on 23 April 2017
Wow! I read the first book so quickly I just had to have e this one too and i wasn't disappointed. Jordan is a very talented writer 😊
on 2 November 2017
The story, the characters, amazing, I'm hooked.
on 2 June 2017
Brilliant series, am so surprised I hadn't heard of this series before now,it is excellent
on 10 October 2015
Fantastic series
on 18 October 2017
Amazing follow up to the first, improved depth and character development.
on 7 January 2013
The wheel of time is one of my favourite fantasy series.The Great Hunt has good pacing and plenty of details I always discover more of each time I read it.
on 14 April 2017
Love his books
on 12 July 2009
Well, that's book 2 down. This one was similar to the first in terms of the writing style, but my criticisms are slightly different.

The plotline is much more straightforward in this novel, there being one main story that runs through the novel - again it is a journey, but that seems, from my limited experience, to be a running theme in the fantasy genre. There's several other branches to the plot, but they are smaller than in the first novel, and one of them only joins back for a moment at the end.

Speaking of the ending, this volume has a very abrupt conclusion, it seems very hurried, and there isn't much of an 'epilogue' after the final climax. To an extent I suppose that is designed to encourage moving on to the third book, but at the time of publication that wouldn't have been available and it would have been nice to wrap things up a little more roundedly.

There are still some mysteries hanging over, although I'm still not sure how he is going to drag the rest of the story over the remaining books, or exactly what the characters' plan is.
on 6 December 2002
After the breath taking suspense of the first, I was expecting something a little more explosive. It was still a brilliant fantasy, told in the Grandmaster style, that Jordan encompasses, it was more the slow build up followed by the remoresless race to the finish, I am constantly amazed how Jordan manages to fit in these tight fifty page endings. Maybe he should spread it out a little more?
However it was still excellent. The introduction of the Seanchan made the usual collection of Ghoulies a litle more human and easier to palate. The time spent in Tar Valon was intriguing and I desperately wanted these scant chapters to last longer!! The capture of the heroine Egwene was only just bearable by the fact that I was sure there was going to be a climatic finale. Egwene continued to moan and scream, on and on and on...
Rand is doing a 'Garion' (for all you Eddings fans!) by moaning constantly, however, he is a better realised hero than the One of David eddings imagination. Mat and Perrin were to stuck up in parts but other than that it worked wonderfully. the description flowed brilliantly in every superbly crafted sntence and the other characters were just as brilliantly described as Rand. Loial was innocent and wise enough to pass for Merry and Gandalf and Moiranes cool control was masterful, Lan is halfway between being my favourite character and my most hated. His protection of Moirane, though totally in character is just a teensy bit annoying, his cold calculating fighting and firm pride balances this out.
One word to sum this up. As Ron Manager would put it: Marvellous!
on 22 August 2004
This book is a good book. I came to this after really enjoying the first book, 'Eye of the World.' I liked this one just as much and it continues the story in great style.
Jordan continues to develop the characters in this book and gives greater detail of their personalities. The story is lso revealed more as we begin to see more of what we must expect from the later part of the series.
Jordan manages to bring in a new enemy that is not really known in the first book and so manages to keep the plot fresh andinteresting. More is revealed about the prophisies that are hinted at in the first book and we also gain more knowledge on the mysterious and powerful Aes Sedai.
On that note i am also pleased to say we get our first look inside Tar Valon in this book. We get to get inside the minds of some of the Aes Sedai and learn more about what they have planned for the characters of the first book.
More characters are also revealed that forward the plot. These characters such as the Amyrlin Seat and the borderlands people.
The good thing about this series is that you cannot predict or even guess randomly at the ending or how the series will reach the last battle. I have read this in other reviews and i think it is a very good thing. You know Rand will win the last battle but no clue is given as to how it will happen or how he will get there.
This book is highly reccomened, but if you have already read the first book you will read this one anyway. If you haven't read 'Eye of the World' yet dont read this as you will not have a clue what is going on!!