on 22 November 2011
I bought a pair of these a couple of months ago, having owned and used a pair of Sennheiser CX300s which are very good, but bass is a bit wooly. I thought these might be an improvement, but sadly the Muse Carpenters have virtually no bass at all, at least compared to the Sennheisers. Thought at first maybe they weren't sitting in my ears correctly, so I tried jamming them in as far as possible, but bass was still rubbish. Suffice it to say these are now sitting at the back of a drawer and I am back to my Sennheiser CX300s, which are far from perfect, but much better than these Muse Carpenters. Would have given them one star, but mid-range and treble sounds ok, so I've given them two. Personally though, I don't see the point in 'phones with such poor bass. NOT recommended.

Update. I've been giving them another chance this afternoon and I'm prepared to concede that I may have been a bit harsh in my review above. Trying them out with a bit of Rock, there definitely is bass there which extends quite low as long as I hold the earphones jammed into my ears the whole time, so it may be that my ears are the problem more than the earphones. I'm still not happy with the sound balance, even forcibly jammed into my ears, which is too bright for my liking. Its possible they are better suited to classical music, where a powerful bass is not so critical. Anyway, I still much prefer my Sennheisers, but I'm giving the Carpenters three stars instead of two because if you like bright sounding earphones and your ears are better suited to them than mine, you might just like them.

My final word would still be that I feel there are better earphones available for the money, although that may change if these were on offer at a much cheaper price.
on 20 June 2012
A problem with most popular headphones is that they are less about sounding natural, and more about impressing with kick-ass bass. If you want the latter forget these. By the same token they will never match the open and lifelike sound of classic headphones like the Grado SR60s. What these do provide at a budget price is a sound that is balanced and more open than most noise blocking designs. On classical music they are plump only when they need to be, provide bass when they are meant to, and give a treble that does not go harsh or is exagerated in any way. The only proviso is that there is a slight "fizzy" quality to the upper mid/treble, which settles down a bit as they break in, and is not irritating. The noise blocking is OK but not exceptional. The cable rubbing noise is not as bad as some that are fabric covered but is still there. Comfort is fine, and they seem well made.
Though very poorly marketed and unlikely to make it to any serious listeners shortlist as a result, these are a well balanced and quite acceptable set of earphones for those who listen to a wide range of music but cannot afford to take a risk on more expensive sets that you can't get round to listening to. The built in to to the cable microphone for smartphone use works well, and is a bonus.
This might read like damning with feint praise, but with so many murky, bass dominant headphones on the market that mask so much music and speech - these are a safe budget to low middling choice, and for £17.99 (the last price shown) represents good value.
on 7 December 2011
i bought these as a replacement headset for my iphone 4. sound quality is not amazing but ok i guess. bass is a bit tinny. if anything they are very loud which is good in certain situations. the ear buds didn't fit particularly well even though the come in three different sizes (old Sony buds had a much better fit) and kept falling out in the gym.

main reason i went for these was the sturdy looking cable as pretty much every single headset i've ever bought loses sound in one speaker after a few month. unfortunately the same happened with these three month in. first flutter then failure. very disappointed.. again.
on 19 February 2012
Admittedly, I'm still in the honeymoon stage, but I adore these headphones. The sound quality is excelent and the workmanship is equally sound. I have long been a fan of SkullCandy earbuds, but have had to switch since SkullCandy appears to have abandoned iPhone 4 support for this price range. The Muse Carpenter, however, are amazing at a really reasonable price. The microphone and in-line remote work briliantly, I am a total convert.
on 27 August 2011
These in-earphones look very smart, are easy to insert and fit well (in my ears); they have three sets of plugs to get the fit right for you. The leads are like braided cord and seem very sturdy compared to other makes. There is a control built in for on/off and mic.

I normally do any listening with a pair of Sennheiser CX 300-ll earphones, but my wife has taken a liking to them so I thought I'd try some other makes. Compared to them, the Muses are bright sounding and generally disappointing, no better than the Apple earphones that I prefer not to use. But they do look nice.