Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 May 2010
The problem for a multi-talented artist is that it is difficult for the public to remember you for any one thing. Director/Singer/Composer/Actor Anthony Newley suffers from this simply because there were so many facets to him.This CD is therefore a timely reminder of what a great and unique singer/songwriter he was. It contains previously unreleased recordings of his interpretations of songs which the public will either be largely unfamiliar with or will know from cast recordings or other artists' versions."Heironymous Merkin" was composed and directed by Newley,and the songs vary between the dramatic and the frivolous.Both the film and score were vastly under-rated at the time , but how fresh it still sounds today."Willy Wonka" is a totally different matter. Everybody knows the score from this successful film ,and Newley's version gives it new life.Co-written by Newley with Leslie Bricusse whose steadying influence perfectly complemented Newley's scattergun genius.
"Quilp" was a Readers'Digest backed film starring and composed by Newley , whose score is witty and lively (as was his performance in the title role)and because the film was not a great success and no hit records came from the score listeners will largely be hearing it as though it was new. That is what makes this CD such a treasure trove....largely unfamiliar songs interpreted by their composer in his own unique style , not just another compilation of songs we have heard many times before. Another plus on this album is the fact that the liner-notes are by Paul Goodhead,president of the Anthony Newley Appreciation Society , a man whose knowledge of Newley's work is scholarly and whose tireless efforts have helped to bring about projects such as this. Newley was the greatest musical star this country has produced and this CD is a fitting reminder of that fact. Buy it and enjoy it!!
on 9 June 2010
As a longtime Newley fan I was very pleased to see this item and ordered it immediately. Haven't had a chance to really sit and listen to it but was happy with most of it...I wasn't too crazy about a few of the arrangements for the songs from Heironymous Merkin (I have the original soundtrack on LP - haven't listened to it in years but I really like it) and I've never heard any of the songs from Mr. Quilp before so I'm glad those are here.

Listening to this CD the brief amount of time I have reminds me that I have a huge stack of Newley LPs that I need to pull out and convert to digital files so I can load him onto my Mp3 player.

Very happy with this purchase, after all, any Newley is good, new Newley is GREAT!
on 22 March 2012
Its complete absence of recording information notwithstanding - the sleeve notes make no mention of when these recordings were made, or where, or who's accompanying Newley, or who is rolling the tape - 'Newley Discovered' is nothing short of a musical masterpiece, and a great testament to the artistry of a most singular and eccentric talent.
Anthony Newley was something of a mystery to me before getting this record. I was aware of his Artful Dodger, of course, and 'Pop Goes The Weasel', and I'd read enough articles on David Bowie down the years to realise Newley's vocal style influencing and fuelling The Thin White Diamond Dog, but that was about it. I bought 'Newley Discovered' purely because I wanted the 'Oompa Loompa' song from the 'Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory' film and, just like the chocolate factory itself, this album is an abundance of delights and tasty treats.
The opening ten songs, from Newley's 'Heironymus Merkin'film (a brave and baffling work where Bruce Forsyth meets Fellini), sounds like a cabaret version of the similarly self-lacerating 'John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band' album. Newley, like Lennon after him, trawls through the mess of his upbringing (both singers coincidentally lacking a father presence), tries to make sense of his catalogue of failed relationships, and rejects religion as a false comfort. It's a daring, unsparing suite - though not without humour.
The six songs from 'Willy Wonka' are, for me, the definitive readings. True, Newley released more fully-orchestrated versions on 1971's 'Pure Imagination' LP but these are far more intimate and touching in their scaled-down arrangements. There's an irrepressible joy in 'I've Got A Golden Ticket' and 'The Candy Man' (with its hilarious intro, missing from the film rendition), and 'Cheer up, Charlie' not only will break your heart but put it together again, anew and afresh.
The remaining five songs, from the 1975 film 'Mr. Quilp', lack the introspection and self-analysis of the 'Merkin' selection. But that's no bad thing. These are 'character' songs (from a musical based on Dickens' 'The Old Curiosity Shop') and are tuneful, ebullient, inventive and witty. They are strong enough to bear comparison with that celebrated musical version of another Dickens classic - I refer, of course, to Lionel Bart's 'Oliver!' That's high praise indeed.
'Newley Discovered' is both the perfect way in to begin a journey through the weird world of Anthony Newley and also a great summation of his musical and theatrical gifts.
on 13 February 2015
This man should have been so much bigger- what a talented writer and individual singer/performer, I was lucky to catch him in later years, funny, clever, heartfelt- this collection is a terrific addition to my Newley collection.
The word genius is used too often in this generation but this CD alone justifies that title for Anthony Newley. The previous review tells you the details of the CD....I'll just say this is a marvelous find, 21 new recordings to add to the Newley collection, and everyone a gem. My particular favourite is "I'm All I Need" - what a superb song and we get two versions of it to boot. I would pay three times the price to get "Pure Imagination" - a magnificent version of this song - in fact I can't stop playing these two titles over and over again. Thank you to the Newley family for giving us such a suberb treat - the best release of 2010 so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 5 July 2010
Mr Newley was a true genius. Great songs and he was also a competent vocalist. This album is in three segments. The first part features songs from a film he was involved with ' Heironymus Merkin..!!!which I must admit have never heard of. The songs are good and 'quirky' The second part features the original 'drafts' for the 'Willy Wonka' film. He does much better versions of these songs on the album ' pure imagination' (which is superb)..but these are well worth a listen. I think he should have been cast as Willy Wonka..!!
The third part features songs from the film Mr Quilp. All in all a good album, featuring a good selection of some of his work.
on 26 June 2010
This is a long awaited for CD. Anthony Newley was such a talented writer and performer, he seems only now to be coming noticed. He wrote so many of the classics.
I love this album as did not know anything about the first few tracks a biographal view on his life turned into a film.
Willy Wonka - one of my all time favourite films with Gene Wilder and at last the long awaited for "Mr Quilp" - brilliant music. loved this film from the day I saw it on tv 30 yrs ago must be now and taped a couple of the songs thank goodness as not available until now. I hope the film will also be released!?
Thank you for making this cd available to us...an absolute must buy!!!!
I just cannot stop playing this CD in the car...
on 10 October 2014
I hope that they find more lost recordings.
on 5 April 2013
I bought this for my Mum for Christmas as she was after one particular song by Anthony Newley. She was really pleased with all the other songs on it too. I made a good choice.