on 31 August 2016
This is a good book, however, I do feel it needs a second edition. It has obviously been updated circa 2012, but I suspect that this has been done by adding in a paragraphs and sections rather than some more detailed re-writing. For instance, near the beginning it states that nobody knows if neutrinos have mass. Toward the end of the book it states that we have discovered that they do. Frank Close is a good writer and I hope that OUP pay him to write a fully revised text. I think many A level students would find this book useful; the sections on detectors, especially so and I am going to advise them to read this.
on 24 October 2017
An excellent book. As a one-time chemist my scientific background is in atoms and molecules and I'd paid no heed to the smaller components of matter.

Prof Close provides a good overview of the subject at an accessible level. I think I understand more about this subject than before. Which was exactly what I wanted.
One person found this helpful
on 9 April 2010
Of this series, this is one of the more lucidly written examples. Prof. Close has a method of drawing you into a fairly informal discussion, but with direct examples to illustrate his points, and obvious authority. His tone is kindly, and reminded me of the way Carl Sagan or Richard Feynman communicated ideas; Methodically, yet elegantly.

The areas key for a basic understanding of the subject are present, and he elaborates on some of the terminology used without losing the reader.

There is only a slight misgiving, in that he strays off course into the realm of speculative string theory and higher dimensions in a rushed manner near the end of the book. This does relate to some of the earlier chapters in a small way (supersymmetry), but limited to two pages, is all too vague so the uninitiated may get confused.

Other than that, it has enlightened me greatly, and along with the VSI to Relativity, gives a nice foundation which can be used to consult more ambitious material.
6 people found this helpful
on 5 December 2017
Recommended by the school a Government no longer pays for books for 6th formers. Delivered promptly

Will be able to judge the success in 2 years time
on 6 June 2017
good book and explains well a lot of the particle physics currently in the new scottish higher physics exam.
on 26 July 2016
Nice compact book with concise sections so easy to get through when you have a spare few minutes.
on 2 March 2014
For someone who is interested in physics - and understanding some of the bizarre concepts behind it it is the ideal book to start.It has graphs/charts inside to show you how things are so screwy in the quantum world
on 24 August 2014
Nice read, even for people who have no underlying science knowledge, well written, easy to read due to well laid out chapters, good introduction to pp
on 2 July 2015
I found this book very useful, although a glossary would have helped enormously. Gives good coverage of the whole topic but was written before the LHC came on line and therefore is now a little dated. However, I found I could easily understand articles about the LHC and the Higgs Boson having read this.
on 14 March 2014
I love this entire series of books. They help you understand difficult concepts in a helpful way. I'd recommend everyone doing an undergraduate course in physics read the entire very short introductions series. Runs well along side an introduction to particle physics course with another book for the mathematics.