on 22 March 2017
...when you write a review after having had this bike for almost 6 years. And now it is more expensive (I paid £160 for mine).

This bike has been quite good for me. First of all, it isn't carbon fiber or other fancy material and the "alloy" of the frame feels a lot like mostly steel considering the weight. So carrying it down 2 floors and then carrying it up 2 floors after a cycling session is in its own an exercise.

Initial assembly took a while simply because I like to enjoy my hobbies without being hurried. And to assemble a bike that you will be riding - and thus depend on it with your life - shouldn't be done quickly - unless you're a bike specialist. Which I am not. So I took my time and it ended up to be around 45 minutes to 1h, with good results (still alive after all those years, right?).

The ride is good. I don't know how much more expensive bikes ride, but I suppose there aren't any pink unicorns flying along side you and cheering as you shift gears. Speaking of which, the gear changes are smooth, but a bike shop can do better in tuning them. I haven't bothered because I never really got into this "shift when you go uphill so you pedal less intensely". It's a bike, I go out to exercise on it, uphill is supposed to be more difficult.

The brakes are not bad at all. I did ride bikes with disc brakes and they're a pain to maintain. This one has the classic pads which step on the rims. I did tune the front one so it never locks the front wheel as I don't enjoy flying. The rear one has that capability, which is p nice sometimes when you want to show off. Or, if it is wet outside, to demonstrate how artistic you can be whilst falling off.

Coming back to the ride, it is good. On asphalt. On bike trails it is absolutely atrocious. You can feel every bump in the road because there aren't any fancy suspensions to smooth things out. Then again, this makes the rider much more "in tune" with what is happening, e.g. when you're doing 30mph on it, you _will_ know it. The same when you're about to lose control in a corner you entered too fast.

Overall, it is a reasonably priced bike which in 5 years shows no signs of wear and tear. The handlebars wrapping is still intact and in good condition and there are no awful things happening with the joints or the riding train, and bear in mind this has been stored outside, on the balcony, so it's had its fair share of rain, wind, moisture and temperature changes.

Yes, some bolts rusted and it needs a tyre change after some kids punctured the back tyre a little while ago, yes, it isn't the best out there, but it does make you smile when outdoors and riding it and that is the most important thing after all.

Oh, and you can use your car pressure tool to check the tyre pressure and your car compressor (or pump, if you really like exercise) to pump up the tires because of the car-like valves on the tyres. How cool is that?
review image review image review image
on 20 August 2015
Ok! So had this bike about 2 weeks now and overall quite impressed with it. However tonight on my ride home I found the gears to be out of line and there's a nasty clunking sound coming from the shaft. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to tweek the gears but I'm a bit concerned about the clunking sound! Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
on 26 July 2014
For the price cant be beat. Down side had to buy new 700 x23c tyres for it and some spd pedals. I have completed one 55 mile cycle event on this bike and in training for the next. Manage to keep up with the other road bikes except on the hills.
on 23 August 2017
Bought as a Xmas present for me by family I have used this once or twice a week and I have had no problems whatsoever nice budget bike looks more expensive than it is
on 10 September 2016
Nice bike cycled 30 miles to try it out .
It's a great buy .
on 25 June 2014
Having read previous reviews, the bike lived up to expectations. Yes you have to adjust the derailleurs, yes you have to tighten the spokes, and yes you have to re-wind the handlebar tapes. But, once you've done all that it is a great little budget road bike.
on 17 July 2017
can not get all the gears too work.so will have too take some where to fix.
on 20 November 2015
I bought this bike 18 months ago (May 2014) from Amazon, so I've lived with it for a while now.

It arrived promptly and assembling it took around 20 minutes. However, unless you're an expert with bikes, it's worth taking it to your local bike shop to have the gear and braking system tuned up. Otherwise you will get the clunking gear changes which will damage and shorten the life of the gear system if you don't bother to get it tuned up.

I live in Bristol which - for those of you who don't know it - has lots of hills. The bike's fairly hefty weight becomes an issue when cycling up hill. If you want a bike for just getting around the city or town, then get a hybrid or mountain bike.
on 7 January 2016
I have used it for triathlons and also use it for my daily commute into work. It has never let me down in the 18 months I've had it.
It is heavier than my friends road bike.. and does get a few disapproving looks from 'bike snobs' in the triathlon world.
I have changed the seat to a padded one for more comfort as the original one was very narrow and hard.. That's the only reason it lost a star in the rating.
on 20 June 2014
Bought it for 150 pounds at the time and it has a great cost / benefit relation.
I've being using it for 4 months every day and never had a problem.