Customer reviews

Opticron Waterproof 5x30 Monocular
Size: 5x30|Change

on 18 October 2017
(Excuse my english) . The product arrived exactly on time as stated on Amazon "track delivery" page. As soon as I got the package, I saw it was opened. Propably customs. The monocular itself is exactly what I was looking for - something to put in my pocket, which has enough magnification to be useful during day and also dusk and dawn. I also own spotting scopes and 7x50 binocular. I have learned that exit pupil size and optical quality is very important if you want to enjoy the optical device. This 5x30 seemed very attracting and all I can say that I am very pleased with it. I tested it in very low light conditions and it is inferior to 7x50 binocular, but it is much much more portable. It fits in my pocket and has very large field of view, good depth of field, good build quality and nice round exit pupil. If you look at milkiway with it - you can see a lot more stars than with naked eye. it is clear from edge to edge. I want to thank Opticron for this device and I suggest it to anyone. This is very good all purpose monocular for the days, when you dont have much room in your pockets for more than wallet, and home keys.

Edit: after a little use I can say that this is my main optical device, when I have to work outdoor. It gets a lot of usage, and mainly because of the picture clarity and portability.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
3 people found this helpful
on 15 April 2014
I have some binoculars but wanted something of reasonable quality that I could put in my pocket. I also have one eye much worse than the other and nearly all binoculars don't allow me to focus both eyes 100%. This monocular has a nice solid feel to it and is very comfortable to hold with the rubberised grip. The lens end has a tight fitting rubber cap that is permanently attached so can't be lost - really useful. The other end has a lift off cap that could be tighter so I am having to be careful that I don't lose it, I may try to permanently attach it somehow. The eye cup comes up as you twist it and the grooved ring in front is for focussing. As far as optical quality goes it is very sharp with no colour aberrations that I can see. It also has a reasonable case and neck strap. All in all I am very pleased with it and for the money was a great purchase.
on 26 June 2017
Good quality at the price, easy to use, but don't make the mistake of thinking it is a small package, the rubber armour ensures it is a hand full.
2 people found this helpful
on 27 March 2018
I bought this for birdwatching for everyday when it isn't always possible to carry a pair of bins. Great optical performance, waterproof and so handy to slip in a pocket. I wish I'd bought this years ago.
on 22 March 2018
Fair quality lenses but bulky device and focussing band is difficult to turn: nigh on impossible while wearing gloves.
on 19 July 2017
Great little handy scope to carry around
on 10 April 2018
Not ideal for long distance but it will enlarge what you can see. You need to be close to see details on something like a bird or animal
on 31 January 2015
Very clear, and good quality optics. Quality build, and feels strong and solid. Find it much better than using binoculars.
on 4 June 2014
a bit bulkier than expected but small enough to fit in a pocket. good magnification and simple to use. also waterproof
on 24 April 2014
I’I use this to watch wildlife, and although they are not the most powerful on the market they seem to get close enough and let in lots of light so the viewing image is always clear whatever the light. When you are walking about they are much more convenient that a pair of binoculars. Highly recommended.