on 25 March 2017
Storm front is a fantastic debut that introduces Harry Dresden and the Dresden files perfectly. It is the perfect balance of snarky character, murder mystery and supernatural elements.

Dresden as a main character is always entertaining, a balance of snark and gentleman that is done in such a way that he does feel like a real live person even with being a wizard. Bob however stole the book for me, there is just something about him that makes his antics hilarious.

The mystery does keep the reader guessing, at times leaning towards one character as the killer then another as it is written in such a way that the twists appear to reveal things that are not as they seem.

The audiobook narrator for Storm Front is perfect for the tone of the book and not only carries Harry's character well but all other side characters, making them appear completely lifelike.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone wishing to start a supernatural mystery series and will be continuing on to the next book.
on 21 December 2015
I bought Storm Front fairly late in the day, with very little idea of the subject and content. Being a part of the nerd/geek community I had just seen references to "Harry Dresden" in several different arena and finally thought I'd give the first one a go.

Let me get this bit out of the way - this is the first book. The first published book of Butcher and it shows; the edges are a little jagged, the prose could do with a little more polish and there are a few small sections that you feel could have done with some extra re-writing.

And this book is still one of the best urban-fantasy books I have had the fortune to read.

Whilst it feels somewhat disconnected from the later books in the series (but cleverly and well shoehorned back in, in later publications), you get a real sense of what Butcher was trying to achieve, and can read safe in the knowledge that each following book gets stronger and more well written.

Storm Front sets the scene - a novel length prologue if you will - for what has become affectionately known as the Dresdenverse. The detective elements are well written and I can find few faults in the logic of the 'crimes', whilst the explanation of the magic system and its interaction with the real world.

Storm Front is highly recommended for those who like their fantasy more gritty, their urban more magical and their Noir a bit different.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 October 2015
The first in the Harry Dresden series, a great read which I will not go to far into as others have commented well on this.
Two things of note though.
1. I have just re-read this after reading all of the rest of the Dresden Files series and I was impressed at how consistent it was with the rest of the series. Like a TV pilot, some authors change things between the first book and later ones when they set out writing a series. But not so with this series. I also like that there are several seeds set for later books in the series too, but I'll say no more on that as I don't want to give out any spoilers.
2. I have also got the audio book of this too. I read/listen to this on my iPad with the Kindle App and can swap between the two modes with ease and also read along as I listen too. It is well read by James Marsters (Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer), who also reads all the other books in the series. If you enjoy this series I would say that the audio book is a well worth the investment
One person found this helpful
on 1 August 2016
I won't go into a detailed review here, because there are plenty of them for this novel out there, but I will say that this is my third time buying this book because I lent the first out and didn't get it back, and this time it was as a Valentine's Day gift for my boyfriend who'd I'd been recommending it to for months. I've re-read The Dresden Files myself several times over the years and it still never gets old - Storm Front itself is a good book, but a couple more books down the line it starts to become a richer Dresden-verse and the books become amazing. My boyfriend loved it just like I knew he would, and has since then purchased each of the books in the series and consumed them at a very rapid pace. Buy it, and enjoy that first read through of one of the best series I've ever read as a voracious reader.
on 14 February 2016
Oh so good. Wonderfully read by James Marsters, who brings the character of Harry Dresden to life so well. His timing is impeccable. Even if you have read the book, it is worth buying the audio version, it adds an extra dimension - and for fast readers, it prolongs the pleasure! This is the first of the Harry Dresden novels and introduces the Wizard Private Investigator and several of the characters who will continue to be developed in subsequent books in the series. The world-building is fascinating and makes perfect sense, the plot is ingenious and pacing is just right. Harry himself is instantly engaging and this first book establishes him as the underdog who just won't give up when it comes to protecting those more vulnerable than himself - but always with a wry sense of the absurd. Warning; you may well be hooked on the series so be prepared to be dragged in to Harry's world and fork out for the next audiobooks - 16 I think, with more to come. Hooray!
on 14 February 2018
This is my second Audio Book review so far. Both have been bad. Which I hope doesn't mean people assume I hate books or am hard to please. I feel the past two have just been poor selections on my part.

