Customer reviews

on 15 May 2013
Apart from the usual Mermaid quality the main reason for buying this is the depth of the sides. I was fed up with the usual loaf tins which gave me a mushroom shaped loaf, once the bread rose to the top of the shallow sides it expanded outwards instead of upwards. This tin has deep enough sides to support the loaf rising a lot more and gives me a much more satisfying "tall" loaf. a great buy
on 31 August 2012
This is easily the best loaf tin that I have had. It sounds a bit odd but it does a good job; the heat distribution is really good and the anodised surface is tough. You will have to grease the tin before use but I always do that with any tin.
on 20 November 2013
I decided to buy an expensive tin as opposed to the inexpensive supermarket tins. Contrary to other purchasers, the manufacturers recommend that the tin is seasoned. I followed their instructions to the letter. Whatever I baked STUCK !! So, I tried greasing the tin...same result. I then emailed Mermaid and asked for their advice on 2 occasions. Guess what ? That's right...no response. Irrespective of maybe I've done something wrong, a company boasting pride in its products and service should, at the very least, have contacted me.
on 28 May 2014
A few years back Mermaid had become associated with cheap and cheerful items - this is not one of them.
A reasonably heavy gauge and what seems to be generous anodised thickness, one bake at full heat with a lick of groundnut oil and the several loaves baked in it so far have fallen out. No doubt it will need a very light re-oiling every few loaves.
The emphasis is on how very little oil you need though - moisten a kitchen towel with oil and apply only enough to JUST change the surface appearance of the pan surface, apply way less than needed for any oil to run down the pan sides.

A reasonable price for a good, sound product, although the price has risen substantially since I made a purchase.
on 1 May 2012
This is a proper sized, well shaped loaf tin that allows you to make a family sized loaf. We will be buying another as we make all our own bread and it's more economical to make a few at a time. Unlike hard anodised baking trays etc, it doesn't need seasoning, which is a bonus. We have started buying hard anodised products for all our bakeware. It's hard wearing, conducts heat well and has a solid feel. The only downside is that the products shouldn't be put in a dishwasher, but that's a minor issue.
i found this to be no good for baking breads. it is not stick free which is fine, but even oiling it and/or flouring it, i kept getting my bread stuck in it. do not get this for bread baking.....probably fine for all other uses as it feels nice and solid.
on 9 December 2013
...it isn't non-stick. Always lightly grease this tin and you'll be more than happy with it. I am. Well made and will lat a long time judging by the looks of it.
on 13 July 2014
This is the best loaf tin I have ever purchased. Lovely shape, makes a nice loaf! I only butter it before putting my dough in and only wipe clean afterwards. Nothing sticks and I didn't preseason it. I only use them for baking bread. I bought one and loved it so much that I immediately bought another! Highly recommended!
on 1 July 2016
I spent fortune for loaf tins last 10 years and I finally found the one I was looking for. it is ideal size for a proper ploughman's sandwich, you need to season with butter or olive oil before you use it first time. if you don't wash it (which you don't need it anyway) you don't have to seasoned again
on 30 December 2014
Very sturdy baking tin. Works equally as well as non-stick if you wipe the inside with a little bit of oil on some kitchem paper, and then sprinkle flour around the inside and shake out any excess. Makes an excellent loaf as more resistant to high oven temperatures than non stick coated tins.