on 26 June 2009
I really enjoyed this book, it's a spinoff from the Cassie Palmer series by the same author and ties in nicely with the events that occur in those books. It focuses on Dory who is half vampire, a Dhampir. They're a rare breed who live very short and violent lives; as the reader learns pretty quickly with the amount of fighting Dory gets upto! Trouble seems to follow her around, hee. We open to find Dory searching for her BFF Claire who despite having a penchant for note leaving has neglected to tell her where she is, and is thus, as Dory concludes, missing. This is the main thread of the plot and is interwoven with another arc that reach a pretty satisfying conclusion... which was a gratifying change seeing as how involved and open ended the plots are in the Cassie books.

Whilst I liked the more narrow storytelling in play here and adored Dory as the protagonist, I didn't think this book was quite as good as the Cassie Palmer series -- but that might well be just personal taste. Indeed, I found Dory delightful in her cynicism and deadpan wit. I also loved that she apparently hates Mircea... I can't stand him personally, so I enjoyed that she totally saw through his manipulative persona. Having said that he was tolerable, even interesting, here, and I found his dynamic with 'the family' to be curious -- indeed, I thought he worked as a character here far more than in the other books. At any rate there was breadth and scope added to the dynamics.

I wondered what had happened to Lois-Cesare (an undead uptight Frenchman) so his appearance in this novel put to rest that little query. I never found him terribly interesting so I was glad to see him fleshed out a little. He's probably one of the few vampires I actually don't mind. It made me laugh that in Dory's inner monologue she refers to him as 'Frenchie', not terribly politically correct which is why it was funny. Radu also warmed my heart as did Drac. As usual Chance's secondary characters were colourful and quite often, hilarious. I did actually laugh out loud quite a few times throughout the book -- which is no mean feat!

The Fey character was a little blah to me. So Louis-Cesare was a welcome presence with his sweet but slightly 'uptight-at arms length' approach to dealing with Dory. They took no bull from one another and that was way more interesting to read about than how beautiful X character is. Indeed, Dory was good at not falling over herself too much over the males.

Looking forward to the next book, the ending was promising! Highly recommended!
on 21 October 2010
I really enjoyed Karen Chance's other series in the same world feature Cassandra Palmer so I was a little worried about starting this series in case it didn't match up. I'm glad to say it did! As a heroine Dory certainly fits into the strong independent woman who kicks butt and has a dark past mould easily but brings something different. She has a history as long as any vampire and certainly doesn't seem to spend any time weeping and moaning about it. She's driven and cares about her friends - her search for her friend, Claire, wasn't anything that was forgotten about despite Dracula's escape. And her relationship with Benny's wife was actually quite sweet.

The writing is as dense as the Cassandra Palmer series - not difficult to read but circumstances change so quickly, there's no speed reading this book - but you wouldn't want too. This Dory book was more linear than the Cassie books with a beginning, middle and end rather than just a series of events as part of wider story. There are a few cameos and staring roles from the Cassie books but nothing that feels too out of place. Lots of action and a slight hint of romance of Louis-Cesare keeps the pace throughout and I can't wait to pick up the next book - Death's Mistress, which luckily for me is sitting on my book case at the moment...
on 12 November 2010
Dorina is a dhampir, half human, half vamp, and has fits of uncontrollable rages like all dhampir. She's unusual in that she has managed to stay alive for over 500 years by channeling her rages into killing non-human creatures. When Daddy dearest shows up, Dorina knows it's not good news. When Daddy dearest asks her to go after Uncle Drac (yes, that Dracula!), she's sure he's only sending her on this suicide mission to finally be rid of her once and for all. Especially seeing the vamp he intends to be her partner...Louis-Cesare. It doesn't take long for both Dorina and Louis-Cesare to butt heads and become the targets of just about every other supernatural faction out there.
Very complex. Very intense. Very dark. I sucked this down like a vamp with O negative. This is really a dark urban fantasy with heavy emotional and relationship threads. Just about every character in this book could use the services of a good shrink (I'm thinking Lynda Hilburn's Vampire Shrink) and you can forget about trying to predict what will happen next! I loved it. I want another Dorina book soon so I can see where she and maybe Louis too are headed.
on 25 April 2011
I'd read the first 4 books of the Cassie Palmer series by Karen Chance and really enjoyed them, so when I was searching for something else of the same genre and this popped up I just had to give it a try. I must say I really enjoyed it and would truely recommend it to others.
This booked is linked to the Cassie Palmer novels, but it's seperate enough that you don't need to read one to make sense of the other, which has been the case in some of the other books I've read. The story line is strong with lots of little twists and turns, both in the main plot as well as the sub plots, to keep you guessing and the little romance going between the 2 lead characters is wonderful to watch unfold. Throw in some magic and fight sequences and you've got a very fast moving, interesting and very well constructed book that had me hooked very quickly. Now that's saying something as being a 20 something year old dyslexic with a severe short term memory problem to find books that move quickly and hold my attention is rare. This was a throughly good book which I think everyone who enjoys this genre should read.
on 26 April 2009
i found this book amazing, it kept me reading until i finished, which was in one sitting, i found this book more interesting if not the same as the cassie books, though i much enjoy them, it was nice to find out about mircea in a different context. It was very inlighting to find a soft side and a very much sexy side to louise-clare, i very much hope that there will be more on dory and her adventures, hopeing faithly that louise-clare has more to come.
on 18 September 2009
What a fantastic author Karen Chance is - I enjoyed all her other books, and this book didn't disappoint. Full of intrigue, excitment and twists to the story - I can't wait for the next book to come out. I would recommend this to any fan of the paranormal genre; it includes romance, excitment and a great story line.
on 30 December 2013
I love the way Karen chance can write about vampires and trolls without it all sounding childish. This book has me hooked and I can't wait to start the next one.
on 2 January 2013
The beginning of this book was promising but towards the end just got annoying. Basically the heroine falls down a lot, and the bad guy is defeated. The end.
on 13 April 2016
Loved the Cassie Palmer series so much and was NOT disappointed by this book!!! Absolutely fantastic!!
I highly recommend this book! <3
on 10 January 2012
The first book in the Dorina Basarb series. A great read full of fun, some naughty-ness and a twisting plot. A big influence on my own writing.