Customer reviews

Brothers [VINYL]
Format: Vinyl|Change

on 24 August 2017
Very happy all round. Thanks.
on 4 September 2017
great music
on 29 August 2017
Fantastic album. Blues /Rock
on 19 May 2010
An early contender for album of the year, and for me this is easily the best album
The Keys have made. I have always liked the Keys, some of their songs are fantastic
3 minute riffed-out stompers, but albumwhise they have never been on heavy rotation.
This however, is pure class and gonna stick for a looong time.
The R&B and soul influences are more significant on Brothers than on anything they
have done before, and I see some Black Keys fans think this is too soft compared to
their older stuff (The most entertaining remark being; " there is NO excuse for
falsetto, this is not The Bee Gees"!! HA HA HA!), but I just don't get the criticism.
It's not like they have gone in a completely new direction. "You're the one" from
"Magic Potion" is very similar to the more mellow stuff on "Brothers"
This is a GREAT album and there is no mistaking it for anything else than the Black
Keys. Their sound just got refined, reshuffled and reimagined. Same, but different!

And by the way, falsetto works like a mother!
on 27 April 2011
Well this is probably be the most amateur review however when requested to write one i couldnt resist.

This album is my absolute favourite find of the year so far without a shadow of a doubt.

Its varied from song to song, the only true similarity through the album is the quality of the songs...superb!

Everlasting light starts us off in quite a subtle tone, none the less enjoyable and with some delightful vocals, "Let me be your everlasting light" comes out of me regularly in a replica fashion more than a few times a week.

Howling for you is a real high point for me, its leans towards a glam rock style heavey beat, soo catchy, so loud, fast paced (always played at high volume for me) and absolutely wonderful, i defy anyone who doesnt like this record.

I also cant waffle on enough about Ten Cent Pistol, brings to mind cowboy gansters and attractive girls, very cool, beautiful guitar and belongs on a film soundtrack, i could see it fit nicely into a Tarantino, it would definately be in mine, if i were ever to make one...hummm.

Never gonna give you up, beautiful soul style lyrics, grainy yet silky smooth vocals, pure pleasure for the ears telling of true devotion, perfect!

Ending with These Days, so mellow so chilled, for some reason always make me think of the brilliant Albatross by Fleetwood Mac, the most appropriate song for lying in a field in the sun...amongst other enjoyable things!!

In summary a great album, money couldnt be spent more wisely, i advise to make the purchase!!
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2012
I'm late to the Black Keys, and this is the only album of theirs I yet own. I'm in the process of remedying that.
I know from reading other reviews that many regard it as being over-produced, and prefer the older material.
I'll be in a position to judge that soon.
But for now: Brothers.
I can give this album no higher recommendation than to say that it is the first album in perhaps a decade that I have listened to over and over again, in the way (pre children) I once did.
It reminds me of the sound you might achieve if you could blend Neil Young, Spiritualized, Billy Bragg and Al Green.
Where once I'd no doubt have been rocking out at the front of trheir gigs, in my mid-40s I simply find this great, late night music for being alone with a glass of wine, low lights and my thoughts. (Or my wife, who likes the album nearly as much as I do.)
Very, very good indeed.
on 16 July 2017
Great album!
on 17 May 2017
Very good
on 5 April 2017
great
on 30 October 2015
One of their best albums