on 15 December 2010
The Heretic is easily one of the best books I've read all year. If you read and enjoyed The Adept Series by Katherine Kurtz and miss that series now that it has ended, this one is for you.

There are several POVs, but the characterization is outstanding enough that I ended up caring about several characters--a rare feat by an author indeed. The paranormal elements and world building are consistent and well-done. The pacing is fantastic.

This book managed to be action-packed and deal with military and Templar issues without being the least bit dry or preachy. It's got tough guy AND heart. The best news for me was to find that the entire trilogy is already available. I've already downloaded the second book.

If you liked Da Vinci code, this one is notches and notches above--everything Da Vinci could have been and wasn't. If you didn't like Da Vinci code and never got the excitement over the themes, give this a shot. It did everything right.
on 21 August 2016
This frustrated me more than it should.

It's fairly pedestrian and unoriginal in it's plot and characters, but the writing and editing is competent enough. This is the sort of book my dad takes on vacation, a pool-side / beach book for blokes, and as such it's a fair example of the genre.

But what really irritated me is the ending - it's as if the author suddenly realised he had reached his contracted word-count (before he got to the end), so wrapped it up as quickly as he could. You're all gearing up for this big final battle, and suddenly it's : "oh, the bad guys screwed up and ran, so I chased 'em and got 'em. The end." Huh??

It left me with a bad taste in my mouth, I'm afraid.
on 7 September 2012
The book is quiet good. I was a bit worried in the beginning, as I have tried to read a few similar books, and they all go into weird tangents. Like the hero/heroines love story, some boring back story etc.

But here the author keeps the story tight. The book starts with an attack on a Church compound, that may have been caused by supernatural beings. A man known as the Heretic is called in to investigate, as he has knowledge of the occult, though the other Church members view him with disgust.

The story is non stop then, as the Heretic fears someone in the Church is working with the demonic forces, and he has to stop them before they destroy the Church. The action is good and fast.

The book ends well, and can be read independently, though it is a part of a trilogy.

Recommended if you like urban fantasies, that do not involve mushy romance or glittering vampires. ;)
on 3 November 2014
Not finished this book yet, but within minutes of reading it, it's grabbed me with the storyline. One of these books where you are desperate to find out what is going on. You get fed bits fo background into the characters as you go along which I like so that mentally you can build up a mental profile.
on 7 October 2014
Really enjoyed this book, it is well written, has lots of action, good background stories, interesting and different characters.
The heretic is about the modern Templar knights , the heretic, Cade, a commander of the team who is sent into situations which others knights cannot go.
Well worth a read !
on 12 February 2016
To be honest, I thought this was pretty awful. The author doesn't have an embarrassment meter: the writing is overblown, the characters cliched and thin as Disney. There is not nearly enough story, the whole thing ending (or, rather, just coming to a halt) when it has barely begun. And I really, really, really don't like books whose sole purpose is to get me to buy the next one in the series. Won't be buying any more
on 3 December 2014
I was searching for a new author in the genre and found Joseph's books, looking through the write ups I was immediately drawn to the Templars series. It appeared to be a great mix of history and paranormal fantasy and I wasn't disappointed.
Joseph spin on the Templars traditions and beliefs form a unique basis for a paranormal fantasy, you are invested from the start due to the way the characters are depicted.
Definitely worth downloading and reading for any fans of the genre...can't wait to get the next in the series!
on 10 February 2015
Thought I'd give this a go as it was free and am I glad I did. There aren't to many books out there that make me not want to put them down but this one did just that. The story is written well, moves at a good pace and the characters are interesting and believable. I'm looking forward to reading more from this author and this time I won't mind paying. I highly recommended this book to anyone and everyone, just start it and you will see what I mean.
on 6 February 2016
Wow that's all I can say..

Although the story is dark and unforgiving it has hope woven through like a ribbon to be followed. I am really looking forward to reading the next instalment. If you like fantasy and are tired of the fluff then I suggest you read without delay..
on 8 January 2015
I don't usually go for fantasy novels but this is a fast paced and entertaining book with something happening on every page. The main character Cade is likeable as are the rest of his team and the fight against evil did, although written about many times. still kept me wanting to read on. All in all I quite liked this book