on 20 December 2011
9 months of usage, any faults???

No. None whatsoever. I have bumped it a few times, no scratches, no chips (the glass is really good) and more importantly still looks as good as new. One incident though. I accidently dropped it once on hard floor from a height of over a meter and the minute hand popped out!!! I was lucky that it was stuck in a corner and not in the movement path of the hour hand. A quick visit to a local watch store and it was fixed within 5 minutes. I had to manually reset the hand positions however, but have had no issues since. Its no G-shock but holds its own ground!

**********************************************
One of the best looking watches out there, in my opinion at least. I have had the watch for over 3 months now and it ensures people do a double take (I have had my share!). The radio frequency works brilliantly, automatically adjusting the time once you move time zones. The digital display can be better. Its 'inverse' display looks both cool at times (by day) and hard to read at times (you guessed it, by night).

The LED feature DOESN'T illuminate the digital display brightly enough that you can easily make out the digital time. The radium on the hour and minute sticks are good to say the least. A few seconds exposed to a light source will leave your watch gleaming for minutes.

It feels sturdy, but as most pointed out, the glass does protrude out and 'could' chip. However, must add that I have bumped the watch on several occasions and the glass has never (or rather, is yet to) chip.

Is it scratch proof?. Yes. More or less. It can withstand your usual day to day scratches thanks to few hits here and there. But a hard bump against the wall will usually leave a scratch. I have an almost imperceptible scratch. Almost imperceptible.

It doesn't have a dial to 'rotate' and set the analog time. You need to set the time you want 'digitally' and voila, the minute and hour sticks move slowly, but surely, to the set time.

To rate it on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the highest:

Ease of reading time: 7 (mainly due to the not-so-great illumination. If you predominantly use the analog time, then you will never have a problem)
Looks: 9
Ease of use: 8 (getting used to the settings could take some time)
Overall: 8

Finally, its an amazing watch. As long as you are careful not to bump it often, you should have it looking as good as new for years.
on 2 December 2016
If you live in the northern hemisphere, this is the watch for you. There are some things that could be improved upon, but it's a damned good watch for the money. It does everything I will ever want a watch to do. If you live in the southern hemisphere, you should probably look at a GPS watch, such as the Seiko Astron range, but they are very expensive compared to this.

UPDATE: After having used this watch for some months now, there are some things I would change if I possibly could.
* The alarm is very quiet as these things go, and any background noise will cause me to miss it. It certainly wouldn't wake me up! It would be nice to have an alarm that started soft and got louder. The alarms only sound for about 10 seconds, which is not really long enough given they're so quiet.
* Glass is tough, and I've had no problems with it chipping. In the watch I have, the glass is flush with the bezel, although others have complained that it stands proud.
* It would be a massive boon if the glass had an anti-reflective coating like some of the Seiko models.
* The LCD is quite hard to read, and not backlit. The face illumination does not shed any light on the LCD parts.
* If you like a watch with a bit of a hefty feel to it, you will like this one. If Casio made a titanium body and strap version it would be very lightweight.
on 9 August 2013
My wife has bought me this watch for my birthday. When she first asked me what I would like for my 70th, within a certain price range, I decided upon a new watch. I have had several Casio watches over the years and trust them for quality and reliabilty. My last one was a Protrek with barometer etc etc. and has given superb service. One issue was the resin strap which has split on one side of one of the buckle holes and as a result it won't be long before the whole strap breaks.

So, what did I base my criteria on when beginning a search for a new watch. I decided, given what I said before, that I wanted a metal bracelet. Secondly I wanted, as with the Protrek, solar power to avoid battery changes. Thirdly I wanted to have the watch time to be kept automatically correct by connection to the atomic clock. Fourthly I wanted a digital display as well as analogue. Fifth I wanted an alarm and finally a display backlight.

I visited all the high street jewellers and couldn't find one that matched all the above criteria within the budget that I'd been given other than the Casio watch that I'd selected. Probably the closest was a watch in the Citizen range but they were much more expensive than Casio.

This watch cost £275 in HS which is more than £90 dearer than on Amazon (with free delivery thrown in). My main concern was how to adjust the bracelet should it not fit my wrist, but, having checked this out in local jewellers, the cost to take links out was £5.50, which I preferred rather than buying a kit to take them out myself. So what a saving!! The watch is guaranteed for 2 years and would have to be returned to Casio if a repair was necessary. The same applies to high street jewellers too except they would send it back on your behalf. I decided that the £90 saving was worth taking that chance!!