I gave up on this about 40% of the way through. I HATED the main character. He is an idiot. He talks about women like a 12 year old boy. He is full of snarky remarks following every conversation. Also, he talks about how he's a wizard every two minutes. But there really isn't much actual wizarding. Just lots of pouting.

Anyhow, I know lots of folk liked this book, and apparently the series does improve. I really liked the concept of a Wizard PI Noir type of thing. But it just really rubbed me the wrong way.
on 5 August 2011
So, I came to this book, finally, having known about the tv series and having seen the books on the shelves whenever I was perusing in Waterstones, but not really taking an interest until recently.

Storm Front introduces Harry Dresden, wizard. As his advert in the Yellow Pages says "Lost Items Found - Paranormal Investigations - Consulting - Advice - Reasonable Rates - No Love Potions, Endless Purses, Parties or Other Entertainment." In typical film noir fashion, Dresden is a down-at-heel private investigator-type, who is a consultant to the Chicago police department's Special Investigations unit - but, seeing as they don't pay very regularly and Harry has bills to pay - he also takes on private cases. Storm Front starts with a disturbing double murder that the police want his input on, and then he simultaneously takes on a missing persons case to pay the rent he's far behind on.

It all sounds very familiar, and it is. But it's told from a laconic first-person viewpoint, with a winning, self-deprecating sense of humour, and it's easy to read and fast-paced with it, with some well-realised action sequences and a couple of scenes with genuine suspense. It does contradict itself at times (for instance, Dresden tells us that normal people don't know about wizards or magic, but then everyone knows to avoid eye-contact with him - perhaps this is just the rough edges of an author's first novel), and it's not ground-breaking, controversial, or in any way thought-provoking. But it's Fun, with a capital F. I finished it with a smile on my face, and downloaded the second book to my Kindle straight away. After all, I'm told it gets better and betters as the series goes along.

And I know I'm onto a winner when the first chapter contains a line like: "Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."
on 4 February 2014
There are all the expected scenarios in this crime novel - Harry Dresden works with the police when they have a supernatural crime, but he doesn't do as he is told, goes his own way, ignores warnings, all the usual things you get in a detective novel. However, the pace of the novel is good (I even got the feeling that the action continued when I wasn't reading it, perhaps there really is something strange happening out there). I did have to skip a few bits which got too gory for me but presumably there are people who like reading all these details, I find my imagination is good enough. I like the dancing around that he has to do so that people on real earth don't know that he really is a wizard with connections to a different world to the one we live in.

I am finding since the advent of self publishing that Kindles have promoted that it is difficult to find good new authors - you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince. I know Jim Butcher is not a particular new author but he is new to me, and I will be reading more of this books. Glad I managed to start with the first one even if there is a bit of scene setting.
on 3 April 2012
I probably shouldn't have read this immediately after reading Moon Over Soho (Rivers of London 2). Two urban fantasies in a row, one very British and one very American. I'm afraid that Storm Front did suffer somewhat in comparison.

That is not so say that is is a bad book. It's actually very good. It just didn't resonate quite as much as the Aaronovitch books, probably because I'm more familiar with the UK policing system and the places which are explored in those novels.

I did have a throughly good time reading this. Harry Dresden is brilliant litary creation. He is Sam Spade with a staff, Mike Hammer with a spell book, Mickey Spillane with a potion and he inhabits a world which is close to our own but where also demons are real and Vampires are sexy and run an escort agency.

The writing is not completely smooth and effortless but maybe that is not surprising as this is the authors first published novel. What he does do though is a great job of creating a world filled with possibilities, colourful characters like Bob the Skull and Morgan the vengeful watchdog who has a real hard on for Harry, and Butcher provides hints that there is back story that will be explored further in upcoming books.

I look forward to reading the next instalment.
on 13 June 2014
This series has been recommended to me on a number of occasions and for some reason I never picked it up and knew very little about it. I finally decided to give it a shot and I'm glad I did. It is such a fun and entertaining book, the characters are fun and well written. Who doesn't like Harry? Smart-ass characters just have an appeal like no others. I was so engrossed at one point that I had completely forgotten to eat or drink anything for hours. I look forward to reading the other books in the series.