on 16 June 2016
Restringing guitars always used to wind me up. Some of my guitars seem to have a very bad gear ratio that involves twirling machine heads for "hours" in order to get a semitone rise on the note. No more! Now I can plonk this winder over a machine head and look more as though I'm trying to start an antique car! The small section that fits around the machine head is designed to suit a variety of tuning peg styles, and won't suit basses with their elephant-ear wingnut tuners.

While it may be a useful accessory to a studio musician such as me, I can see it being essential to any gigging guitarist and certainly any guitar tech, it just cuts down so much time during a string change. Any tremolo Strat owner with the old-style trem bridge will know that a string break makes the whole instrument hopelessly detuned, at least now someone has a fighting chance of getting it playable before the next song in the set.
on 18 March 2014
Makes taking a set of strings off a piece of cake. I would just add a word of caution when it comes to putting new strings on though - this winder is very efficient and transmits a lot of torque. Pluck each string as you tighten it and STOP as soon as you hear the first sign of life from the string, then finish them off by hand. Over-enthusiasm will lose you at least one string and maybe more until you get the message...
on 8 September 2014
Why, oh why didn't I buy one of these before - all those years fiddling about winding strings on by hand and often getting them all tangled up. The device itself is very chunky and sturdy, and, not only can you wind strings on much more easily, there is a groove for hooking out string pegs. What!?
on 16 August 2016
Makes changing your strings a whole lot easier.
And as for all those whingers out there that keep saying it falls off when they wind the tuners, the only thing I can say is try just the smallest amount of pressure when winding.
I have not tried the peg puller yet but I anticipate no problems.
All in all a great product.
on 15 September 2013
I have re-strung about half a dozen Ukuleles in the last month or so (low cost ukes being fitted with better strings than those supplied). A real time saver. A basic tool at a fair price that has saved time and aching fingers.
on 12 December 2012
I would have given it 5 stars but the handle can easily knock on adjacent knobs when winding - a slightly longer shank would cure this (it is a difficult compromise to fit all the variants without too much wobble).
Once used to the above it is a great device and very well made - worth the money.
on 1 July 2016
This makes winding strings onto non locking machine heads (conventional ones) so much quicker and easier. Wish I had bought one years ago. It fits many different machine heads including bass machines. It also has a bridge pin puller for acoustic guitars.
on 1 December 2015
It has a loose fit on the tuners, but so long as you keep the rotation smooth, there shouldn't be any problem. As for the pin puller, well, I have always used a pair of wire cutters and gently eased the pins out with no problem. As this came with a dedicated tool, I gave it a go. Sheared the head of the pin right off. I won't use that again.
on 1 May 2015
Gimmic, loose fitting and knocks other tuners if you dont focus, why should I focus....found it much easier to go back to basics and use my thumb and fingers, good idea and good for people who may do this daily, may even be a better version of this but to me these should also accommodate the ability to wrap around a broken tuner holder....
on 30 April 2015
Arrived on time. I would not say the product is that good as while winding the strings, it constantly keeps knocking off the adjacent knobs and the holder kept slipping off. May be a slight design fault as ideally it should extend slightly more to ensure the holder grips the knob properly.