on 5 October 2012
Having owned the world's worst toaster anything was going to be an improvement and this certainly is.

It looks much better than the photos suggest and is stylish without trying to place functionality as an afterthought.

The lift and look feature is a genuine benefit and not just a gimmick and the browning dials are easy to use and their effect on the finished slice is easy to judge.

The slots really are bigger than most, being able to take the length of on uncut loaf slice and the width if you go for a "doorstep".

Perhaps most important, the toasted slice is is nice and even across both sides regardless of which slots are used (from me, that is a compliment as I am fussy).

If I have a gripe it is the speed of toasting - nowhere near as bad as my old toaster but not super quick either, hence 4 stars rather than 5.
12 people found this helpful
|44 Comments|Report abuse
on 11 November 2012
I bought this toaster to replace an old Tefal toaster that we had for a very long time.To be fair I had a £10 Amazon Gift Voucher towards the cost of the toaster so did not pay full price for it.
It toasts really well and makes a nice job of toasted bagels and thicker slices of bread.For toasties I use the little bags where you put the sandwich in to be toasted and the slots are a good size for these too.Making four slices of toast at once is really handy,and it is great that it has independent settings,if one person likes their toast browner than the other you can set one side of the toaster to dark and one to lightly brown the toast if you so wish.I am really happy with this toaster but there is one thing I would like to warn people about.
The outside wall of the toaster gets incredibly HOT! If you have toddlers or young children you would have to keep them away from this while it was on or they really would get a nasty burn.I do not have young children in the house so this was not an issue for me,but felt it best to warn people who do.It is the one downside to the product,it could have done with a 'cool wall' material on the outside.Other than this it is a good toaster and my family like it too.
9 people found this helpful
on 11 November 2014
Well it's now been working for a month and down graded my 5* to 1*. My last toaster was working, but toasted uneven on both sides. This one it turns out is no better,to get both sides toasted I still need to lift the bread half way through a cycle and turn them around. Not what I had hoped for, and I've wasted my money.

Well it's been working for three days. Only comment I can make is it is very large. It replaces another 4 slice toaster which is about half the size of this one. No complaints other than the lead. It's so very short. It means if I use it on a worktop its under an overhead cupboard and the heat causes the plastic finish on the doors to swell-up and shrivel.

Why can't the manufacturers put a decent lead on the toaster.

It is now sitting on the table with an extension. Not what I would have wanted when in use.
One person found this helpful
on 25 March 2014
I bought this after reading the reviews, looking for a brushed steel design. Really glad I got this.

Looks: perfect design, the front is quite reflective which I didn't realise but I really don't mind it as the whole look is spot on.

Quality: feels lighter than you think, not as bulky as other toaster but not too flimsy. The levers are light to the touch, it all feels solid enough.

Toast: this is the whole point after all rather than it being a design feature! Toast ranges from light to burnt with a lot of control throughout the spectrum (I happen to like it a bit black at times, especially with Marmite!). We leave it on medium and we all seem to like it.

Features: my wife loves the warming feature when her scrambled eggs aren't quite ready, the defrost option is effective.

Overall a very nice toaster, no complaints at all. Highly recommended.

Update: We've had the toaster for a month or so and really love it. Just noticed that if you put down 4 slices it heats one side slightly faster (the left) so it pops up first, you butter it and then the right pops up. Genius! Can't say enough how much I love the toaster. Just get it and you'll love it too.
on 18 September 2012
This is a great value for money item. It is basically 2 x double sliced toaster in one. You can have four slices toasting at two different settings at the same time. Which is great, as I prefer my toast to be more well done and my wife prefers "warmed bread" The other really good thing is that once you have discovered your preferred setting (mine being No 4) you can put frozen bread in, press the frozen button and it will make the adjustments automatically and you get your usual coloured toast.
It is so easy to operate. Simply put in the bread pull the lever down and it is set. Press the button with the blue light and it is off or await for it to pop up when your pre set setting has been reached. There is a button to reheat your toast but I cannot imagine a circumstance when you would want to do this.
So basically there are 3 buttons a lever and a dial for each set of two slots. Top button for frozen, middle for reheat, bottom to cancel, Dial to set level of toasting required and the lever to lower the bread and start the toasting process.
The slots take big, thick slices as well as small thin ones. So all tastes are catered for.

