Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 4 February 2011
This DVD tells a story that is appalling to people concerned with truth in general and with their and others' health. Are the facts in the story true? I believe they are because there are a number of confirming books, videos, and magazine articles that tell similar stories. So, if the story is true, then the situation regarding many foods sold to the public in the United States is appalling. I suspect the situation is the same to at least some degree in other countries so the story concerns all of us. I mean who really has faith in the mass-produced foods imported from China or Brazil? Have you ever seen the videos of Pangasius fish farms in Vietnam or salmon farms in Norway and the ones the Norwegians have opened in Canada? What is truly scary is the extent to which we suspect the corruption of some of our representatives in Washington and some key officers in the federal agencies meant to protect the public. With the disastrous Supreme Court decision in the Citizens' Union case which opens the floodgates of corporate and self-interested money that can be spent toward political ends, whose influence was confirmed absolutely in the recent Congressional elections, we, the public, are left exposed and unprotected unless we take action ourselves.
How can we take action? Stop buying processed foods, farmed fish, non-organically raised meat. Buy organic from trusted sources. It will cost more money but then you know that you need to reduce the volume of food that you eat so do it now and save some or all of that additional cost.
No amount of public outrage will persuade a representative to vote against the interests of a corporation that finances his election campaign because our system is such that he has no option to get elected or re-elected. No amount of public outrage will change our overly technical and procedure-heavy legal system that allows a hugely wealthy Monsanto to financially exhaust a farmer whose non-GM fields become polluted by wind-borne patented GM seeds and spores. The only way to cause change is to stop buying these terrible products and by-products and make market forces do the work that we can no longer trust others to do for us. We'll become slimmer and healthier at the same time.
on 19 May 2013
In a nutshell, "Food, Inc." tells the viewer of how the big corporations in America puts extreme pressure on hard-working farmers and food manufacturers by using genetically modified products, such as corn, chickens and cows. We meet people who all in their own ways and for their own reasons feel that they need to take their responsibility as citizens and try to make our world as good and humane as possible.

Among the things we learn are that genetically modified seeds are actually patented, because the process used for modifying them is, which creates various problems to nearby farmers that grow corn in the traditional, ecological way, when the wind naturally brings the modified seeds to their crops. We see chickens being shoved forward on a conveyor belt in order to get stamped (for ensured quality and health, I suppose) on the head, with seemingly no respect or care from the workers. We change the natural diet of animals in order to make them as big and fat as possible, to the point where they are unable to walk, or even stand up.

This is not a film for the faint-hearted or those who are easily grossed out.

All the individuals in the film are very charismatic and memorable people, and the stories they tell are often heart-breaking. One that particularly stands out is about a boy who dies from E. coli poisoning at only four years of age. His mother decides to start an organisation in his memory, with the goal of preventing factories from keep manufacturing contaminated meat, only to realise just how much power the corporations in question have.

The products we buy in stores often don't contain information about their origins or if they contain artificial ingredients, which is nothing but insulting to customers, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

All this makes for a sickening and fascinating experience that raises both big and very important questions, but for all the praise this documentary rightfully gets, it's not perfect.

The film takes itself very seriously and is almost completely humourless, unless for some flashy animations, if they count as a sign of humour, and a lot of irony, but with a subject matter this serious, it rarely comes across as funny (which may not be the point, but I'll get to that later). This makes the film a bit of a bore, especially if the viewer plans to see it more than once. There are no outsiders present in the film; all the narration come from the participating experts and victims, often accompanied by sad piano/guitar music. The facts are sometimes shown in text and animation, when they easily could have been told to us by a stand alone narrator. We are told that none of the companies in question agreed to be interviewed, but we don't get a look at the process of when the creators contacted them and what their response was.

The film's biggest flaw becomes more evident in the bonus material. Director Robert Kenner tells us that he wanted to create a documentary that would entertain the viewer and didn't shove the facts into people's faces. In that aspect, it doesn't completely fulfill it's promise, because "Food, Inc." is many things, but it's not entertaining. It presents cold facts, no more and no less.

