1,008
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 18 October 2006
Let's just get a few things straight here. This film came out when I was 14 years old. I was one of the only straight, teenage boys on Earth who actually admitted to liking the film. Yes, I'll be honest, I saw it five times at the cinema (count 'em) and bought it on VHS the day it came out. Being a little older I can see many of the faults in the film but I still love it, if not quite as much as I used to.

The reaction to the film was unparalelled, nearly $2,000,000,000 at the box office and 11 Academy awards. I think the fact that so many people fell for this film made others want to pick holes in it. Yes, some of the script was corny, but there is a lot of emotion, some great acting, excellent drama and stunning cinematography.

The romance is perhaps a tad cliched, but it is NOT mushy. The real strength of the film is in the ship itself which proves to be the star of the show. The real ship at the start is a sight to behold but it is the sinking of the great vessel that makes the film great. From the deep roar as the Titanic slowly dips further below the surface to the death-defying dashes for safety, the adrenlin simple flows off the screen. As the ship falls apart, the tension is truly gripping. The scene where the great, glas, dome ceiling caves in and the water rushes through the ship is one of the most powerful I have ever seen and of course there is the tragedy of the bodies in the water.

Although my love of the film has waned in the last few years there is more than enough left to make for an epic film and one of the best of the 1990s. Look past the hype, pretend no one ever went nuts for the movie and just see it as you first saw it and you might just remember what you first experienced at the cinema - an excellent film!
44 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2006
Titanic is without a doubt the most successful film of all time, in terms of box office receipts and Oscar success. Hard to believe that before it was released it was being billed as a failure on the scale of 'Waterworld'. James Cameron's creative vision and obsession with detail may have caused his cast and crew some ire - but the end result is truly astounding. It has flaws: for me these mainly rest with the overdone Cal-with-a-gun plotline which did not need to go so far (wasn't what was going on around them dramatic enough??!) and some of the dialogue is cheesy to say the least. BUT, the strength of the film is undoubtedly in the very human heart of its story, not just as represented by the relationship between Rose & Jack, but in the painstakingly accurate (as far as possible) insertions of real-life characters and events. Some of the effects are not perfect either (I think particularly of the super-imposed faces as 'Jack' and 'Rose' run from the wall of water) but none of these things detract from what is undeniably one of the great spectacles ever seen in cinema. The sinking of the great ship itself is gobsmacking. As you see her rise into the air, the people screaming and falling, the single flare lost in the dark Atlantic - it sends shivers down your spine as you know this is not fiction - this actually happened to real people. Jack and Rose, played by Leo Di Caprio and Kate Winslett seemed an odd choice - but there is real chemistry between them. Leo is great as the free-spirited 'poor guy' who sees the same kind of spark in Rose that is being repressed by the society she lives in (Rose could be said to be a true proto-feminist as 1912 was a time when emancipation was a hot political issue) and Winslett truly shines in her breakout role.
As with Cameron's other works, the ground-breaking SFX are the things that usually get the attention - but something that is not often applauded enough is that all of his films (think Terminator, The Abyss) have involving storylines and well-drawn characters. He obviously has a passion for what he does and thinks about the story he is trying to get over, and makes the elements work together. And this is why Titanic really hit home, why the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
I have Titanic on a single DVD so for me this Collectors Edition was bought in order to see all the extras. And I was not disappointed. There are so many and they give some great insights into the research done and the creative process. The deleted scenes contain some genuinely interesting omissions. I think particularly of the cut of a segment that explains more fully Rose's attempt to jump off the back of the ship - I think this should have been kept in and Cal cut out a bit more. Saying that the Cal/bodyguard sequence was actually cut considerably so we were let off lightly. The film is played over 2 discs to accommodate the commentaries so if you simply want to watch the film, get the single disc edition - but if like me you like to get some background, this is not a problem, you have to make a sacrifice in order to pack this much quality on to a DVD. I can honestly say this is one of the best DVD packages I have seen and when you have seen all the extras the poignancy of the story can be felt all the more. I'm very glad I have this in my collection
on 7 April 2017
it is kind of ridiculous how many different special versions of the film there are and how many special features they can find to fill all these different collections, When you think that the first DVD release was so empty of any special features. I've also asked myself before why it is now that we have to wait many years to recieve special editions of films or now even popular music albums. When originally seeming ignored or forgotten. Anyway On this blu ray we have the film with commentaries, deleated scenes, Alternate Ending, & Much more On disc 2 there is a fascinating original Nation Geographic Documentry hosted by Director James Cameron himself on just how The ship sank & what traspired that fateful night, many of the things James Cameron got wrong or right in the movie are highlighted here. Other features include reflections on Titanic an hd documentary on the making of the film. Plus other featuretes
on 14 September 2012
So I have finished watching the film and all of its special features and I am very impressed. The film looks great and they have done a great job making the film look as crisp as possible BUT I enjoyed the new special features more than the film, The Final word from James Cameron documentary on disc 2 is easily one of the best special features I've ever seen on a film, It explains everything that happened to Titanic in glorious detail from Cameron himself and some of the worlds most dedicated Titanic know it all's.

