Roman Mysteries is a fabulous DVD set. It contains all of the episodes from series one and two.
It is based on the books by Caroline Lawrence.
Each story is divided into scrolls through two half hour episodes.
The stories include The secrets of Vesuvius, The pirates of Pompeii, the Assassins of Rome, The Dolphins of Laurentum, and The Enemies of Jupiter, all from series one. And then The Gladiators of Capua, The twelve trials of Flavia Gemina, The Colossus of Rhodes, The fugitive from Corinth and the Slave girl from Jerusalem, all from series two.
This was a children's TV series but it is suitable for anyone. The stories are excellent and the whole series has a big budget feel about it.
The sets and special effects are brilliant and everything looks so convincing.
The acting and production are first class and the series gives a strong feel of the day to day life in Ancient Rome. The series is also informative about historic events and facts and the whole series is very enjoyable.
on 6 November 2011
What a fantastic dvd set. My 8 yr old son Alexander, had been watching it at school and came home asking if we could get the set. I liked his enthusiasm so bought it and I loved watching it too! My 6 yr old son also liked it. It was so good we kept playing it till we had watched the whole series without any other TV!! It would be an ideal Xmas present.
on 31 May 2010
This is a great show, in the UK we could watch this through the BBC, It really interests my 8 year old, we have been able to use the books to compliment the DVD and we have been able to Ostia and walked amongst the ruins ourselves and it was great to use the visuals from the dvd to supplement that and "complete the picture". The children are excellent in the tv series and its great to have all the episodes on one complete set. Invaluable to any family with an interest in a good historical story.
on 3 January 2011
I'd watched the roman mysteries series on CBBC and decided i wanted the dvd. This dvd is well made and is a bundle of fun for youngsters and young adults alike. Offers good humour and gives a real insight into what the roman times were actually like. An absolute bargain at £3.39 (bought on 24th December 2010). Hope this helps.
on 1 December 2011
I thouroughly enjoyed this series. Although the main characters were children the factual content was very good and true events in Roman Histery..
on 15 December 2010
This product is seemingly good for children with a sense of adventure. It also recounts some true stories and information, and is absolutely fab!
on 26 April 2013
Softens the harshest aspects of the books, fine for children.

We plan on showing this to our kids as well.
on 4 August 2010
I've only watched the first episode so far but thought it was good. Some of the acting isn't the greatest, but a lot of effort has gone into recreating the ancient world, and (as far as I have watched) it is fairly gentle and suitable for youngish children. (I can't say how it compares with the books, not having read them yet.)
on 10 June 2012
good set of dvds, made by the bbc. My daughter was doing the romans at school and found this an invaluable tool learning whilst she watched and enjoyed the stories.Took in more than she thought .
on 16 February 2012
The first box says "Staring Simon Callow" but he dies 10 minutes into the first episode. Don't let that deter you though it is great.

My 7 year old daughter has read all the books and says that they are better but even so she still loves the DVD - The costumes and attention to detail on the food and so in is very accurate.