TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 December 2016
This is the game I bring out when I'm trying to convince others of the joys of board gaming.

It's simple to set up, the components are lovely and bright, the rules straight forward and it plays in around 30 minutes.
It's also co-operative which I always find best for new players as there's no chance of them being out of the game after the first few minutes.

However, it's not too simple as to make it unappealing for more seasoned players. Ramping up the difficulty and/or playing one of the alternative island layouts makes this an infuriatingly difficult game that really does require coordinated teamwork to succeed.
4 people found this helpful
on 30 January 2018
This game is absolutely brilliant.
The aim - to beat the game!
If you want a game to get your kids collaborating and get the whole family talking to each other whilst developing a collective strategy, THIS IS IT!

Develops reasoning, strategy, verbal communication, persuasion skills and much more.

Game takes about 30 minutes to play

Every new game is very different

We beat the game easily first time and thought it was straight forward. It trounced us the next 2 times - we were more humble after that!!!!
on 23 February 2016
Quick review: Read that this game is really easy for experienced gamers... I have to disagree. I have a gaming group and we play games all the time... if you play this properly it's hard to end the game without the island sinking. I think people are forgetting to do deck shuffles when you get a tides rise card -- we've played a few times and we didn't read the rules right at first and thought it was WAY too easy... upon finding out the proper rules, we've beat it once... just once.
3 people found this helpful
on 6 March 2016
Really good fun. My wife and I loved playing this. Beat the board on the first two levels and lost on the third yet to play the fourth. A nice game to play together and we have played Forbidden Desert with friends and that was great with four. Looking forward to playing this one with four.

Really pretty game with nice pieces. Would reckomend to anyone new to gaming or if you have been playing games like this for years. Beats just playing the same old games again and again
5 people found this helpful
on 24 October 2013
Purchsed this as an introduction to co-operative games for my 9 year old daughter and she loves it. I was worried it may be too much strategy but once she had the rules down the game was out every day. The game is easier with less players but can be made more challenging by setting your difficulty.

The game itself is well made with great quality components, a simple premise and gameplay which always builds in tension as the game progresses. The only part which could be slightly better is the treasures which struck me as being quite plastic but for £12 as the price and the cards and tiles of very good quality it is a minor grumble.

Overall an excellent introduction to co-operative (non competative) board games which is priced sensibly enough to not make it a gamble when purchasing.
on 29 December 2016
I was a but dubious about buying this game but I'm so glad I did. Its absolutley fantastic. such a simple idea but really well done. even my wife ( who doesn't like board games) played this twice and loved it. Just ordered Forbidden Desert too. This game is well worth the price.
3 people found this helpful
on 3 August 2013
Having recently gotten sucked back in to boardgames, I have been ordering, borrowing and making them left right and center but this was actually purchased without knowing too much about it as it was going for a good price. My friends and I opened it up today after receiving it (quickly I might add) and had a great shock as none of us had ever played a co-operative board game before. If you are in the same position, or even if you have, I would go ahead and get this as it makes for a surprisingly interesting time.

Game Play
Essentially, you are on an island and must escape before it sinks but after getting hold of four treasures that can be found on the island. Because you are all in it together the mechanics are easy to work out and the strategy employed is entirely new. Game play is quick enough not to drag on but short enough to add tension and suspense - our games cam in between 25 and 35 minutes or so with the first play maybe slightly longer.

Game Construction
The pieces and art are very well made and really add to the theme and overall play. The treasures themselves are little works of art and the tiles are very sturdy so I expect them to stand up to repeated play which is great for the price. Additionally, the game comes in a tin instead of a box and all the pieces have their own little home which, as a person who is forever sorting out playing pieces, I am eternally grateful for.

Overall
If you are looking for a game that will surprise you and draw you in, I would definitely give this a go on it's own or as a warm up before a longer game on game night.
on 24 March 2015
This is a brilliant introduction to the world of co-operative board games. The box (metal tin) is nice and fits all the pieces in well. The art work is attractive and the quality of all the components is high. The game is easy to setup and the rules are well written and easy to understand. The game offers a good level of challenge, on some occasions you will win reasonably easily and then the next time you play the cards will come out unfavourably and you will be defeated before you even know what's hit you. This doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the game and I would thoroughly recommend it to everyone. Once you have mastered this I would suggest moving on to Forbidden Desert which offers a little more of a challenge and beyond that Pandemic which is a superb game.
on 2 May 2016
It's a really good game, and always nice to see more cooperative board games. The feeling of urgency as the island crumbles around you is fantastic.

I have two issues with this game:

1. It's very similar in gameplay to Pandemic. If you have Pandemic, you probably shouldn't buy this game - they're both trying to do the same thing and in my opinion Pandemic does it better.

2. Like many coop games, this game has a crucial flaw: if one player is more experienced or more bossy it is very easy for them to entirely take control of the game, planning out everyone else's turns for them.

Despite these faults, it's still a good game and worth adding to your collection if you're into cooperative board games.
on 9 December 2014
The best Gateway Co Op game I have played.

While other games have a more interesting theme (Pandemic) they also come with extra rules, something I am not keen on in gateway games, other games do many things better but this does a few things very well indeed.

Teaches what Co operative games are about,
Simplicity - if you are new to modern games the simplicity makes it easier to enjoy the game.
Quick turn around - the game is short (30 mins) again ideal for a gateway game.

A gateway game is one that is good at bringing people into the hobby of modern games, a Co Op (or co operative game) is one where the players work together against the game itself.

In short if you have children or just a desire to get friends or family around the table this is a great way to begin, you will not regret it.