on 19 July 2011
This is the second time I have ordered one of these. The first time (about 12-18 monthes ago) I returned them and complained to Speedo because they had changed the style of the earplugs from the ones pictured (with the ridges) that actually look as if they will work to normal ear'buds' that were frankly useless (for hearing under water or stopping in the ear during swimming). When I phoned Speedo they said that they had too many complaints about the ridged earphones being hard to get out (YES! GREAT! I said give me some! (they couldn't...)).
Well, I recently seen pics of these again with the ridged earphones, so I thought right, either they have changed back to the ridged 'phones due to customer feedback and I get what I want or they haven't and I'm onto trading standards!! Well, happy days! They are the ridged type! They fit and are brilliant (I swim an hour every day and do a well paced front crawl (2-3mph) with no problems at all). You do need to fit them properly though or you'll be playing 'name that tune' rather than enjoying a clear sound (the player and 'phones wouldn't win any awards on dry land, but the sound does actually improve under water).
The first thing to do is take the phones off the plastic bits that wrap around your ears, then insert them into your ear like ear plugs. If you are used to wearing the foam earplugs used around heavy machinery then you will know how to do this, but if you aren't familiar then do the following:
To insert the left earphone, grab the top of your left ear with your right hand (stretching over the top of your head) and pull it up. This will present a straightened ear canal to insert the earphone into; push the earphone into this straightend canal. I say to take the plastic wrap arounds off because these prevent you from being able to insert the earphones in properly and can make them uncomfortable (don't worry they will stay in without the plastic bits if you have them in properly!). To insert the right earphone do the same (i.e. reach over your head to your right ear with your left hand, etc)
on 14 September 2011
I was dubious at first after reading some of the earlier reviews for the 1GB version of this product, but decided to take the plunge (excuse the pun) after reading the earlier review of this model and its revised features.

It is compact and very easy to operate
The ear pieces are 'tree' shape, not buds and stay in brilliantly
The sound quality is really good
There is a manual on disc for those not familiar with creating playlists etc
There is another short and very useful guide on how to convert itunes music into MP3 format

I converted music from the iplayer, shuffled and loaded it onto the Aquabeat within half an hour - so no problems there or time consuming messing about reloading discs from my collection onto the computer to make them MP3 friendly.

On the whole, I am really pleased with this product and hope to get many relaxing hours of chilled out swimming from it.
on 10 November 2011
I am loving this item. I got sick of my own thoughts whilst swimming, making the whole process boring. I found this on Amazon, and I wear it to the gym and in the pool and I am dead chuffed with the improvement in my fitness. I cannot wait to get in the pool. Buy this if you are bored and want some light relief, and it is light compared to my iphone for the gym. LOOOVVVE IT!!!!!
on 8 December 2016
Never really got these to work, I managed to transfer some music across in the end but could really listen to it in the pool, they kept coming out on the push offs. They might work for gentle swimming though.
on 12 May 2013
Was very excited initially when I swam using the product. Soon realised its just not loud enough. On more than one occasion the long ear plugs detached and got stuck in my ear , requiring a tweezers to remove it, not pleasant.
Programming is a bit of a pain also, converting iTunes to mp3 .
The headphones also fall off the ear quite a bit.
There is room for improvement on this product that is certainly achievable, but would I buy a new and improved version if it came out. I doubt it, overall, it's been a letdown.
on 28 September 2011
The machine is very good to swim with, but too tinny for listening to out of the pool.
Thought the earphones were super-annoying at first, then discovered that if you pop off the plastic shape that goes round the ear they fit very well, especially when using the longer ridged ear-piece. Once youve popped off the plastic shape, for perfect in-ear comfort cover the bare plastic end with the smaller of the extra rubber ear-pieces supplied. This makes them fit perfectly in the inside contour of your ear!
Very impressed by how many swims I get out of one charge, it has made lap-swimming so much less-boring, and if they ever get the sound up to the land-based quality of say the sansa clip, I may end up swimming all day.
Buy it. It does what it says.
on 11 July 2013
Having tried 3 other products, this has the most amazing sound. Takes a bit of time to getting the loops around the ear to fit,only because i've never worn any-thing like this before.Seconds to change a song,no muffling like some other products,and not having to stop and shake out ear phones.Love it so much,actually stopped other swimmers doing lengths in pool to let them use it.For any-one who does swimming as a serious exercise,speedo Aquabeat is a must.Problem now is getting out of pool!!!!
on 15 August 2014
I use this every time I swim and it has made my swimming life most enjoyable. However the headphone part is an instrument of torture, so you'll need to buy separate waterproof headphones in order to use it.
on 1 June 2013
I used a previous Aquabeat regularly for two years before it stopped working and loved it. I replaced that model with this, but was extremely dissatisfied. The earphones are ridiculous; way too large and so flexible that they simply do not stay in your ears whilst swimming. After two fruitless and very frustrating attempts to use it in the pool I have given up and returned it.
on 20 August 2012
We all know swimming can be really boring and that's why I ordered one of these. I was a bit dubious because it's not exactly cheap but I was pleasantly surprised!

I was a little nervous when I first got in the water - hoping I didn't electricute myself and everyone in the pool! - However, it worked like a charm! Great volume for swimming (even with crazy olympic swimmers flying past me!) and I'm really happy with it. I couldn't imagine going swimming without this - easy to use, simple to skip tracks while swimming etc.

All round a great buy!