The watch was delivered very efficiently by Amazon and I've had a chance to find out how it works. It really is very simple to set the time zone/city for the country where you live or are visiting for the atomic clock to give you the correct time. It was quite amazing to see the fingers and digital display change when I set the city to LON for the UK. A second time zone can be set too in a similar manner which could be handy if travelling regularly to Europe or elsewhere for that matter. A simple press of a button changes the zones you have chosen. The instruction provided with the watch are easy to follow and are very concise and as long as they are followed there will be no problems.

The watch itself is weighty and feels and looks strong and durable. Handsome would be good word to use and looks very elegant on the wrist. I had links taken out of the bracelet by a local jeweller because it was much too big for my relatively small wrist and now it fits beautifully.

I have to say that I am very pleased with the watch and look forward to many years of accurate timekeeping plus use of the features described earlier. If you're in the market for a watch with similar requirements to mine - check this watch out. You won't be disappointed and the price and looks will bring a big smile to your face!!
on 7 October 2013
This is a very nice watch. Dual time, solar powered and always accurate thanks to the atomic clock timekeeping interface. Fairly heavy but after a couple of hours I didn't actually notice it. Bought as an additional watch as my other Casio world time, solar powered etc was playing up. Mind you, I have had it a number of years with no servicing, so have now sent it to Casio for thorough maintenance. The Edifice is easy to read thanks to the luminous hands although the backlight doesn't really show too much. I would recommend this watch.
on 4 December 2014
Bought this watch after looking for while to give me an alternative to my trusty world time sportura Seiko. The Seiko model is SNJ005 circa 1995, so I will refer to it to pick out where the Seiko is superior and why therefore you pay more money.

The Edifice is first and foremost a Casio. If you like Casio functionality you will like this watch. The RRP is around £275 for this model but if you were lucky like me, getting it on Black Friday, you could pick it up at a shade above £200, so it was comparable to other online retailers.

Functionality wise, it has a very similar movement to most other similarly priced G Shock watches...world time, wave ceptor (atomic time synchronisation), multi alarms and a 100th sec stopwatch with timer. This edifice though had a stainless steel casing and band/clasp.

This model also has a countdown timer and the obligatory lighting system that everyone picks on as quite frankly inadequate for the price.

Setting up the watch is relatively straight forward once you download the manual online, as the provided one is again Casio typical...too small.

To get AT on a Seiko you will currently pay an extra £50-100 the same as Citizen. It is not worth the extra. Casio has this licked and it works well.

World time is again across far more cities and timezones than the Seiko, however my sportura uses the bezel and the second-hand to select whilst displaying it in the digital display. You therefore have full city names scrolling across the face rather than obscure three letter codes.

Whilst on that point, the digital functionality on the edifice again lives up to the Casio strategy of making it so small to read you need glasses. A shame and not a patch against my Seiko where it is twice as big yet takes up less space imo.

The Seiko doesn't have a light though, something that is useful after the fluorescent display has faded after a couple of hours in the dark. And no it is not a digital backlight but one to light briefly the whole dial to catch the analogue hands. You cannot read the digital displays as it wasn't designed to do this unfortunately. If you want that you need to buy a Timex...something that their watches excel in.

The wave ceptor tech work well as mentioned and combined with solar power (it's not tough solar) you will get at least 7-10 years until a battery service will be required, but to honest we will all be wearing different tech on our wrists by then.

The secondary mini dial on the right of the display is really a gimmick as it's only used for the stop watches first second, then ticks for another 60 seconds until remaining static... as akin to all the other usual functions, stopwatch, dual time, timer and alarms, they all work off the 3 digital displays. Same as the Seiko but The SNJ005 model I have uniquely has a stopwatch that measures to 1000th sec...great for motor racing and it displays gaps between splits, not just the split time.

Yes both watches displays get covered by the analogue dials but hey if you need glasses anyway to view the tiny numbers, you aren't going to worry about the digital elements too much.

From a world time and travellers pov swapping your home time with another preset zone is easy, however as far as the alarms are concerned, a trick is missed is that all alarms on the Casio caliper are based on your home city time...so what I hear you say...okay then...what if I want to set my alarm to get me up at 4pm Sydney time, when I am currently sitting in Europe..?

