Customer reviews

on 8 June 2017
The energy of the SBYO of Venezuela never fails to shine through. Bought the CD for the infectious energy of the Revueltas; Les Noches de los Mayas - had me dancing round the lounge. It doesn't disappoint.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 August 2011
The wow on this recording is how they play the Revueltas music. Energy, eruption, timing - all with a technical skill that is just superb!
The Stravinskij music is handled with nothing less. Although it for me doesn't surpass the Bernstein treatment of it. The Bernstein version was more of a collective immediate force. Here the focus seems to be on clarity and perfection of details. It gives a somewhat different experience.
on 22 July 2015
I originally sold this soon after buying it several years ago. But when I recently purchased the Decca 20-CD boxed set of 'Rites' by various conductors, I looked forward to hearing this again. I imagined that my original judgment was probably hasty and that a new hearing would win me over. Not really. It's never going to be one of my favorites.

I think the recording and playing have a lot to do with it. Woodwinds don't sound very warm or close; trumpets a little thin and buzzy; tympani way loud; and when the basses arrive in 'Spring Rounds,' they do so with a dull thud. Only after several more bars do they begin actually phrasing or showing some feeling or expression. Dudamel's tempos and so forth are fairly standard, though fairly fast at certain points. Conductor and orchestra achieve some precision, but if you like to hear moments of beauty in the Rite of Spring too, and you should expect to be able to, there aren't many here. Too much of this seems focused on speed and loudness. And certainly if speed and loudness are the criteria, then the conclusion of Part I is highly successful. But I prefer readings that achieve excitement as Bernstein does in his London or Israel readings (not his early New York reading), with a skillful, graduated buildup, rather than intensely fast speeds and sonic heft. With Dudamel I just don't hear much sense of real mystery or power, two elements that I think should suffuse any reading of Stravinsky's Rite. Some reviewers here have in the past accused conductors such as Dutoit of garish and shallow readings that work only as sonic blockbusters, but fall short musically, I think it's equally appropriate to level that charge at Dudamel. Certainly, the Rite of Spring admits of different approaches and interpretations. But if the romanticism is being stripped from the classics by a rigid, HIP approach, as some people feel, it seems to me that Dudamel is accomplishing something similar here.
on 16 May 2014
Dudamel has hit the musical world with his (often) individual interpretations and it show again, here. I think I have more "Rites" in my fairly substantial collection than any other orchestral piece. This one is among those I will listen to more than once! I have a favourite interpretation (Chailly on Decca) but Dudamel is not to be ignored. His is a dynamic, dramatic reading played by an orchestra who obviously give him their all. Whether you agree with all he does is individual opinion but he knows what he wants and gets it. As I have said, I will go back to it with pleasure.
on 31 October 2010
I had never before heard the Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela but I must say that their performances brought out every colour, every detail of the pieces on this CD: they could rival any of the major international orchestras.
The Rite of Spring is one of my favourite listening experiences, and this version is different from any other that I have heard, a quite different interpretation that makes an old friend seem fresh and new.
I had no experience of the composer, Revueltos, but I must say that I shall be looking for more of his music in future. I found La Noche de los Mayas simply splendid.
Overall wonderful and thoroughly recommended.
on 20 July 2010
Gustavo Dudamel with his Simon Bolivar players must be what Stravinsky was looking for when he wrote his Rite and the Revueltas. I bought the CD expecting energy and rhythm - but the players' continuing success is giving them technical skills that have me playing and re-playing the disc. Great stuff!
on 21 September 2013
These two masterpieces as performed by Dudamel and "The Bolívars" are presented with such finesse and strength that may caught you unprepared. You will be transported to magical worlds...
on 25 November 2014
amazing orchestra
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 July 2010
very good parallel between Stravinsky's sacre and Revueltas's Noche . Very good orchestra and direction of G. Dudamel