Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

A Single Man [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 9 December 2017
Ah well...not my cup of tea..
on 8 September 2014
Lovely boys but in the end a sad and nihilistic storyline.
on 1 May 2016
A terrific and very human movie, well played and beautifully photographed.

I sent this copy as a gift to a friend
on 6 May 2017
Not my cup of tea . Good acting but slow . Much prefer my time to be occupied not wasted.
VINE VOICEon 26 September 2013
I watched the film adaption of A Single Man last night on the box and ordered it immediately. It was a special book to me, probably Ishwerwood's best. I am no particular fan of Colin Firth, but his depiction of George was disturbingly accurate: he portrayed perfectly the sense of double exile in 1960s America: an ex pat Brit and a homosexual. The film is pleasantly observed, beautifully made, and for once existentially true to the book although there were some notable changes in dialogue and character. I first read this in 1986 - ironically the year Isherwood died - and of course in my vanity I associated myself with Kenny (who is well casted by the British actor from Skins). Now of course I realize I am George, in fact I AM George, and the bitter sweat entropy he feels is painted out on the screen with care. Afterwards I re-read the book: it does make me wonder whether now, in an era of sexual acceptance and openness, this sort of novel could be written. Isherwood would have rejected the idea of a gay novel, (he tried to embrace the idea of the American novel late in his life) but the secrecy implicit to George's life is was makes the book (and the film) so subversive and well observed. Now all is open and revealed and what gave Isherwood's work its peculiar grace, could not be written.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 25 April 2011
I had put off seeing this as there had been so much hype around it, that I felt it would not be able to live up to it all. I was happily proven wrong. This beautiful film is set in 1962, with the backdrop of the Cuban missile crisis and the first real societal awakening to the global threat of nuclear war. Whilst some people feel that man kind could be coming to an end, George (University Professor in California) played brilliantly by Colin Firth, has just lost his one true love in his boyfriend and can not see a reason to live.

His boyfriend Jim dies in a car accident whilst visiting his parents and they do not even tell him about it. He is denied from attending the service and has to cope with living when he feels dead inside, eking out enough emotional strength through memories to sustain day to day existence. He has a best friend, who like him is an ex pat Brit Julianne Moore. She was and clearly is still in love with him and finds her strength in gin and the forlorn hope of a love rekindled with George.

Some would call this lyrically paced, but I found it just moved along at the right speed to savour the whole thing. It is beautifully shot and stage, evoking the era in such a clear way that I got that it was the sixties immediately. There is so much attention to detail that you can tell it was a real labour of love. Tom Ford has made a film he can truly be proud of and we can be grateful to him. I often get miffed when straight actors play gay ones, when there are so many gay actors who never get a look in. However, acting is acting and if a good actor like Firth can do such an excellent job and thereby bring more attention to such a great work and story as this, then I have no problem.

This is a truly beautiful film, with style, humour and a study in human frailty through emotions and love that I found both moving and could really empathise with. Thoroughly recommend it.
on 22 April 2017
A Single Man is beautifully filmed. In fact, it's so close to sheer cinematic beauty that it's like watching art. The colour palette was great, contrasting the greyscale with some scenes in bright colours. Colin Firth once again brings his A game and the plot is quite touching in places. My major problem, is that the story and script isn't that actually compelling. It's a case of style over hardly any substance, which is a shame. Tom Ford definitely entered the film world with a great debut, but it just doesn't reach the heights that it thinks it does.
on 26 July 2016
A truly beautiful film based on the novel by Christopher Isherwood. This is one unique movie about deep and beautiful emotions expressed openly, truly and with grace. The acting of all actors involved can be described in one word - great! The movie is not about some sexual orientation mainly, even if some scenes in the film might suggest otherwise. It is more the meeting of human minds, the deep foundation of love. It is about loss and grieve and the attempt to cope with this all. Somehow there seems to be a fatalistic element present, and for my feeling the protagonist died way too early. He did not want to see a future, and that is sad. But the whole movie is full of so much dignity, you will deeply remember it long after you have watched it. The soundtrack under the same name is wonderful too.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 22 February 2012
This film version of the wonderful novel by Christopher Isherwood does not reproduce the realistic tone of the book and gives the whole thing a very airbrushed feel, beginning with the main character who is younger and more attractive than the character on the page. Nevertheless it works very well in its own terms, I think, and provides a fantasy of great appeal. George's day certainly has enough moments of beauty in it, including encounters with two men - the hyper-alluring Jon Kortajarena (who is a model in real life), and a student, equally lovely, played by Nicholas Hoult. These two men are so much a dream come true, and their attitude and generosity towards George so heartening, that it would be unthinkable to give it anything less than fully five stars. Julianne Moore also gives a performance that really gets under the skin of her character, and makes you realise, as always, how she is somehow very bold and risk-taking in the material she takes on. But the most credit must go to Colin Firth - and Tom Ford. Firth has always been a superb actor and has several times worked in films with a gay aspect - Apartment Zero, A Month in the Country, Another Country and Mamma Mia! (in the last of which he plays a gay character as here). All this, as well as being a straight heartthrob, and a very likeable one ... here his performance breathes life into what could have tilted over into a style-over-substance affair, but ultimately doesn't because he makes the character so feeling, he reveals the despair so poignantly, and the consolation ... The look on his face when the student seems to be offering himself to him is quite extraordinary in the way he gets the contradictory emotions of the moment.
My only gripe is with the box, which was also the poster for the cinema release. Why do they present it as if it is a straight romance with Julianne Moore? It seems to be trying to give the wrong impression. I know it isn't very important, but it is mildly irritating, especially as I have just noticed that the cover of Milk does something similar, and the colleague who killed him is shown pointing a gun and taking up more space than either of the lovers he had. As if we don't see enough guns pointing out at us from DVD shelves!
on 9 October 2017
As a bisexual person who has struggled with both anxiety and depression, I cannot emphasise enough how amazing and realistic the portrayal of mental health and suicidal tendencies is in A Single Man. Colin Firth really does a brilliant job at showing this on the screen as well; he is such an excellent actor and his performance had me crying, beaming, and, most of all, aching along with him. Total class. Additionally, the way George's sexuality and his relationship is shown is truly fantastic. Although George and Jim's relationship is very important to the narrative, it isn't the main focus of the storyline, however it's definitely not compressed or put aside. It's known to the audience that George is a gay man and is an important part of his identity while not taking over the whole film, much like in real life. We see George as a three dimensional person, not a political statement or stereotype. I absolutely adore everything about it and it certainly is my favourite film. Five stars for Tom Ford and for all the actors in this picture, it's utter perfection.