Colour Name: Black|Change

on 5 October 2010
I am running through 2 sets of headsets every year and so I have bought and wore many. I have been buying cheap and I have been buying expensive (never more than £40 though coz if it's not gonna last more than 6months it will be really expensive) and after a number of experiments I have now decided to terminate the research and admit the truth: the Philips earhook headphones are simply the best. They stay in the ear without this irritating, mindtwisting and above all constant need for adjustment. I tried the ear canal ones, but when i run, with every step they slip out just a tiny bit (especially when your ears are sweaty and they will be sweaty if you're running properly) and after 20m or 100m they are out (regardless the size or material the earpiece is made of). They produce high enough music quality to agree with my set of mp3 files and my ear. I have nothing more to ask for.
0Comment| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 July 2010
I bought these headphones for the occasional jog and so far they have worked perfectly. I have fairly small ears which these headphones snuggly shaped around so if you have large ears there may be a chance this product will be uncomfortable. Some other reviewers reported looseness but so far even when running they have stayed tightly fitted. The audio quality is pretty average, at best it's similar to the iPod bundled headphones so don't be expecting too much on that end.

Pros:
- Brilliant for jogging
- Comfortable design

Cons:
- Average sound quality
- May fall off for some

Conclusion: Buy these headphones if you intend on going running with them, if not, these headphones are pretty average in sound quality so you may want to look elsewhere. Recommended.
11 comment| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2010
These are the best headphones I can get. The sound is better than more expensive headphones. However a word of warning to prospective buyers, I have been buying these headphones for 4 years now, and they do tend to only last about 5 or 6 months before the sound stops coming out of one of the earpieces. Quite a substantial drawback really.
44 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought these for using at the gym and for jogging. They are comfortable and the hook holds them in place. Something I needed as I found earbuds just seem to fall/pull out. These hold firmly in place. After 6 months use (and sweat) though the metallic speaker grill covering has begun to rust! Not concerned though as it is very minor and does not affect use. Sound is above avergae and they have a reasonable length to them.

Overall very happy at the price. When they finally fail will probably get sweat resistant ones but on a budget, as I was, they are ideal.

You may ask yourself 'why 4 stars then'? Because the headphone jack is angled as opposed to straight, a very minor gripe but it got int he way a bit of my nike armband and dominates my shuffle. Still awesome budget phones.
on 1 November 2011
I'm giving these earphones five stars and also posting my first Amazon review as I am extremely impressed. My old earplugs started to fall out more and more often whilst running and started to become infuriating - that I was probably using more energy securing my earplugs than I was running!
These philips plugs don't fall out. I have done a small bike ride (10 miles) followed by a 7 mile run, not once was there any chance of them falling out. Size and shape of ear may play a factor? I don't know as I only have two ears to test them on! Sound quality is okay, certainly better than expected whilst out running and for the price!
These are all first impressions, but I'm confident that these are what I have been looking for!

Update : I ran a marathon on Sunday with these headphones in for the full distance - didn't fall out once and wasn't aware that they were there - no discomfort at all.
on 2 July 2012
Currently on my second pair as the first broke. Entirely my own fault due to accidental tugging on the lead causing one side to stop working. The sound quality is exceptional for the price and I have used them whilst running and lifting weights with no issues whatsoever. They also work well with personal DAB and netbook and would highly recommend them for the comfort of fit and durability as they seem to be unaffected by sweaty running conditions and inclement weather. I have seen the price hit 6-7 pounds occasionaly and for that they are a steal - great product.
on 31 March 2011
The earpieces are not adjustable and I found them extremely uncomfortable. I bought them to go running with but they would not stay in my ear and therefore I cannot comment on the sound quality.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 August 2015
Philips is usually a reliable maker of sound stuff.
We have several pairs of their headphones and ear-buds around the family, as well as some very acceptable electronics from them, and I usually recommend them.
These particular Ear Hook Headphones seem to be well made from decent materials and they fitted OK.
They look and feel fine.
But the sound manages to be unsatisfying in a number of ways - they start to distort at a very low level, and have a brittle quality to the sound even when turned down. The sound is quite bright and there can be strong bass too, but not at all clear. They mess the music up!
Might be OK for listening to a talking book, but not ideal.
Overall these have been a disappointment.
To be fair they are not as bad as the very worst of the 'free' earphones provided with cheap equipment, and they are well put together.
But if you are looking for a reasonable quality sound experience or seeking to upgrade your OEM earphones we'd recommend looking elsewhere.
They look a whole lot better than they sound.
on 6 June 2016
I've bought a few of these over the years. I'm not a massive fan of Philips products (and they make a huge range of products) as I find they invariably don't last....and indeed these earphones are no exception. These earphones tend to start to go wrong after about 4 months of use. I used to simply take them back (which I've done many many times) and get a refund as they have a guarantee. After using other earphones as well as these it's obvious that no one makes them to last....the tiny wires that transmit the sound invariably break somewhere along its length leaving the listener with sound in only one ear. These earphones do deliver a good sound, they are stable on the ear and comfortable to use. You can even get a pair of ear protectors over these due to their low profile. So...I know they'll be good for a few months but I don't expect them to last more than that!
on 25 October 2010
These may not be the best in terms of sound quality, but for running, I have found them to be absolutely perfect. I have tried many different models of 'sports' earphones, and none of them have ever fitted very well (maybe I have weird ears!!). These are comfortable, and do not move at all.
And, they're very cheap.