in bed at night and and will be extremely useful when I'm away from home. Although the lighting across the screen is uneven, I find the illumination is fine for reading, and the fact that the light is always available (and hidden away when not is use) makes up for this.

Before I got the cover it seemed expensive, but if it stands up well to sustained use it will be worth every penny.
1616 Comments| 579 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 September 2010
PROTECTION
Only buy this cover if you want the light because it offers the same level of protection as a hard cover on a book. Think of this cover as the hard cover on a book and the Kindle as the pages. In other words, the screen is protected from sharp items (just like the pages of hard cover book) but it will not keep liquids out and thin items can get in through the sides. If you live in the UK, where it rains a lot, you probably need to put the item in a plastic bag just to feel comfortable that it will not accidently get wet.

LIGHT
The light works well, although I don't think many would complain if it were stronger. However, it is good enough to read and I had no problem seeing the keys to type notes, etc. Additionally, if you hold the cover as a book, your partner (if sleeping on your left) cannot see the light. I like the light.

WEIGHT
It doubles the weight of the Kindle. I have weighed the Kindle and the cover and I have also weighed a 700 page paperback. The Kindle and cover weigh slightly less than the book. Therefore, the Kindle and cover weigh as much as a big paperback. Naturally, if you pick up the Kindle without the cover, it seems that the cover makes everything really heavy. However, in reality it is as much as a 700 page book and most of us would not think twice about buying a 700 page book because of its weight.

CONCLUSION
If you are looking for something to protect the Kindle and do not care about the light then no point in paying £50 for this cover. The best cover, protection and weight wise, would be a zip up type cover with a light weight hard cover (similar to what one can buy for portable hard drives). Unfortunately, I have not seen any yet but surely they will come out soon. Otherwise, if you like the idea of the light then get this cover because the light works fine.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 October 2010
I was a little wary about buying this to accompany my Kindle - I thought the £50 price tag was a bit steep for a small leather cover - but having read some of the reviews, determined to go for the lighted cover rather than the plain one. I'm glad I did.

Although £50 is quite pricey, it isn't too expensive for the quality and function of this case. The case is well made and well designed with a softly padded inside that moulds to the Kindle preventing anything from getting inside and damaging the screen. The case connects to the Kindle via 2 custom designed hooks. I had to fiddle a little to get my Kindle properly hooked in to start with, but once in place the connection is very secure: I can't see that the Kindle is going to accidentally come unhooked.

The reading light, which pulls out from the top right-hand corner of the case, draws its power from the Kindle itself. The light is ideal for bedtime reading, though doesn't illuminate the keyboard section at the bottom of the Kindle terribly well, so trying to use it for extended functions such as searching the Kindle store in dim light isn't optimal. The light powers on and off with the Kindle, so there's no wasted battery life.

With the excellent protection the case offers and the reading light making the Kindle easy to read even in dim light, about the only place I wouldn't feel comfortable taking my Kindle to read is in the bath!
on 9 November 2010
Having just bought a Kindle I wanted a case to protect it and initially couldn't decide between the lighted and non-lighted version. I eventually went for the lighted version and couldn't be happier with it. It's extremely comfortable to read with, the cover folds back very easily on itself if you don't want to hold it in an open book position, and the light has been invaluable, I use it constantly in low light conditions and wouldn't be without it now. There have been comments about the uneven spread of light and, whilst it is brighter at the top where the light pulls out, I must say I haven't found it to be a problem at all and it certainly hasn't detracted from my reading experience. The Kindle clicks into the case very easily (just make sure the metal contacts are totally covered).

They're not the cheapest cases in the world, but are very well made and do feel very luxurious. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is the elastic holding it shut, which at the moment works great, but will it last in the long-term? I suppose only time will tell. But overall I'm extremely pleased with it and would highly recommend spending a little bit more and buying the lighted version.
on 10 February 2011
I wanted to provide this video review, my first ever, so you can see exactly what you get for your money.

I hope you enjoy it and find it useful in your purchase decision.

Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle)
55 Comments| 276 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 July 2011
It's alot of money, I know, and I hesitated for a while before buying it. But having looked around for cheaper cases and after looking at the reviews on here I took the plunge and don't regret it for a second.

No faffing with batteries for the light, and it feels great to hold. I love the felt on the inside so holding it in one hand when it's folded back is a pleasure and the outside cover has proved really durable in my work bag, day in day out. The locks keep my Kindle there in the case securely too so none of that 'It's going to drop out now' worry at the back of your mind if you're holding it in a funny position. I'm not too hopeful that the elastic strap will last for anymore than a year or two but I try not to use it unless I have to like when I'm not at home. And yes the case feels a little heavy at first but then again I hold it when I stand up on daily commutes to work on the train with one hand and my hand doesn't ache so it's not a huge issue.

Oh I'm just utterly thrilled with this case!
on 18 January 2012
Just as the primary product it supports, a truly fine purchase. Slightly pricey, but I think worth it. Very well put together; the manner in which it holds the Kindle and the operation of the directed LED light is really good. Additionally offers robust protection for the Kindle with a stiff cover that doesn't over-bulk the whole thing. Fits comfortably into the leg pocket of utility trousers - great for travel. The delivery, as usual for Amazon, was swift and the packaging was more than adequate. A previous reviewer had questioned the longevity of the elastic fixing, but I have used mine for almost 12 months and given it some considerable abuse - it is still like new. Keeps the wife happy as I don't have an overbearing bedside lamp on whilst reading of an evening - the price is trivial compared to potential divorce costs...
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 September 2010
Having looked at all other available cases for my new Kindle 3 I opted for this mainly because of the light. The light is reasonably good enough to read in the dark. The kindle fits very neatly in the case. Leather quality is very good. I found the kindle is too light for my liking so the case adds a bit more weight but not significantly and gives a very comfortable feeling even hold with one hand. I would have preferred a magnetic latch to keep the case closed rather than the elastic cord which may not last long. It would have also been useful to have a couple of pockets inside. Overall I liked the case and I am pleased that I went for this rather than any other but it is very very over priced. Therefore only 3*.

See one answered question