Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 11 September 2010
Brialliant sound quality, and very comfortable. Unfortunately, the wire is very fragile. I normally have my mp3 player in my pocket, while cycling, and the wire near the jack is usually bent, and within a few weeks, i could see that it had visibly shred itself. Now depending on which connection is made, I either hear music in my left or my right ear..
on 7 September 2010
Bought these as a replacement for the Koss clips everyone raves about. The Koss were a mixed bag and I didn't really get on with them because the clips kept falling off and there was a distinct buzz, so they drove me crazy. If you are thinking about the Koss, I wasn't unlucky, the clips falling off is a result of the design. I think it's meant to stop you putting them on too tight, but it is really annoying.
No such problems here. These are a much higher quality item, at least in terms of build quality and design. The clips rotate in the silver section and snap open into one of two fixed positions to allow you to easily clip them around your ears. You then push them tight. Pretty comfortable, at least for the first hour or so. Probably more so than the Koss.
Sound is not probably not as clear as the Koss, but in my case the lack of buzzing made up for this. I say this as I listen to Muse quite a lot, and I like it loud, clear and fast, and they delivered that, although there was notable and unpleasant distortion (the ear bleeding effect) from about 65% of the volume. The Koss would be about 85-90%, but they might simply be louder though, as I can't hear anyone calling me with these on at all. They certainly overwhelm most low level noise from the outside. Not quite the same level of separation as the Koss set though.
From my point of view they are bass heavy, but that might be a point of preference, depending on the kind of music you like . If you have a graphic equaliser, they do respond quite well though. This sounds a bit negative, but it isn't meant to. They sound good enough, as long as you are not some mad audiophile, and there's no background noise at all. You will just have to get used to listening to stuff at a slightly lower volume. But you won't notice.
on 1 November 2010
For some reason, I can't get on with earbuds. They won't stay in my ears, especially when I am out jogging, or using the gym. That's why I prefer the EarClip headphones, and these are comfortable to wear as well as being reasonably priced and decent quality.

I have, however, had some problems with this item. I first ordered a set in August this year (2010) and they lasted until the end of September before starting to fail. There was obviously a problem with the mini-jack, as the sound would cut out when this was moved. The connection looked secure, but there must have been an internal loose wire.

To give Amazon full credit, the Headphones were replaced immediately and without any fuss - Amazon paying the return postage and sending me the replacements without waiting to receive the old ones back. Amazon do occasionally get bad press in relation to customer relations, but my experience has been very positive.

The replacement set were received about a month ago, and so far have worked perfectly. I hope that the first set were from a rogue batch and the new ones will continue to function for a long time - but I am concerned about their robustness. If the second set start to give me any problems, I may need to come back and update this review.

UPDATE: 24 November - the second paid failed in exactly the same way and Amazon have taken them back and given me a refund. It's a shame, because these are decent headphones in terms of comfort and audio quality. Unfortunately the connection to the mini-jack appears suspect and for that reason I feel bound to revise my review to warn others. It is possible (although unlikely) that I was sent two rogue sets and that others are fine. My rating is based upon my experience of the two I have tried.
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2016
I bought these for my son, if you check out my reviews, I always seem to be buying headphones! We are a family of 4 with different needs, where listening to tunes is concerned.
My youngest, for example, likes big, over the ear ones that are comfy, abut he still likes a good sound.
I like ones that stay in when I run and my hubby likes the buds.
So my eldest son isn't keen on anything that goes right in to his ear. I get that. Nor does he want the great big ones favoured by his little grub, who quite frankly couldn't care less what he looks like!!

So here we have it. Comfy, yet small enough to be unobtrusive. They are, I agree, a dream to wear. I could probably even use them for my running, as the hook/clip keeps them in place.
So they stay in place, they don't hurt the ears , they look good......what else??

Oh yes, the sound!!! Well just to top it off, the sound is of excellent quality too. You expect a certain quality from a respected brand such as this, and they do indeed deliver. Don't forget this is a set of headphones at a pretty low price- don't be expecting Bose quality, or anything similar.
That said, for us ordinary mortals, the sound is of excellent quality, not at all tinny and adequately blocks out other noises to a certain degree. You aren't sharing your music choices with the whole carriage, either!!

What great value for money. For our requirements, we discovered perfection.
on 10 May 2012
I wanted new earphones that would stay on while I run. These do the job just fine. I'm happy with the sound, and they're very comfortable - wrapped around my ear. I like the cushion feel of the pad too. I haven't had them long, but they seem like a quality purchase.
on 20 March 2012
The first consideration when designing any item is whether it's fit for the purpose. And if the item is meant to be worn for extended periods of time, top of the list surely is the ergonomics of ease of wear and comfort.
I don't know whether any of the designers responsible for these headphones were spectacle wearers. I suspect not.
For those wearing specs, the clip which must tucks behind the ear lobe has to fight for space with the arms of spectacles which have to occupy the same limited space behind the ear, so it's it's a toss up as to whether the specs or the phones is the victor.
And if you do manage to somehow hang the damned thing unto your lugs, they are unbelievably uncomfortable, almost to the point of actually being painful!
As for the performance, even when wearing them without specs, it proves quite disappointing because the design does not permit tight contact with the earlobe, thus all the deep base notes are missing. Only by pressing the pods against the ear with your palms can one hear the full frequency range.
In a word, badly thought out, awful design. Returned to Amazon same day.
on 12 September 2011
Sound quality fine, but these are not comfortable for all day wear - or even several hours. The arms are too fat and press on my ears. I have some very cheap Panasonic clip ons Panasonic RP-HS46E-K Slim Clip on Earphone - Black which I can wear forever with no problem. For spoken word listening, I'd choose the Panasonics every time and they're a third of the price. The sound quality isn't as good as the Philips for music, so it depends what your priority is.
on 6 November 2016
Bought to replace a previous pair that lasted 8 years continuous use. These are smaller (I dont have large ears), rather uncomfortable, not as well made and the lead is much thinner. if you want a pair for occasional use they would do but not for frequent use. Will update after 2 months use.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 August 2016
They work but...... Only suitable if you have tiny ears. Cannot get them to sit right. These are a Japanese model. Not suitable for European market. I have tried all of the adjustments to no avail. Avoid.
on 24 December 2012
I bought these Philips SHS4700/10 Mid range EarClip Headphones to replace a pair of Panasonic RP-HS46E-K Slim Clip on Earphones as the Panasonic where not listed as in stock.
Maybe it's just me but they don't fit at all though the Panasonic fitted perfectly. They will not stay in place and are very bulky, thus hang off my ears at an angle unless pressed against my ears.
If you have used the Panasonic and been pleased with them be very wary of buying these!