Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

You never really know what you are going to get downloading a book, and so I wasn't too sure I would like this. The blurb read okay, but I knew that there was romance and that this comes under Christian fiction, although thankfully it wasn't cloying. Although I loved this, I should point out that it does get a bit sentimental in places (although as I read lots of 19th Century fiction that doesn't personally bother me).

Ultimately 15 women are tepmpted from St Louis to travel to Nebraska by the Ladies Emmigration Society. The women have been told that they can have their own homesteads, but what the man running the society hasn't informed them is that secretly what he is running is some kind of marriage bureau, called by the Nebraskan's the Desperation Society. When another woman joins them at the station they become sixteen in total. When some of the women find out what is planned, they inform the others, and so the group seperate. It is 1871, some of the women are widowers, whilst others are still looking for a man anyway. The group that leave the society settle in Plum Grove, Dawson County, Nebraska, and this novel follows them through their troubles and glories.

Ultimately these women are in the main running away from things in their lives, and are looking for a new beginning. As they make friends in the Plum Grove area, they also start about building a home for the homestead. With not only these women running away, but others in the area still having to come to grips with their past there is a lot of soul searching going on. With some danger and adventure in this book this is okay for men as well as women, and the characters and situations really seem to come to life. With people looking for romance, some for reconcilation, and others just for a new life, will this group of women find what they are looking for?

Within the first few pages you find yourself deeply absorbed into this tale. As well as being a good story it also makes you think what women like those mentioned in this book had to go through to build themselves a home, indeed anyone who moved to such areas, where there were chances of Indian attacks, extreme weather conditions, and a not very hospitable land.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 August 2011
This was a lovely romantic novel with some historical settings and facts thrown in for free. War widows and indeed single females were often shipped out to areas in the US, which were still not highly populated, and married off to men. This is the fictional story of a few of those females. It is a lovely read and readers of romance, Mills/Boone and Harlequin will like it.Sixteen Brides
on 29 October 2011
I only read this because it was free on Kindle and I wanted a holiday read. I was pleasantly surprised. Its about a group of women who travel out to the wild west because they are told there is land being given away. Really they are there to be wives to the men out there. A group of them don't go to the final town but settle in a town one stop up the railway line. They make their home there and put in their claim for land. The story is about their ups and down. An enjoyable read. It could quite easily have a sequel.
on 17 August 2011
I really enjoyed this novel. The story was very captivating and I really wanted to keep reading and find out what happened to the characters. All the ladies in the story were great characters with a lot of depth; I would love to read a sequel to sixteen brides. If you enjoy historical romances then I would recommend this book. It was also very refreshing to read a free kindle book with no spelling or grammar mistakes. Will definitely download more books by this author.
on 28 October 2012
I got this as a free download, so wasn't sure what to expect but it was a really fab read! In fact I read it really quickly, I couldn't wait to find out what happened to the heroines in the story. The women all have different stories and reasons for moving out west and when they get there they work hard, have adventures, find romance, and happiness.......I was disappointed when it ended!
on 26 August 2012
Sweet little book. Historical romance, but with some gritty details about setting up a smallholding as an American pioneer. I didn't really notice the religion, it certainly didn't detract from the story. Reminded me a bit of "Ship of Brides" by JoJo Moyes - women setting off for new lives, waiting to see what they can make of it when they get there. I enjoyed the interactions between the women, makes a changes from the usual cat-fighting, and created the feel of a close-knit little community. A soothing read.
on 27 March 2013
A compelling read that I found hard to put down. I found myself entering their world and being able to shard in their enthusiasm
on 3 April 2015
I loved this book about friendship, looking out for each other in difficult circumstances, making difficult decisions and being neighbours. Those who followed God in faith never preached, but pointed the way, prayed and allowed the seekers to find their own relationship with God.
A real page turner with lots of dramatic exploits, secrets revealed, hearts and lives healed, and hope.
on 15 September 2011
Not an author I've read previously (or even heard of!)but I downloaded it free to my Kindle and really enjoyed it. It's a light easy read for someone like me who just likes to relax/escape with a book. A gentle tale of love but with independent women.
on 4 February 2012
this was a really good read, i enjoyed it, has a bit of everything, not to mushy (which i hate), not to short and not drawn out. pictured a really interesting way of life for these women, good for them!! bonus i got it free