on 14 April 2017
Beautiful artwork, story is great and the start to building a collection. Looks great on the bookshelf. Great price for a hardback book.
on 9 May 2017
Perfect, it was exactly as the seller described. The delivery was ok too so no worries here. Great book too.
on 21 June 2017
As described.....unread and as new. excellent service.
on 1 April 2017
Now we are done, at last!
on 12 April 2017
Fabulous!
on 1 August 2015
good reading.
on 9 April 2017
No big high falooting words, just read these books you'll love them. The best read I've done in year's , so go on read it
on 14 February 2016
I so wanted to love this series. I really did. My first encounter was with ‘Wizard and Glass’ at twelve years old and was accidental, I did not realise until I started reading that this was a series, I read on anyhow and loved it. It was some years later I got round to purchasing the other books. ‘The Gunslinger’ was admittedly a bit of a difficult read, however, I enjoyed the next few books. I would say things started to go ‘wrong’ after ‘Wolves of the Calla’ (for me anyway).

What had captivated me about this series was Roland’s familiar yet strange world and his encounters. His interactions with ‘folken’ from alien cultures, thorough which we got to know Roland and find out about his quest for the illusive tower. The mythology which all seemed like it was leading the reader somewhere, the allure that the intuitive and keen eyed reader may be able to figure out where Roland would be heading, or how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. It was going well. The story was pretty consistent up to a point, however, the last two books changed the tone of the series altogether for me.

The story became less interesting and lacked in substance and refinement. It felt to me like King had grown to despise Roland and his quest in the end, that he wanted to finish the tale for the sake of finishing. His final three books came in quick succession when compared with earlier volumes in the series, and it shows. There were so many elements introduced which, in the end, added nothing to the story. Susannah’s pregnancy and Mia, Mordred the random ‘spider demon son’, the introduction of himself into the story. None of it quite flowed. Instead of dedicating a significant proportion of the story to this arc, I would have liked to see more revelations from Roland’s past, more specifically what exactly happened with his childhood friends, and how his experiences drove his relentless quest for The Tower. There were so many arcs left unanswered. What became of Black 13 and what was its significance to the tower, up until the moment it was ‘forgotten’, it appeared to be pretty important? What happened to Ted Brautigan et al?

I disliked the introduction of characters from King’s other works into the book. It all became a bit too…. unfantasylike? As a fan of this genre, what I enjoy is an author’s ability to immerse me into ‘their’ world, to make it somehow believable, tangible. By introducing himself and unrelated characters from his other books, it kind of ruined the fictional world for me. I understand that this was King attempting to demonstrate how he felt that this work had ‘infiltrated’ his other books, but as a reader, I am more interested in the story itself than the author’s motivations/struggles.

The ending seemed cobbled together. Lots of people took issue with Susannah leaving before reaching the tower. This didn’t bother me so much itself, it always was Roland’s quest. I just didn’t like how the Jake and Eddie in New York thing panned out, it came across as lazy storytelling. Then there were such obvious mistakes you knew Roland and Susannah would never make, like going into Dandelo’s house and stuffing their faces with fresh chicken and butterscotch. As if it wouldn’t occur to them that having all these things to hand whilst living in a deserted village on the edge of the ‘Bad Lands’ wouldn’t be a little bit suss. It just seems Roland and his Ka Tet were forever happening upon objects/people of significance, which in the end had no real significance at all, because it appeared the tower’s only real purpose was to throw Roland back to the beginning. It is hinted that Roland was ‘thrown back’ because he didn’t get it quite right i.e. didn’t bring the horn with him, but that still leaves the reader in exactly the same position as they were when they started the books, which is wondering what the hell is the tower, why is it so important, and what is its purpose? I suspect King knew the reader may feel this way, hence the rant at the end about how it is the journey that is important, not the end, and if you think otherwise, you’re an idiot. I hate to say it because for the most part, I am a fan of Mr King’s works, but I feel like I have wasted my time following Roland’s journey, to be frank, the last couple of books were a chore to get through, and as such I feel I should have stopped where I started, at ‘Wizard and Glass’ all those years ago!
on 14 March 2017
The Unsung Hero of Stephen Kings Considerable Talent:
Wow. What can I say? I didn't read this collection because having read Stephen's entire catalogue, I didn't see what amounts to a very long Western {I avoid Westerns like the plague usually} adventure, could possibly add to the mix. I couldn't be more wrong! I've read all of the Gunslinger volumes now, including the post conclusion addition Wind Through The Keyhole and I am once again left in awe. The way Stephen has written these tales weaves Cowboy Roland Deschain, Ex-druggie Eddie Dean, profoundly injured but in no way Disabled Susanna Dean and young but no Child Jake Chambers and their wonderfully intricately painted {That way Stephen has of creating live images of every tiny detail the through words} surroundings in to your imagination and in this case, your heart, is nothing less than breathtaking! When I am reading these books, I'm in love with Mr Deschain and the other characters feel like well loved members of my own family. I feel like I could walk out of my house and down the road and I will stumble into an arid wasteland populated by tumbleweeds, cowpokes and old world Sheriffs who wield huge nickel plated revolvers and drink themselves silly in the local tavern every evening to drown out the harshness of their daily lives. These stories are written so well you feel like you almost could be there. It's shocking how totally immersed one can get into the dreamscapes of another's very clever imagination.
I recommend you read these if you like John Wayne, or not. Read them if you've been avoiding them because they might be a little bit too far from Stephens usual work, because they're not. If anything life back then could be more harrowing than an alien invasion, a killer clown on the lamb, or a rip through time enabling one man to go through and rewrite history for the destruction of life as we know it. At turns these books are terrifying. But they're also beautiful, heart-wrenching, thought provoking and harsh. They are masterpieces each and every one.
There is no denying (or there shouldn't be) that Stephen King is a master storyteller. With his epic Dark Tower series, it's quite fair to be doubtful as to whether even he has the flair to pull off a fitting ending. My own view is that yes, he not only achieved that, he achieved it with poise and grace. Unfortunately, it's very hard to review the book without giving away too much of the plot. Perhaps best to stick to general observations - the book is unremittingly heartbreaking, contributing to one of the most deeply sad books I have read in a long time. The meta-fiction, of which so much has been made, doesn't ring *quite* true, but it's a testament again to Stephen King that he manages to integrate it so well into the story. As for the ending, I personally found it very narratively satisfying, and was foreshadowed expertly in many previous books.

The Dark Tower series generally is a fantastic series of books - perhaps it was the fact I read them all one after another that spared me the disappointment of later books - no highly anticipated book will ever survive the mounting expectations of a six year wait, and so reading them back to back ensures that none of the tremendous momentum is lost. My own view is that there is not a weak link in the entire series, that each does a fantastic job of setting up the necessary context for the rest. It's one of those series of books that are quite hard to *like*, because they are full of such pain and darkness and sadness, but they are absorbing in a way that very few series can hope to achieve.

Perhaps the most fitting evidence that King succeeded with me is that, despite working my way through all seven books, I am still eager to read more about Roland and his background.