on 1 June 2017
I am reviewing this item because I have recently bought a replacement. The plastic shavette is good for a beginner because it holds the blade out far so you can see exactly where you are shaving. However the case cracks overtime no longer securing the blade in the holder which can be dangerous.

This product lasted me a few years but I would recommend a metal shavette as it is weighted and would not snap like this plastic one.
on 7 May 2017
Don't buy it. Not safe and it doesn't even do what it is designed for. I seem over several other Razor Blades and are safe to use. It's too sharp and not design for skin!
on 5 January 2015
This is shaving tool of very high quality made in the United Kingdom of the Great Britain. It is very good and very efficient for an old fashion shave.
on 28 January 2015
Good
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 February 2011
I got this for 2 reasons, 1 to trimming neck hair and creating straight lines, 2 to practice the hold for single blade shaving.

The razor feels slightly flimsy to hold, but it is perfect for what I got it for. This comes with an amazing 100 blades. You open the razor, push the lever forward and put in a disposable blade, then slide the lever back and it locks it in place, with just a small edge of the blade protruding. The razor is easy to hold and not too heavy, in fact when compared to the DE safety razor it is super lightweight.

As I intend to eventually move up to the straight razor, this gives me the perfect chance to practice holding the razor and learning the new techniques required with the associated shave. At the moment I still prefer my Edwin Jagger Imitation Ivory Double Edge Safety Razor With Pack Of 5 Blades De87bl.

If you are interested in straight razor shaving, the disposable blades means you do not have to worry about honing the blade and stropping before use. No maintenance means more spare time. The Shaving Factory have a great razor here and is worthy of any collection even for the occasional neck shave, at this price you can't really go wrong.
on 3 September 2011
This razor comes with 100 blades which will last for ages. I use each blade only once because there are so many. It's comfortable to hold and pretty eeasy to use, even for novices like me. However, the razor has these bits where the blade it supposed to sit to keep it secure. But one of these bits on mine wasn't big enough for the blade to sit in and I didn't know what the blade wouldn't fit. However, once I found what the problem was, I used a fork to widen the bit that ws too small and now it all fits perfectly.

I would recommend this product.
on 16 August 2011
It is a good product but there is room for improvement. Not particularly comfortable to hold and the blades could be better but for the price I wasnt expecting the best!
on 28 November 2013
First time user of a cut throat razor but I was disappointed at the quality of this. Handle is poor quality plastic, the blade holder doesn't retract at the same height and the overall finish is poor. I suppose you get what you pay for so I cant complain too much.
on 10 July 2015
The product (delivered direct from Amazon's warehouse) was as described/pictured. I tried it out this morning so here are my thoughts on it.

I bought this 'shavette' style straight razor to see if I can cope with that style of shaving in the long term before I invest in a 'real' Straight Razor (Cut-throat as we always called them).

First, setting it up:

It's fiddly to get the blade in correctly. They come in a tiny paper packet (individually wrapped) and you slide out the 'holder' part of the mechanism, fit the blade so it slots onto the pegs, then slide it back into place. In theory...

In practice, it was quite tricky getting it to stay in the correct position while you slid it back in. This is because the part the blade protrudes from is a tight squeeze (by design) to hold it firmly, which can result in it riding up at the inner end as it slides into place. It took me 4 attempts and a little thought to finally get the blade into position.

The shave:

It is not that hard to use. I watched some YouTube videos by an American gentleman who demonstrates every aspect of the Straight Razor usage and care, so I was well prepared. The Shavette style razor seems to need a slightly wider angle from the face in order to cut the hair well as the thickness of the holding mechanism prevents the ultra-thin blade making contact with the face at lesser angles, such as those used with the real Straight Razor.

The blade cut the hair well and, when rinsing it, it was easy to see when you had used the correct angle by the amount of bristle appearing in the sink. I had deliberately left my chin to have two days' growth so as to ensure I could see what I was doing. The shave is good. I had difficulties around my lower lip, but no cuts at all.

I would strongly advise anyone considering trying this to watch one of those 'How to Shave with a Straight Razor' videos first. It is more involved than Hollywood might have led you to believe.
on 5 August 2013
good for beginers however if u are planning to stay with straight shaving u gotta get a good brand. btw razors still almost full eventhough I've been using it for a while