on 9 September 2011
So far I have only used the Ryobi as a garden strimmer. I selected it for the good name Ryobi has for electric equipment. Coming to an electric tool after a powerful petrol strimmer (a Stihl)I had no very high expectations; and was pleasantly surprised. While I should not attempt the sort of work on rough ground which I tackled happily with the much heavier petrol tool in the past, it is excellent for doing the bits of grass around the trunks of trees and the like, emphasising the contrasting lightness. I have yet to use it in edge-trimming mode - not sure that I see the need for a power tool for this. The one problem I have encountered - and an irritating problem it was - is that the lock-nut for positioning the lower, adjustable handle was totally useless - despite swinging off with a wrench it was impossible to tighten it up effectively; and the handle slid up and down the strimmer shank, and turned around its axis. Having found the position that was right for me, I resorted to the inelegant solution of strapping it in position with duct tape; which means of course it cannot readily be adjusted to suit anybody else.
on 26 September 2011
Bought this item to replace a Black & Decker strimmer which had given me good service for a number of years. Took advice from Which magazine who gave it a top rating. Found instructions not very good and it took some time to assemble it and have still to discover how the flower guard is assembled to the product. Most dissapointingly however was it's weight which I found to be quite heavy ( I am passed retirement age and my arms were aching when I had edged just one of my lawns) The stimmer line on this machine exits it's housing offset which I found made it very difficult to get a neat edge to the lawn, if I lined up one line the other dug into the lawn. It seems to be aimed more at the profesional market than the amatuer and is ment to clear rough ground rather than give a neat edge to a lawn. It was quite noisey but not uncomfortably so. The strimmer line rotates so fast and with such force that it is most important to wear safety goggles for I found that it threw up any undiscovered small stones or debris. I feel also that for this item to work correctly it requires a firm area around the lawn to be edged ie slabs/concrete. Before making a purchase I would suggest you have a trial using this item if at all possible. Had I have known the above before purchase I would not have bought it.
11 comment| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 May 2011
A super and very powerful strimmer. Recommended by 'Which? Gardening' and I can understand why. Excellent adjustable control over length of shaft and position of handle so the balance, for ease of use, is just great. If I have one small problem it is that I find I cannot switch completely from grass trimming mode to edging, by using the foot pedal, with the machine raised as recommended. It needs me to manually rotate the knuckle head into the position required. Perhaps as I become more used to it I will be confident enough to apply more pressure. Nowhere near as heavy in use as I'd feared it might be thanks to the overall design. Great addition to my garden devices.
on 6 July 2013
I bought this to kill thick weeds and it works.
You can place it stationary above a dandelion, give a short flick of the switch, and the plant is destroyed right down to the ground, without endangering surrounding plants. The hope is that repeated application will deplete the root tubers and kill the weeds permanently, without using glyphosate, to which the weeds seem to have grown resistant.
I have not tried it on lawn edging.

Only caveat: cutting weeds causes so much vibration that the little blade to keep the cord cut short has dropped off and got lost. So far no problem with the cord slicing through the plastic guard, but other people on other strimmers have warned of this.

Buy the Black and Decker A6171-XJ cord which is more rigid than the Ryobi, but a lot cheaper, and you are not paying for a cassette.
on 22 June 2012
I used the Ryobi line trimmer once and the line did not cut 100m linear length of lawn before the line was finished. Ryobi have not sent me instructions or a diagram to re-line the machine. I have been telephoning, emailing, and writing since before 23 May 2012. The cheapest unit replacement line unit I found is £8.99 a reel. Which means that it will cost between £13 and £17.98 to cut the edges of my lawn every time. My old Wolf lawn trimmer is negligible on costs and I am againusing this old trimmer. The Ryobi is much too expensive to use after the initial line unit is used. To date I have not had any useful reply from Ryobi.
on 20 May 2011
Great Trimmer easy to set up and use. Great for doing edging. The first one I ordered the wheel kept falling off, Amazon were as usual very good, returned for full refund. The second one is working well. Quality Item....
on 8 July 2011
I ordered this after reading the rewiews, it seemed to be exactly what I wanted. It is a great product, I have quite severe Arthritis and sometimes have a hard time trimming the edges of my lawn, this product works very well, leaves a very neat and tidy edge, even better that I could do with shears. It is a bit heavy, but this is conterbalanced by the fact I am not bending over and straining my back, also takes a fraction of the time. Well worth the extra money for a better quality machine, I had one of the cheaper strimmers, and it kept falling apart.
on 21 May 2012
Bought this on Which recommendation: it is easy to assemble, not much to do just screw on tough plastic guard. Works like a dream, delighted and I'm about to order one for my father-in-law. Can't say better than that! A great high quality well-built purchase.
on 29 June 2014
Bought this strimmer two or more years ago - jammed up on the first try. Had to take it to a dealer to sort out who recommended a new reel. Tried again this last week, same thing happened. Telephoned the help line to tell them the line would not extend automatically - he suggested the line was wound the wrong way. Same problem but worse. Obviously there is a design fault. Discarded the useless machine back to the garage.
on 3 August 2011
Auto line feed does not function and line requires manual advance every 15 seconds or so.
This strimmer has a particularly thin diameter line that breaks and wear out quickly.
Ryobi have no replacement line available to Oct 11.
There will doubtless be many like myself who have purchased a strimmer for summer only to find that when the line that comes with it has run out, they have a strimmer that is useless for remainder of this summer.
Lousy product, lousy after sales. My advice would be to avoid it.