on 1 July 2011
I bought this self inflating mat in August 2010 and have since used it on 4 camping trips of between 4 and 9 nights, and a number of 'back garden holidays' with my son. It's an excellent product that, if fully inflated, should give you a great nights sleep. It's certainly better than an airbed that I used on previous tips that required constant re-inflation, was bulky and didn't seem to insulate from the ground as well as the Vango mat.

TIPS
1. Although it's a 'self inflating' mat you really need to let it inflate itself and then blow it up more yourself to get the best from it. The trick is to blow until it resists (blows back) then quickly fasten it off. If not fully inflated you may find yourself tossing and turning to get comfortable.
2. Although (as the product photo shows) there is a raised pillow area, it isn't very high so you really need an additional pillow if you want your head to be comfortable.
3. To deflate, it helps to open both valves and then roll it up, without folding it in two, to push out most of the air. Then fasten the valves up and unroll it. Now fold it in two and roll up again, squeezing tightly - at a certain point the air left in it will have inflated the unrolled portion, this is time to open the valves again to complete rolling and then fasten the valves again. This way it rolls up tightly and fits very easily into its bag.

I hope this review has been useful to you.
0Comment| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 August 2011
I bought mat this a month ago for camping.. and really satisfied with the product for the price... It is nice and comfortable.. as other reviewers said.. you should consider the points below before buying it..

- Although it is self inflating.. you might have to blow it few times to make it fully inflated..
- the raised head rests are not much of use if you like high pillows..
- packed size is a bit too big.. so do not compare it to air mats
- size of this one is not ideal for wild camping.. only useful if you are travelling by car to the camp size
- folding it back is a bit tricky you will have to do a bit of fight to deflate it..
- make sure you compare the tent size before you buy
pros
- fully inflated, it is as comfy as an air bed
- two can sleep on it very easily
- comes with nice sack and repair kit

nice purchase over all...
on 28 June 2011
This is a good sleeping mat. I went to Dorset a few weeks ago and found this mat to be much warmer than my old air bed. The bonus is if you are on your own you can fold it over and have twice the thickness. I kept it as a double because I was sharing my tent with my dog, he liked it too. It does take quite a bit of puff to inflate it fully though. It is easy to deflate and put back into its stuff sack. All in all I'm very pleased with it.
on 19 September 2011
Really chuffed with this! When it arrived it was exactly what I wanted and I wouldn't have got it cheaper anywhere else. I have been camping with it and it's SO comfortable!
on 1 September 2013
I got sick of using roll matts that would constantly move, and didn't want to be on the hard floor. This was great. Me and the missus spent a few nights on this mattress at glastonbury and was lovely and warm. You do need a pillow still! and best to line the bottom with a sleeping bag but overall very happy.
on 31 August 2011
excellent my first camping experience was a pleasure only a two man tent but thoroughly enjoyed my restful nights after some hard hiking.easy to use.
on 3 January 2014
These mats are great!! Like other people, we let it inflate and then gave a few extra puffs, though not too many or it becomes too firm. My hubby and I love the mattress, it is a definite upgrade on those awful air mattresses that leak. This lasts days without any top up! And getting it back in its sack is dead easy - we followed the suggestion of another reviewer of laying it flat, rolling it to get out most of the air, closing the valves, then folding it over an re-rolliing it, letting out any excess air right at the end. The bag has loads of extra space - no problem getting it in!

The seller was great - the first one came with a bit of damage. He was quick to replace it by courier. The service was good enough and the product nice enough that we then ordered 2 single mattresses for our kids from him.
on 7 July 2014
Brilliant, so easy to put up. Is much easier to put up then to put away. Fro the double helps to have someone to do up the valves as you roll it up, then unroll and repeat to get back in bag.

Bag was a bit flimsy but is not really needed.

Is to big (5cm) to hike with but only just, fine for carrying short distances (<0.5miles) and so much more comfortable than airbead.

Did not deflate at all during 7 days of use with 2 sleeping on it. I love that you can stand, kneel on it so have suddenly much more inner tent space compared to air bed which bounces you about!
on 21 December 2013
This is so much more comfortable and easy than an airbed. With an airbed, I hated my hips grinding into the floor if the bed wasn't pumped really hard, rolling into each other, feeling sticky in the morning - and all that pumping! Never had the right attachment.
Granted, the hardest part of the self-inflated mattress is rolling it up at the end of your stay, but it's doable as long as you can keep it squashed as you roll. If you give it a good (rather than professional) squashing, it will fit back into the bag without trouble.
Apparently, to keep it in best shape you need to keep it flat, so think about storage space before you buy. We stick ours flat in black bags in the loft.
on 21 July 2013
Have used it three times since I bought it - never on the ground on its own but as part of a combo (top of camp bed etc.). Have slept like a log - better sleep than in my own bed at home. Quite large and work to fully deflate - however, I just place it partially deflated back in my trailer. Quality seems good and I bought two singles as well - 10 cm for use by kids when camping.

See one answered question