But despite its seriousness and mostly minor flaws, "Food, Inc." is a very important movie to watch. The message is strong, and the images it shows are unforgettable. It may not be entertaining enough to watch several times, but the facts it presents are without a doubt disturbing enough to make most viewers question their usual diets and purchases, and hopefully they make people take a closer look at what their favourite food actually contains the next time they go to the store (if the information is there, of course.)
on 31 March 2014
The first word that came out of my mouth after watching this documentary was "whoa", and this film has resonated with me ever since. There is a certain ignorance concerning where our food comes from: we go to a market, buy everything in neat packages and never question the provenance, but we all need to think more about what goes in our mouths. Everything from the extraordinary cruelty in the treatment of pigs on the "kill floor", to the open holes in cows (I had heard about this and thought it was some horror story, but it is unfortunately true...) to the GMs and the dominance of a few companies in the world who control almost everything your put in your mouth -- and it is nothing you really want to ingest in the first place. The dominance of corn in all our products is appalling, and we should never question WHY there is obesity and poor nutrition in the world today. It is also shocking to know that there are actually more incidents of salmonella poisonings etc in the past few years vs any other time in recent history due to the industrial combination of different meats.

I highly recommend this film -- Because of it, I changed my eating habits, buy vegetables from farmer's markets and in season, also plant my own tomatoes and some vegetables using heirloom seeds (and yes, you can even grow tomatoes in boxes on an apartment balcony), and dropped my consumption of meat by 80% (and only buy meat from a farmer).
on 21 February 2016
Please stop being ignorant towards foods you eat, it is an important part of our existence! We don't only eat for a pleasure, we need to eat not only for nourishing our bodies with vitamins and minerals so it can work properly but also with food we are giving it energy. Eating foods with very low energy (unhappy animals, vegetables grown without real sun and sprayed with chemicals) how can we thrive? Very good DVD.
on 16 December 2016
My son was shown this film in India on his year out and kept talking about it. I finally felt it was so influential amongst his generation I'd better take a look. I was staggered. It's totally changed the way I view my world and has altered my approach to the food industry. It was very well researched and had access to an astonish number of high profile people who spoke openly. It also had pace so was easy to watch. Have recommended it to all my friends.
on 3 May 2017
Shows the travesty of food production for a burgeoning population that frames and consumes the entire life work cycle of farm animals while generating huge profits for conglomerates in cattle farming etc.
on 3 May 2016
Everyone should see this film. I used to dismiss organic people as hippies; now I understand.
on 1 September 2017
One star only, because I was unable watch it at all. So disappointing. For all European area guys, note it's for USA area...
on 29 November 2012
I only give this a 4 star, as my advice would be only watch this if you don't mind being put off your food, as there are some pretty graphic scenes of slaughter taking place which might upset or offend some viewers.
on 19 September 2010
And you thought food was nutritious and kept you well. This is the shocking academy award nominated documentary of animal mistreatment and people being treated every bit as badly as the animals in the interest of bottom line profit in the highly industrialised Agri-businesses of the USA. The antibiotics in your food supply in the name of adding 25% more weight to the slaughter animals, while producing resistance to antibiotics in the very pathogens that threaten your life. The Monsanto GM plants that not only threaten to impoverish the third world farmers - but are already doing so in the USA in the name of intellectual propert rights. The political protection of the few food conglomerates, right to the US supreme court already disgust one - but then you need to hear about the contamination inherent in the industrial food processes, the risks to your health whenever you eat a fast food hamburger (tens of animals contribute to that patty from a range of 1500 miles to central industrial abattoirs and factories) or slice of cold meat. Cry with the pigs. The DVD is a top example of investigative journalism that has brought even Monsanto's CEO to admitting that he should have agreed to being interviewed. The words of Ghandi are quoted by director Robert Kenner: First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Perhaps you should buy and watch this dvd: get back some control of what goes into your mouth, get back your health, maybe you can still at least break even.

The DVD as received is region 2 (PAL), right for Europe, Africa and Japan, and of excellent quality in an innovative cardboard sleeved package.