on 20 November 2011
One of the criteria for a digital watch was a countdown timer. At the time of searching, I don't think Amazon mentioned anything about a countdown timer, but this was a number one priority for me. After looking around for some info, I found it did have a timer - and one which you can set from anywhere between 1 second to 23 hours 59 minutes, 59 seconds.

The analogue display isn't much good really, though it has been handy once or twice when I've had the display on the countdown timer. It does take a second of two to actually read though. The time zone map is really just a gimmick - something to fill the watch face. You can't really see which part of the world is highlighted.

Apart from the countdown timer, I wanted a good display when lit. Unfortunately, this one doesn't have the more recent illuminator display which is quite bright and provides an even light across the whole watch face - on watches that have it. This one has an amber light located in the bottom left of the display. This though, as my attached photo shows, is more than adequate, and makes the time easy to read in the dark.

It's a great watch.

Update (Feb 2013) : 15 months on and the watch has stopped working. Either the battery has gone (supposed to be a 10 year battery!) or there's a fault in the watch. I know the last time I pressed the illuminator button it buzzed quite loudly. I'll update here if I bother to get a new battery as to whether a new battery fixes it! ... On the 10 year battery, it's only 10 years from when the battery was put in the watch (by the manufacturer) so it's possible mine was on the shelf for a few years! And I'm sure the light runs it down a bit, though I didn't use it often. Still a good watch... while it lasted!
review image
on 2 April 2017
The watch works very well and looks great. It is light and comfortable to wear. On top of it, it is inexpensive - I don't want to use the word cheap, because it does not look cheap and it functions better than many much more expensive watches I have. I wear this more often than I wear my Omega, Cartier and Baume and Mercier. It is easy to change the time zone - press a button a few times is all you need to do. I only wish the light is a bit brighter and in blue instead of yellow. This watch reminds me of the good old days - when well made products did not break the bank.
on 12 January 2016
Great watch, the only minor issue is that the date is too small, otherwise perfect. I have no need for the 3 or 4 different time zones this watch can show, so I set them all to UK time. I usually have a Casio watch for under £20 because they tend to get broken in my job every so often, so they need to be reasonably robust and this one is strong enough for me. This is my third Casio watch in two years, the other two kept resetting themselves to 2005 or 2010 on Jan the 1st at midnight. This watch does not appear to do that, which is one of the few feature requirements I have, which are to show the time, day, month, have a stop watch, a light, be robust and to remember the time. There are plenty of other features on this watch, but I will not use them.
on 28 December 2015
Lovely watch to add to my collection, high quality and brilliant for using when I train my under 8's football team. Lots of functions and easy to use.
It has many functions including:
4 different time keeping modes (T1 through T4), 12 or 24 hour time format, 5 alarms which can be programmed as daily or one time, 1.5 or 3 second illumination upon button press, Count-down timer and of course a stopwatch.

For the price I can not fault it at all and recommend it highly.
on 23 September 2017
Bought for fitness tracking primarily.
Plastic strap isn't massively comfortable but ideal for sweating on.
Complicated to set up initially, but has stop watch and count down which is why I bought it.
The tiny map is pointless because it seems to just duplicate the time zone notification below.
The time zones can be confusing because they can be inadvertently scrolled. I thought it was playing up when I noticed it was reading a couple of hours out, until I noticed it was showing Wrong time zone.
Only real criticism is that the watch is over complicated. If I could hide all but one time zone it would have five stars.
on 17 February 2018
I bought this as a cheap watch for adventure travel, to replace an older Casio whose strap snapped after around 15 years. My main requirements were:
Cheap so ok if damaged or lost? Yes.
Alarm for early starts? Yes.
Backlight for checking the time overnight? This was a let down for me. My previous Casio had a nice blue backlight that lit the whole screen. This one has a white light shining from the side, and is relatively dim so struggles to light the whole display.
The watch body itself also feels much more plasticky than the one i was replacing, so I'm not sure how it'll hold up to potential knocks.
But overall it's a cheap watch that's fine as a backup or as a travel watch.
on 1 June 2013
Great value-for-money Casio watch!!

An excellent multi-featured timepiece from Casio that has
everything you'll probably really ever need from a watch
and at an incredibly good price!

World Time
Displays the current time in major cities and specific areas around the world.
Also has a nice little working and readable clock face showing current time in top right corner which is a neat little "homage" to the old analogue type watches which are, of course, still very much alive and well but it is great to see an analogue style clock face on what is, essentially, a digital quartz watch.

Stopwatch Function (1/100 - 24H)
Accurate measurement of elapsed time with the touch of a button. The fraction indicates the unit of measurement, while the time figure indicates the maximum time measurement. The measuring capacity reaches up to 24 hours.

Timer - 1/1 Sec - 24 H
Fo all those who want to know exactly: The countdown timer helps to remember special or recurring events by giving an acoustic signal at a set time. The time can be set minute per minute and up to 24 hours in advance. This function is especially useful for daily medication or interval training.

5 Daily Alarms
The daily alarm sounds each day at the time you set. The suppressible hourly time signal causes the watch to beep every hour on the hour This model features 5 independent alarms - very useful for dialy medication or regular meetings.

10 Years - 1 Battery
10 years - 1 battery. The newly-developed electronics ensure considerably lower energy consumption.

Full Auto Calendar
Allowances are made automatically for months of different lengths, in case date corrections for leap years are required.

12/24-hour Timekeeping
Times can be displayed in either a 12-hour or 24-hour format.

Great value!!

Need I say more?

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Volume One in the Trilogy of Five (Hitchhikers Guide 1)
on 8 October 2015
Looks good, ideal for my India trip as have set up the time zone for it so will just be able to switch into the pre programmed time zone when I get there. No messing about adjusting the watch.

Additional comments: 4 months later when I needed to change the time in the UK by 1 hr to cater for BST, afraid I was not able to get it done. I followed the manual pressed every button as advised but no joy. Looks like I'll have to keep it in the drawer till October when the clocks change back. Shame about this, hence lower score
on 7 December 2015
In my opinion this is a good looking relatively cheap digital watch, I really liked it. The display is pretty big, but not huge. Same applies for the watchface too, so it's not one of those huge watches you see on everyone's wrists nowadays. The little digital but analog watch can probably come in handy but I didn't pay attention to it that much.
That said, I returned this item because I made the foolish mistake of confusing countdown timer with an interval timer. Without the interval timer, this watch is not really good for exercise (I swim, therefore I really thought I could make good use of the timer).Casio Ae-1000W-1Bvef Men's Watch Casio Collection
VINE VOICEon 16 December 2011
Most of what needs to be said has already been said about this watch. For 15 quid though you cant go wrong. The strap is very basic and like all Casio straps doesnt feel like its going to last very long. The actual face of the watch is quite big and as a previous reviewer pointed out why on earth did Casio think it was a good idea to put that map on is anyone's guess. It would have been better to make the time display bigger. There is a smaller clock on the top right which is OK I guess but still, quite small. The watch displays the time, day and date and like all digitals can be changed to 24 hour. The world time thing is quite good because you can set 4 different times on it so you can have the time set for where you are going to, the time in any airport you happen to be changing in (Useful if you are stuck in the airport for a few hours in a different time zone and dont want to be fiddling with your watch) So pretty much works as a GMT but about 80 pounds cheaper than your most basic quartz GMT.

One big negative is this is supposed to be part of the Casio illuminator yet the back light is frankly dreadful. Just a poor orange glow that lasts for a few seconds before going off.