Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 February 2012
I never paid much attention to Katie Melua and thats because she was always dumped in the Jazz section of local stores (I hate Jazz).

I heard the song flood last week at a friends house and was totally gobsmacked at the crystal clear quality of the production and her vocals. I love how the song changes tempo, and its one of the best songs I've heard for a long time.

Needless to say I bought the CD and I'm loving every track on it - so much so that I've ordered all her CDs :)
Get it, you wont regret it!
on 11 July 2010
This is a simply gorgeous album and Melua's best by far. Yes, we all knew she was a quality singer and songwriter with an impressive catalogue of perfectly constructed, emotive songs under her belt but I don't think we expected this. William Orbit's delicate-sounding production is superb and really suits Kate's pure, breathy vocals and gives the songs a contemporary feel that will bear many repeat listens. But the icing on the cake is Guy Chambers who co-writes nearly all the best songs: 'The Flood', 'Tiny Alien' 'A Happy place' and the fun, Eastern European-flavoured 'A moment of Madness'. Her usual writing partner, Mike Batt offers the equally brilliant and atmospheric 'God on Drums, Devil on the Bass'. It is possibly my favourite album so far this year(and I've heard many) and an album I'll be playing for a long time to come.
on 9 July 2010
Katie Melua never disappoints me and her latest album is another masterpiece!

From 'The Flood', a complex orchestral production to the delightfully simple 'Tiny Alien' Katie show she is constantly developing her talent and becoming more involved with the writing of the songs. Her brilliantly clear, unique voice is enchanting and the seemingly long wait between albums is always well worth it!
on 23 June 2017
No problems, good seller, good price, fast delivery
on 12 August 2010
9. Plague Of Love = 4/5
10. God On The Drums, Devil On The Bass = 3,5/5
11. Twisted = 4/5
12. The House = 3/5

Album total = 4/5. Great work by Katie. My best pop album of this year to-today ...
on 22 May 2010
Katie Melua's fourth studio album, and her first away from the guiding influence of Mike Batt, a collaboration that has produced some fabulous music over the last five years. It seems this has been something of a double-edged sword for the artist. In my humble opinion she is a supremely gifted singer and no mean songwriter either, but her critics have always used the "Batt factor" as an excuse to undermine her worth. I hope I am wrong, but it seems to me she may have felt this a little too, grateful for the mentoring, musicianship and astounding song-writing talent of Mr Batt, but feeling in latter years that she still needs to prove herself as an individual. If that was the case, then it is a testament to her ambition and dedication that somebody who has already penned such heartbreakingly beautiful songs as "Faraway Voice", "Piece By Piece" and "I Cried For You" should still feel the need to prove her writing ability.
Melua's songs don't always grab one instantly. In fact I have initially dismissed several as duds. But it is always the same - after a couple of plays they begin to haunt my brain like some strange, beautiful ghost.
The House certainly hasn't let me down. In fact I think it is superb. Lyrically clever, haunting, diverse and full of subtle melodies, there is plenty here to please the old Melua fans, but enough diversification from her past style to gain many new ones (and hopefully some younger ones!) William Orbit's production is certainly evident, and some passages wouldn't be out of place in a club. I especially liked the little vocal quirks which are dotted throughout the songs, which only someone of Melua's talent and range could pull off effectively. In fact, in places it put me in mind of Kate Bush's vocal experimentation - and that's no bad thing.
You may not enjoy Melua's particular style, and that is down to individual taste. But for me this album proves there can be no doubt about her talent as a writer of songs.
You may suspect I am a fan of Katie Melua's music, and of course you would be right.
I for one hope that she keeps producing albums as good as "The House" (and her previous three albums) for many years to come. But whatever I say won't make any difference. You will either like something or you won't, and the only way to find out is to listen to it.
But in my opinion, pure talent, with or without Mr Batt.
Highly recommended.
At last a new album from Katie. Her last album was just a mix of old tracks with a couple of new ones thrown in, which seemed to me a blatant cash-in for the buyer at Christmas. But now we are treated to a whole new album of songs. Katie reputedly broke with Mike Batt, but he is the executive producer here and has co-written one of the songs. Now I love Katie but I know that a lot of people don't. My mum thinks she sounds like she's singing dirges, and my dad said he felt like throwing himself under a train when he was listening to her once whilst travelling into work.

There are some songs here that are reminiscent of her older songs, but also she seems to have lost that blues feeling she had, which is a disappointment, and has gone a bit more pop, although so saying I always class Katie as easy listening anyway. Don't expect anything too edgy here, but if you like Katie Melua anyway you should love this album. All the songs here are written or co-written by Katie except for 'The One I Love Is Good', which is by Bill Monroe. If you have never listened to Katie Melua before then don't expect something edgy with deep meaningful lyrics, after all she isn't a Tracy Chapman. If you like to put your feet up and listen to something relaxing, then this album is for you.
on 11 September 2010
If you buy this simply on the strength of being a Melua fan then play it three or four times or in other words don't jump to conclusions!

The 'girl next door' image is going if not gone, but Katie's voice still sounds great, a little more earthy on some tracks and still powerful too. I particularly like 'The Flood' which has great lyrics and a dynamic production. Many may disagree but I could hear a little 'Madonna' (at her best) style coming through on this track and others - perhaps not surprising with William Orbit producing.

Katie punches her weight on the vocals, and few of these songs will ever appear on top karaoke charts because it is clear they are difficult to sing, indeed I feel that in some cases only Katie (and perhaps Madonna) could do justice.

In short Katie will keep her existing following and earn new fans with this album, it grows on you with every play.
on 23 June 2010
I can't say much else other than - what a fantastic album! I was hooked after the first listening, and love the new side of Katie's music mixed in with the 'old' Katie - perfect for new and old fans! My personal favourites are the Flood and Tiny Alien...find myself singing along already, which is not always the case with some of her songs. I'd definitely recommend this album to anyone interested in Katie Melua and her music :)
on 28 August 2010
Superb talent on display once again, hitting all the right notes.

Enjoyable from the first to the last second this is a truly great album, no matter how much the "BBC review" above protests.

If you like your "music" as randomesque noise, then it would be no surprise you would not enjoy this album.

On the other hand, if you like music for the things music is all about, melody, beauty of composition and voice, then add it to your basket and seize the day for indulgent enjoyment.