The one and only downside is that the sides of the machine do get extremely hot during use.
on 4 February 2013
I would love to know what goes on at design meetings for toasters? I would hope that, at a fairly early stage, someone somewhere introduces the idea that a fundamental requirement of a toaster is to toast a typical 'loaf sized' slice of bread. Alas, I fear not, as most toasters I have tried fail miserably with this most basic of requirements, leaving the owner with a piece of toast which is typically 75-80% toasted, with the bit which was left sticking out of the toaster left feeling, well, a bit soft and 'bread like'! I am happy to report though, that this Russell Hobbs model toasts every slice of bread that you throw at it, from top to bottom, and it will even do it four slices at a time if you want it to! One quick tip though, you have to put the toast in sideways on, otherwise, you will be left thinking that this is just like most other toasters... It isn't, it is a great looking, fully functioning 4-slice at a time toaster which, incredibly, actually toasts all of the bread! Remarkable!
on 3 January 2013
Can't really get too excited about a toaster, so when our last one perpetually tripped the electricity I opted for this purely based on positive ratings without reading the review. Delivered via Prime and plugged in toasting my breakfast the very next day, producing perfect consistent toasted bread quickly without any fuss. The lift up feature is useful when you want to monitor how brown stuff you don't regularly toast has got, so I don't wind up chucking the first two hot cross buns of any packet in the bin!

Slots are wide enough for everything we toast, including bagels which used to get caught in the last machine. The sides are cool wall and even the polished top surface resists fingerprints and crum removal is very straightforward. I assume the cable length is purposely short as a safety feature, and not just that copper prices are on the up, but don't expect to site it anywhere other than directly in front of a socket.
on 6 July 2013
I had been using a Dualit 2-slice toaster but decided I needed a 4-slice toaster and chose the Russell Hobbs. It is big though not as big as some of the reviews had led me to expect. It is about 12 inches wide and deep and 7.5 inches high. For its size it is very lightweight. When it arrived I could not believe it was a toaster because even in the packaging it was considerably lighter than my 2-slice Dualit. The lead is exactly two feet in length, which is fine for me but might inconvenience some. It gets very warm, but not hot, during use but cools very quickly after use.

The toaster has all the features one expects of a modern toaster and accommodates anything up to an inch wide, but it will not manage a large slice of bread because the top of the bread will not toast. The Russell Hobbs takes much longer to toast a slice of bread than does my Dualit but the toast is crisper. It usually browns both sides evenly but I find that with any toaster a slice of bread can sometimes lean towards one side and toast unevenly.

A good toaster and at the current price very good value.
on 4 January 2013
I received this a couple of days ago so have had a couple of uses so far, and so far so good. It looks nice out of the box - I would say that the front silver metal is quite thin, but OK for the job and certainly good for the money paid. The quality of toasting is about the same as other toasters I have had in this price bracket (the two sides of toast are sometimes slightly different shades of brown, but that's really not a problem for me - at least not one that I am willing to fix by buying a toaster in the £100-£200 price bracket).
The toast gaps are deep enough to accommodate an entire standard slice of bread (Hovis Best of Both size), so it toasts the whole piece rather than just the bottom 7/8th's. It also pops the toast out nice and high once toasted, so you don't burn your fingers or need to use a knife to extract the toast.

All in all, no down sides that I can see and excellent for the price.
on 25 July 2014
I spent a long time reading reviews before deciding on this toaster, and I am glad I did. It replaced a two slice machine from a well known manufacturer where the bread slices didn't go fully into the toaster and of course came out toasted unevenly. With this design, not only does the slice from a standard "toastie" loaf fit in completely but it will even fit in long side across for an optimum toast.
I like the "look and see" feature enabling you to check progress before final pop up and the quick warm up button for when the toast has been left for a few minutes before being taken out. The boost button for use with frozen slices works a treat. In short - a well designed and built appliance. Well worth the usual keen Amazon price.