Colour: Blue|Change

on 30 June 2012
Kind of annoyed in reflection - I love Colourworks stuff, as its so bright and cheerful, but really when you look at these jugs properly, theyre more than a bit of a let down.

3 main reasons:

1. The handles: They seem ok where the coloured block joins the stem, but the handles are, especially on the largest jug, a little on the short side - so someone with large hands or an infirm grip (arthritis?) would probably find these awkward, particularly with liquid in. So basically theyre a bit poor design.

2. Quality: Theyre scuffed in places already and I havent even used them, and theres a sticker on the bottom saying "not suitable for microwave", so I assume they'll craze if I put them in the dishwasher too. They feel VERY cheap and plasticy, almost like toy ones - so I feel like they wont hold up long either.

and the biggest one for me -

3. The Measurement Scales: These start at 50ml on all 3 jugs, going up in increments of 50. This is fine for the 900ml, but I expected the smallest jug to have a smaller gradient - eg 10s, not 50s - I mean unless you were measuring small amounts, why else would you want a mini measuring jug?? Sure you can guess the amount but I could do that with my old jug, and I bought these thinking they would be (given the price tag) a better item with more flexible use - why else would it include 3 sizes where the largest isnt even a litre?. Fail.

I'll be returning these and investing in a less pretty but more practical product.
on 11 February 2013
Lovely set of jugs!! find them very useful, but found when putting hot liquids in them, they 'crack'. Not right the way through, but just enough to ruin the cosmetic look of the items. Bit disappointing but still very useable.

Since writing this review I was making some custard and poured boiling water into the jug and it split right through spilling boiling water everywhere - including on my hand!! PLEASE BE CAREFUL NOT TO USE FOR HOT LIQUIDS!!
on 3 January 2013
So delighted to find these jugs, stacking as others have said, with jolly red handles. So I was shocked to find the plastic surface inside bubbled and degraded after just one use.
Then, on looking more closely, find the words NO MICROWAVE embossed on the bottom.
For us this means they are virtually useless. If you put some gravy or sauce in a jug the thing you are most likely to want to do with it when you take it out of the fridge is to zap it in the microwave.
The product description should include this limitation so that others are not misled as I was
on 23 October 2011
It took a long time for me to understand that my cooking improves if I actually stick to recipes. And sticking to the recipe means measuring things properly. I became a convert to following recipes and actually measuring stuff. I started making bread a couple of months ago and that also encouraged me to measure things properly. With bread making, if you get the volumes of water wrong, you generally also get the temperature wrong and your bread pays the price of your laziness.

So why did I need three jugs instead of just buying one? Like most tools, the important thing is to have the right size for the job. Use too small a jug and you'll have to measure out repeat quantities to get the right volume and you might forget to count and get it completely wrong. Use too big a jug and the accuracy goes to pot and you can easily over dose your ingredient. I could probably get by with two jugs at a pinch, but having a third is handy if you are measuring different liquids and don't want to have to keep washing or drying between.
The big jug measures one and a half pints or up to 33 fluid ounces down one side and 900 ml on the other. The mid-sized jug does ¾ of a pint or 16 fluid ounces on one side or 400 ml on the other scale. And the baby has 8 fluid ounces on one scale and 200 ml on the other. Between them they cover most of the volumes I need to measure in day to day cooking.

When making my favourite bread recipe, I need 100 ml of boiling water and 200 ml of cold tap water. The easiest way to get this right is to measure 100 ml of boiling water in the small jug (where the measurement is most accurate) then transfer that to the mid sized jug. Then I measure 200 ml of cold water into the small jug and transfer that across to the mid sized jug too. Yes, I could measure 100 straight into the mid sized and the poor cold straight from the tap on top but I would get it wrong nine times out of ten and add too much and then the water would not only be the wrong amount, but also the wrong temperature.

The jugs are made of polycarbonate and I'm sure that fans of Pyrex will be 'tutting' and wondering why I would buy plastic rather than Pyrex. The complex answer would be something about the lightness of the items and the nice way they stack together - the simple answer is you can't get Pyrex in pink. Don't be fooled into thinking that just because they're plastic they'll be rubbish. The jugs come with a 5 year guarantee. OK, I admit that my Grandma has the same Pyrex jug for over 40 years but yet again, I have to point out that it wasn't PINK. The jugs can be washed in the dishwasher which is handy and they stack together nicely so that they don't take up much space in the cupboard. And because they stack, it's easy to keep them all together rather than spreading them around between different cupboards. Best of all, of course, they go with all my other pink kitchen gear.
on 25 March 2011
The jugs in general are useful i guess, if you really need 3 different sized jugs to measure liquids in. Although the product is described as having 'cup' measurements, and the picture also shows this, it is incorrect. None of the jugs have 'cup' measurements on, only pints or ml. So if you need a jug for baking purposes then choose another brand. Other than that the jugs seem to be made of fairly strong plastic, i have not yet tested the strength of the handles however they do feel a little weak.
on 2 November 2016
These are very inaccurate. I only just went to use them and to measure my milk for my cereal. When I poured the milk into the bowl it looked like way too much for 125ml and it turned out when I put it into an old measuring mug I had that it was in fact 150ml. So no good for measuring any liquid. What a waste of money.
on 9 November 2016
There are 2 faults with these measuring jugs. 1 - They are not dishwasher proof. 2. They are poorly designed - if you are right handed, the ML measurements are on the back of the jug where you can't see them. Surely most people measure in mls? Next time I will just spend the extra money and get decent Pyrex jugs.
on 18 October 2013
I liked the look of these on the site and they were lovely when they arrived, the first time I made stock in the large jug it cracked! Not all the way through but each time I use it the cracks get worse, wouldn't recommend these! I'm going to stick to glass.....
on 25 February 2014
I thought these jugs were great initially, but the first set we bought started cracking within 2-3 months of buying them - and they had only been subjected to light usage. Amazon kindly replaced them for us, but after another 3 months of light usage again, they are already cracking again.

I have looked them up elsewhere and they are meant to be dishwasher and microwave safe, but after the first batch were returned we then avoided using the second batch in the dishwasher or microwave, although this wasn't terribly practical. However they still cracked!

I also noticed that it says 'no microwave' on the bottom of the jugs - so there is obviously some confusion over what they are suitable for.

Anyway we have just had a full refund for the second batch and will have to revert to glass jugs now I think. Shame, as they were really good little jugs to start off with.
on 24 January 2016
I was happy with the delivery of these jugs and the packaging was fine.. Initially they served their purpose with measuring for baking but I noticed after only about 5 or 6 weeks after washing them up in normal hot water (as in, not scorching) they started to crack, all around them were little short cracks and I was a little miffed but didn't think much at the time, I also sometimes make gravy in a jug if I'm not using meat juices and after pouring water from the kettle into the biggest one, it was making a horrendous noise of crackling and when I quickly tried to move it to the sink, it basically fell to bits before I got there! Almost like a little explosion, half the jug just popped off from the rest and obviously hot gravy went everywhere, the middle sized one just gave up after being washed 'too many' times, you would expect to keep kitchen jugs for more than a couple of months! But that just broke to bits and I wasn't using it roughly by any stretch of the imagination.. Never used them in the microwave as I noticed after I bought them they weren't microwave safe, but to have them damage in just hot washing up water was annoying, I would not recommend these jugs if you have more than one use in the kitchen for them, and that is for cold water! Now I'm left with just the tiny one and that has limited use as its so small anyway..