on 26 March 2009
If you love those golden nuggets from the musical movies of the 40s, 50,s and the 60s as much as I do, you will instantly embrace this one, featuring Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Grace Kelly and Celeste Holm performing some of the finest musical works around in a way that reaches deep into your emotions - especially if you go watch the High Society movie first, then you'll really get into the feel of what I'm talking about. The mood of that movie does that to a romantic such as I. Do yourself a favor: Get it!
on 16 March 2010
I remember in the fifties having a scratched lp of this soundtrack which was very low - fi! This cd does more justice to the soundtrack and is very HI -FI! This is one of my favourite musicals and it is very pleasing to here the songs as they SHOULD be heard, any time at home or in the car. plus a few extra bonus songs ...what a swell party this is!
on 9 October 2010
I used to listen to this soundtrack on an old vinyl lp that I found used (and a little abused) a long time ago and I was satisfied by the sound that came out of my speakers. It was open enough, detailed enough, exagerate in stereo imaging but natural in sounding. Songs were recorded in a way that you could imagine the movie scenes with your eyes closed and be bothered only by the sparse and random noise of dust.
What happened to the dust? Wiped! Yes but what happened to details? Wiped with the dust!! Ok but what happened to the openness and naturality of the sound? Wiped with the details!!!
How can a sound engineer that put an lp on a low quality turntable, digitize with a low quality sound card and low quality software, apply a random but huge amount of noise filtering, burn a cd and sell it at medium price, consider himself happy with the result? Every single little peak in volume is surrounded but an aura of noise. Everything that stays under a certain volume level lacks of detail and when details is awaken by dynamics (not too much) it hisses like a snake.
It really is a pity because this soundtrack is very good as it contains one of the most entertaining song by Bing and Louis trying to show us what this "jazz" is all about and I can assure you THEY KNEW!!! So I'll do what I hoped someone else could have done for me and extract a copy from my freshly washed and greased lp, apply the correct amount of filters and create my copy of a listenable cd.
Will I ever listen to this cd again? Maybe yes for the bonus tracks. To all the people interested in this item: It's rubbish by a quality point of view but maybe the only way to hear this songs (and a lot of bonus tracks indeed).
VINE VOICEon 5 March 2013
With acast including Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong and Grace Kelly, it is dificult to envisage this film as being anything short of superb - and that's just what it was. Having already bought the DVD, I wanted to own the sountrack album as well and i am glad that i did. "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire", "I Love You Samantha", "Well Did You Ever", "Now You Has Jazz" are just some of the ten memorable songs on this great soundtrack album. I have played it many times already and it is great every time.
on 17 October 2009
I can remember queing to get in to see this movie in 1956,how anyone can say this is an average film is beyond me.
Kelly, Crosby, Sinatra & Satchmo in great form lets cut a little slack guy's this is a 53 year old movie that still does it for me, and also my Grandkids who love it..
A wonderful soundtrack by the greatest musical composer of all Cole Porter..
on 8 January 2014
As Anton says [above] the sound quality is so much poorer than the original L.P.sound.Please note the more expensive CD versions carry the original L.P. artwork which I suspect are the same quality as the originals- but not the "aswas" cheaper version.Note Amazon sell the better ones too alongside these.I have a top quality Hi-Fi system and the original vinyl sound good in comparison.
on 28 January 2010
I have watched this film so many times, and even the original Philadelphia Story,but the musical version High Society reigns supreme, anyone who enjoys singing along with Bing or Frank wont be disappointed, all the tracks are from the original soundtrack, listen to the orchestral arrangement as Bing Crosby sings Samantha and it will have you enthralled, if you like the film then buy this C D and I guarantee you will not be disappointed
on 27 January 2008
So who would have thought of teaming Bring Crosby, Satchmo Armstrong AND Frank Sinatra together with the music of Cole Porter to dream up a "society story" around the well-heeled Newport Rhode Island clan? Well it works as a stylish collection of romantic tunes with laid back performances by Crosby. Sinatra brings a hard edge to the dialogue and albeit a slightly unusual pairing with Celeste Holm as magazine reporter/photographer duo. Grace Kelly is beautiful but almost too clean cut to be real and frankly over acts throughout. Louis Armstrong and his band adds spice in a few places and the "Well Did You Evah" duo by Crosby & Sinatra is a classic. O.K. the story is badly contrived but as long as we get to the wedding all's well that ends well. At least the orchestrations are lush and a Crosby/Sinatra combination adds all the class this musical needs. Pure soapbox as Crosby says in the song
on 4 April 2013
High Society was one of the first records my brother bought and I enjoyed the tunes then. I bought the CD after going to see a production of High Society at the theatre. The original soundtrack can not be bettered.
on 11 August 2013
I have loved High Society (& Sinatra) since I was a child.
This recording is wonderful as it is from the soundtrack of the original motion picture.
Fine performances by all with melodic, memorable & clever songs by Cole Porter.
Took a while to arrive but worth the wait.