on 18 October 2007
I was blown away by this book [and in fact the whole trilogy!]. Aside from having a stunning plot which is able to spread across three books without becoming tedious; the world in which Tally and others live is perfectly thought out and utterly believable. Its a brilliant book but very hard to describe to others- many people would turn their nose if you said "its set in the future and everyone has had an operation to make them pretty." BUT DONT BE DISCOURAGED! Tally's story is so down to earth and exciting this book is one that will be glued to your hands, and your brain, for a long while.

Another point. When you're finished the debate is on: Is the city evil with its operations, boundaries and runaway-rules? Or are the Smokies really driving the world back to rusty times of environmental damage?.....
on 11 May 2016
pooled ink Reviews:

SPECIALS drops us mid-action where we discover the inevitable fate of Tally Youngblood. Firmly implanted into the secret government sector of guardians Tally has been forcefully recruited into a brand new clique of enforcers. They are the strongest, smartest, fiercest, adrenaline junkies on earth. They’re the Cutters. Born from the cult in PRETTIES they have reached new heights. They have been surgically altered to be supreme and they have become unstoppable. Ambition and intellect are dangerous to mix but mix they have and Dr. Cable will just have to watch as her pride and joy deteriorate under the one power stronger than even them, love. The stakes are higher than either of its literary predecessors and have only further to climb. The city cannot contain Tally, soon she will drag in the world.

Read my FULL review here: [...]
on 9 January 2010
Just about to read this - I have just finished the previous book in the series and I am addicted!!
on 7 December 2014
Really enjoyed this series of books, a bit like the Hunger Games but a younger version that's a lot less violent!
on 10 January 2014
Personally after the first book it should have stopped.
The main character was incredibly weak and fickle and I did not enjoy reading about her journey through life.
Now don't get me wrong, the imagination involved in the writing was amazing, to think up such a world with that much sense to it was incredible, but the story was flawed by it's own characters. In my opinion anyway.
on 7 May 2015
I loved the first book so much i had to see what happened to Tally in the end. Whilst parts of this book are genius i feel the trilogy went downhill after book one. I feel the author was on to an amazing idea with all three books however Specials was a bit much even for me!
on 7 August 2013
Definitely recommend this, kinda wish I was a Crim pretty thought with all the tech etcetc Zane will never be forgotten but he wish he'd been kept in the books maybe but it was completely new throughout I didn't product any of it like I do normally with books. Love it!
on 13 November 2014
If you loved the hunger games, then you will love this series
on 12 October 2013
I just loved this book , I find the whole idea of an alternate society really intriguing . I think the plot s are good and fast paced, I also really liked the correlation between the title and what she is/ looks like
on 16 July 2014
Like the other books in the series this book is a real page turner and is almost impossible to put down. This is a brilliant addition to the series, if you loved the others you will love this one.