Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 6 March 2017
Whilst owning a dozen or so of Mr Oldfield's recordings, I invested my 25p in this one and was very pleasantly surprised with the selection. Do not overlook this one; it is rather good and flows well for a compilation. I personally must skip "Altered State" but apart from that cacophony, the disc is excellent!
on 21 April 2015
Another great Classic reworked. Often that is a recipe for disaster, but thankfully not on this occasion. I feel it really compliments and dare I say, even enhances the original seminal work.

Again great work of sonic art for us mere mortals to feast our ear upon.
on 18 July 2017
brilliant product, excellent delivery
on 2 January 2015
Arrived as promised
on 2 June 2017
Excellend album.
on 16 August 2012
To the casual listener all these Tubular Bells releases must be a little confusing. Well let me clarify, Tubular Bells II is something of a sequel to the 1973 original, it's structure mirrors that of the original but is the sound of a genius in the art of variation on a theme.

Is it as good? Well that can only be a matter of taste but here's my dollars worth. Tubular Bells II is perhaps, melodically speaking, Oldfield's biggest triumph and considering this is a composer in the same ball park as Bach or Vivaldi that's really saying something. When this music grabs you you can't let go, it's totally addictive. The way in which melodies across the whole album relate to one another is masterful and hypnotic. As with all of Oldfield's best albums you will find new layers of instruments with almost every listen, even after twenty years!

My only issue with this album is it's production, at times I find the sound a little cheesy and synthetic, that's not to say it isn't jam packed with hand-played instruments because you name it and it's on here; banjos, mandolins, an array of guitars and all the rest. I can 't help feeling that Trevor Horn's influence placed the album firmly in the early 90's where as much of Oldfield's best stuff is timeless. However, it is possible to filter out the production values becuase the melodies are so strong and anyway, you may love the sound of those synths.

I recommend seeking out The Bell single CD2, as it's B-sides feature the original MC Vivian Stanshall and also Billy Connolly both of which are much better than the dry and frankly dull Alan Rickman!

My other recommendation for those who love the multi-layering, guitar wielding Oldfield of old is to listen to an album called Mohribold by Andrew Taylor (google it). Taylor has clearly soaked up all of Oldfield's classics and given us a contemporary instrumental classic. I found it on a site called bandcamp and have enthused about it to all who will listen.
66 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 March 2011
In my opinion, this album is underrated beyond belief. Everyone hypes about Tubular Bells being some sort of Godsend... But what about the sequel, Tubular Bells 2? It might not have the same "Let's see what we can come up with!" feel to Tubular Bells, but by no means is it a slouch.

Whereas Tubular Bells all merged seemlessly together, it had no real goal where it was going to go. Oldfield is one of the few musicians that can pull off from going from one mood swing to another, and this was reflected in his music. His sequel though feels more polished and has a goal where it wants to go, a certain... More accurate feel to it.

The first thing you notice is how much retread there is on his album. Same thing Jarre did with his sequel to Oxygene in 1997, he broke it down, remodelled it, reformed it to become... His sequel. He has sufficent re-tread to remind you that you are listening to Tubular Bells, but not enough to actually feel like a parody of it.

Breaking down the segments was a better feature. There might have been certain segments I wanted to listen to, but Oldfield, like it or not, had the entire piece... As one piece, where if you wanted to listen to a certain piece you had to frustratingly hold the fast forward on your CD player. Not really ideal.

The next thing you realise from Tubular Bells is gone away the long hair and slightly scary 'tashe he had during the recording sessions of Tubular Bells, in is a much cooler short hair. He did away with the delicacy of his his prequel, and introduced a harsher, more abrash sound to his sequel.

Although Tubular Bells Vol. 2 doesn't seem to get remastered much (I think there are less versions of this than Vol. 1, but I could be wrong) and in a way... I like that, no more producers trying to meddle with a near perfect recording. Don't bother, you just agitate fans!

All in all, a very good album. It has the ruthless edge to compete with Vol. 1, but it would be unfair to say one is better than another because they are both two great albums.
on 6 June 2017
Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said? Another great album by Mike Oldfield. "The Bell" and "Tattoo" in particular get my all choked up with emotion. The flow of the album is very similar to the first Tubular Bells album which was released 19 years previously to this. If you would compare the two, you can definitely hear the similarities but it's also possible to spot the differences, too.

Another masterpiece from a great musician! Thanks, Mike!
on 3 February 2013
I use this album to test any new piece of Hi-Fi equipment that I buy.

Having lost my old original CD album I just bought it again from Amazon.........

It's the only CD I own that will NOT play directly on my PC... had to rip it on my brothers PC and burn a copy. To this day I don't know why I had to do that... I guess it's software copyright or something.
on 4 December 2001
This is easily one of Oldfield's best albums and arguably his finest hour.I would rate this album ahead of my other two favourites 'Songs of Distant Earth' and 'Amorak' and definitely a huge step forward from TB1.Musically it's just pure magic with variation from relaxing tempo to just out and out rock.Definitely a vital addition to any Oldfield fan's music collection.The video of the live concert is also pure magic.Well done Mike!!!