Most people reading this have most likely seen the film already and if you are wanting to see it again even though you have seen it a million times, it is worth upgrading to see it in all its glory and the special features are simply fantastic, the alternative ending is also very very good but I can understand why they didn't use it.

Film in bluray quality = 9/10
Special features = 10/10 easily

Buy it !!!
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2006
As a long time fan of the ship Titanic, i have seen many versions of the disaster that happened on April 14th 1912. When i saw this one i thought it was just a love story very well told, but when it came to the sinking i was amazed of the detail that the crew used in showing the sinking of the ship. The actors all played their parts perfectly and it is an absoulute amazing fim to watch.

The extras are also fantasic. There are trailers, featurettes, deleted scenes, 30 seconds with Bunnies and much much more.

If your a fan of James Cameron or the Titanic or any disaster film in general then buy this dvd, its worth the money.
on 12 November 2005
Not long after Titanic came out there was a DVD released which was sadly a huge disappointment. Since that time I have patiently waited, no doubt with many other fans of the film, for the release of a DVD which does this great film justice. Now at long last that time has come and this DVD set really does not disappoint. For a start this DVD film is presented in anamorphic widescreen and the print quality is first class. When shown on a large wide screen it is stunning. The extra features are a must for any fan of this film and others interested in the Titanic. I consider this film to be worth every penny and it has been worth the wait.
on 17 February 2017
Looking strangely dated now, James Cameron's epic re-telling of the Titanic saga bears occasional revisits. The meandering love story feels heavy and unnecessary against the towering action of iceberg and proud liner. The then revolutionary CGI work now looks a little crude compared to the wizardry of today, but still feels epic enough to sustain three hours' viewing. Overall, it's a great movie only slightly overshadowed by its turgid length and sense of its own importance.
on 9 October 2016
One of the great film's to watch, love the story line and some great scenes, can't wait to watch any other similar movies to this, if you ever wanna watch this movie watch it all alone with no disturbance. It's a shame that they don't make movies like this anymore, brilliant movie and good quality dvd print.

Now for this kind of stuff I don't have a very high expectations, however this movie pleasantly surprised me.

I have always appreciated the help of other people who take the time out to write detailed readable reviews and I try to return the favour to the best of my ability.

kind regards

Imy...
on 19 February 2007
I think Titanic is the best film ever made, the only film to ever make me cry even when I've seen it several times already. If you dont really enjoy the film I dont need to say that you dont need this edition, but if you love it like me, I think you have to own it.

There are plenty of extras, perhaps some new documentaries would have been good, but of what there is; the deleted scenes add some new dimension to parts of the film. A few I understand were a bit dull and uneccesary, but there are a handful I felt deserved the final cut. The alternate ending is also interesting, and comes with a commentary by James Cameron, the commentaries provide a great insight to the making of the film - and nobody could deny that this must have been one hell of a film to make.

The one thing that annoyed me was the disc change half way through the film. Why?? is it really necessary, I mean its not as if no more would fit on the dvd, as they spread the extras through the discs.

Definately one for your collection if you're a big fan. It is beautifully packaged and miles better than the single disc version out there
on 24 May 2007
I first saw this film when it came out in the cinema, and I have to say I was not that impressed (unlike many of my friends - diehard Leonardo DiCaprio fans all). However, later I came to appreciate it more. This DVD is excellent, with plenty of special features (though if you are a real Titanic fan go for the 4-disc edition). I'm not that enamoured of the alternate ending, I prefer the original even though it was less conclusive.

I think this film was almost perfectly cast, kudos to James Cameron and his team, right from Kate and Leo down to the supporting cast of crew members and passengers. Bernard Hill is excellent as the captain going down with the ship he has doomed, and Victor Garber is also fantastic as the ship's designer, also choosing not to head for the boats. Kathy Bates is simply brilliant as the Unsinkable Molly Brown, Billy Zane is suitably slimy as Rose's millionaire fiance, and David Warner is really quite scary as his manservant/bodyguard. Cameron skilfullly draws the viewer into the lives of the thousands of passengers, so that you feel real sympathy as the steerage passengers are trapped, beaten back and shot at. One of my favourite characters has to be Ioan Gruffudd's 5th Officer, the only man willing to go back to search for survivors in the water.

The film has wonderful moments of humour alongside the impending tragedy - the dinner party scene, or Rose expounding on Freud at the tea table, not to mention "I can see the Statue of Liberty already!... Very small, of course.". The period touches are brilliant, especially Rose's collection of paintings ("Something Picasso"). The move from wreck to dazzling flashback is very well executed, as are all the special effects. And who couldn't love the ending, as Rose, once more young and beautiful, rejoins the rest of the crew and passengers on the first-class deck of the Ship of Dreams...

Although the film is long it doesn't seem so, as you are pulled into the spectacle and the story along with Bill Paxton and his crew of diamond-seekers.

All in all, a great movie which I think will stand the test of time as a classic of 20th-century movie-making. This DVD edition is a credit to anyone's collection.