on 2 February 2012
This is the story of Farrell and Aiden. The story begins in County Cork Ireland 1855. Farrell works for their English landlord in his house but the lord's son Noel has made advances to her and she has repelled him, running home. Her brother Michael also works for the English Lord collecting rents, but he is a ruthless and ambitious man. While knocking down a cottage for what he claims is non payment of rent. Michael is attacked by Aiden and killed. Farrell is betrothed to Liam Aiden's brother, but now that Farrell has rejected the Lord's sons advances and Aiden has killed her brother. They are forced to flee their village and leave Ireland for America. The local priest had married them before they left. Farrell loves Liam, he is quiet and steady not like Aiden who has always been quite the ladies man and a bit of a rogue, not Farrell's idea of a husband at all. Noel Cardwell the Lords son has decided to follow them, and bring them to justice.
This is a wonderfully written story, the detail and descriptive writing just make the story flow. I was unable to put this down. The characters are so well developed and the plot so well done that you live the story right along with the characters. I love that this about ordinary people and their struggle to live a decent life. I have read my fair share of historical romances, but many authors rely on writing about the rich members of the ton, and aristocracy. So this story as with many others by this author are like a breath of fresh air. Alexis Harrington is fast becoming one of my favourite authors, her books are well researched and beautifully written.
26 people found this helpful
on 4 October 2013
I loved this book, quite a simple story but it held my interest, as I am of Irish decent in made me think of my own family, the one's I knew and those that I never met, the hardships that so many Irish people had known, and the courage they had to leave their homes to seek a better life.
I wanted this story to go on and on, maybe a follow up would be a good idea, although getting on in years there must be still a tale or two to tell from our happy couple.
on 16 October 2013
Loved this book. A must read. I am presently reading everything I can about the Irish Famine. In actual fact there should not have been a famine. Food was being exported. Anyway enough, this book was a great read, I have recommended it to others. Thank you
on 20 April 2014
Though I am Irish, I rarely read about Ireland, but I really enjoyed this book, lots of my ancesters emigrated to America in the early 1900, and this gave me a great insight into their travels, and what they had to go through, how hard life was for them, makes me thankful to live in the age we do now. Well worth a read amd I think its well written and reserched.
on 22 April 2013
Never read this author before and was unsure about purchasing, but was brillant once I started reading couln't put it down really compelling story of the hardships of Ireland and the difficult journey too and accross America . Will certainly read Alexis again.
on 31 July 2015
Surprisingly good. An epic tale that kept me going right until the very end. Their relationship was very real, I found. Earthy.
on 18 September 2013
Is there a sequel? this book was a great read and I would have liked to have read more of this family. Just shows what people had to put up with in bygone days and how they survived. Well written
on 22 August 2013
A really compelling story and the characters were so real. I couldn't get enough of the book and needed to get to the end to know what happened to them.
on 23 January 2016
Fab book read it three times love it!!!!
on 23 February 2014
This book had me spellbound. Following this reluctant couple on their enforced voyage the suspense held me all the way through. While I'm not fundamentally a romantic novel reader a little romance helps keep me interested. A thoroughly enjoyable read.