on 2 October 2013
I thought these demijohns were very expensive especially since I have discovered that I can buy TWO similar containers (containing spring water) in Morrisons for £1;80. They don't of course have temperature strips. So buy the water, tip it out and you have two sterile 5 litre containers
33 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 October 2013
MMMM still not sure about these plastic is very thin ?? lids seem to fit tight and the airlock works ok i normally use the other sort?? i dont know if they just sell the cap and airlock?? i did make my own using the big water containers you can get at any supermarket and they would be great if these lids and airlock fit because the plastic is much more thicker?/
on 31 October 2013
I'm aware I can get the same bottles containing water in the supermarket but these arrived totally clean and unmarked complete with drilled stopper, airlock, grommet and useful temp strip. My intention is to keep it simple and brew wine using juice, I've successfully brewed one batch using these and liked the fact they are light and easy to clean and move about. I'm using these two for the main fermentation and then siphoning off into two shop bought water bottles of the same size for racking for a few weeks.. works well!
on 27 November 2013
Thanks for the very fast delivery.

Well packaged. Nice clean lines, simple to use cap and air trap and nice little touch - the thermometer stuck to the lower side of each demi-john. Good price although I do realise the same bottle full of water could be bought far cheaper from our local supermarket. You would still need to modify the cap to take an air lock, buy the airlock and purchase the thermometer.

I am happy with my purchase - ready to use. Off to start syphoning off my wine and cider into my new demi-johns!
on 30 September 2017
Arrived this morning and working great I will always buy from Balliihoo just perfect, once again 10/10 A+. You can't go wrong with Balliihoo. Top people.
on 3 November 2017
it does the job but a bit overpriced as super market 1 gallon bottles of water are just a good to use if you add an air lock
on 6 August 2014
it's a bit plasticky and to be honest I would rather go for a glass demijohn because when you pick one of these up the pressure inside the demijohn changes to the point where water goes down the airlock due to its flexibility
on 22 September 2014
A fair price. Do what they are meant to do. Supplied with airlocks. The only down side, the airlocks need topping up fairly regularly to see that fermentation is still taking place, but neverless, they keep the nasties out.
on 28 October 2013
My first attempt at home brewing and I didn't want to initially spend a lot on the equipment. These plastic containers seem to do the job just fine. Takes up less room because its a square bottle. And very lightweight. The bungs are very easy to use.
on 18 July 2017
I haven't used it yet. I am happy with the demijons