On the Casio/edifice you have to first work out the time difference and then either take this away from or add this to your local time to work out your local alarm time. All a little complicated but hey, Casio users are perhaps used to this.

On the other hand my Seiko, in setting the alarm, first asks you to select the city timezone before the hour and minute. Thetefor even if I am in Paris, when the correct time occurs in say Mexico, my alarm goes off and displays the city and flashes the time to let me know. That is useful, but perhaps copyrighted and you pay a little extra I suppose therefore.

In summary the Casio/edifice is nice but still too reliant on small digital displays. They sort of need to grow up a bit.

Finally the stainless steel case, band and glass...
Seiko uses high grade steel. Stainless of course and even uses it for the jointed clasp. Therefore even with links removed, it still weighs above 200grams. Significant weight but you forget this whilst wearing it. It does however feel like quality.

The Edifice watch uses the same weight steel however the clasp uses the usual thin tin plate that eventually bends out of shape in the end.

Therefore the watch is lighter overall but still looks like quality. The weight though tells the story imo.

The same is true of the bezel glass. Mineral glass is not as good as sapphire, but will still resist scratches if treated well. I have to say however, again that you pay more for sapphire and even after drops and bumps over the last 9 years it is spotless to this day.

In summary this is a good watch, with many short comings when spoilt by a better one, however for the money the style is good to look at, light on the wrist and has all the functionality you would want, so long as you can live with those nearly but not quite perfect elements.

One day Casio will catch up but are still making watches expected of them. Edifice, being the more upper class market away from plastic Casio G Shocks etc do have a more opulent look and design, but still rely on cheaper casio calipers. all dressed up, but no cigar...yet...I'm still recommending this model over other Edifices that are too gimmicky....
I'm also glad I didn't spend the RRP, but it's a good entry level AT solar watch until you an afford the Seiko equivalent.
on 16 September 2010
Very impressed with the Casio Edifice M300. Just what I needed for faultless timing always. It adjusts itself for summer & winter time, never need worry about changing the date. It's solar powered, so no batteries to get replaced badly by the shop. I have quite a few watches, but this one is by far the most practical and looks great too. Some reviews say it's complicated to set up, but follow the instructions and it's quite straight forward. Lingray Watches supplied it and their service was great too.
11 Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 July 2011
Despite all the negative qualities of this watch mentioned by all, and which I mostly agree with,it's still a jolly good quality,good looking,useful watch,packed with facilities at a bargain price.(that is if you've shopped around on-line instead of buying it in the high street at a hundred quid more).The case and bracelet are really substantial not the usual folded tin construction, and adjustment to fit a normal wrist may need a visit to a watch repairer if you're not a handyman.The collars round the two right-hand buttons are just window dressing.They don't adjust the hands for example or anything else.As to the ning-nong that tried to charge one under a tungsten bulb and it melted,well,nuff said.The lack of a sweep second hand is probably to save power,the minute hand only ticks over at 10 sec. intervals too.I'd say that if you're into this sort of gadget, you've probably got a smart-phone that does a hundred more tricks than this,and does them better.There's only so much visible and controllable hi-tech you can fit on a wrist.Above all it's still one of the few quality solar, radio-controlled watches around, and you're always going to be able to tell the time with it unless you live down a mine.What else is a watch for? As a last resort if you're still not sure how to work it,Just keep a PDF of the manual on your phone so you can still reset it "in the foreign".I don't need a Citizen endorsed by the Blue Angels at twice the price. When am I gonna fly an F-18? Read all the reviews and then... Buy It! EDIT: 8 months later.Slight wear on black bezel paint at 12 o'clock,two faint scratches on glass, numerous faint scatches on bracelet.Two resets of hand home position(20 secs out).Although it's shock-resistant,put it in your pocket when you're working with power tools.Otherwise working great,always fully charged,synchs with home radio-controlled clocks perfectly.Love the two-click "move the hands to another time-zone" facility! Why's it gone back up to £250? Mine was £150!Scarcity due to the Japanese earthquake? Not such a bargain now.
review image review image
on 16 July 2016
I've had this watch for a few months now, and so feel qualified to comment on it "long-term".

Bought from H. Samuels on-line for £149 (they had a sale on) to replace an old Casio Wave-ceptor watch that had shuffled off this mortal coil.

I've no major issues with it - it gets admiring glances from people who like this sort of thing, and it's fun to watch them glaze-over when you start to explain that it's 'solar' and 'radio-controlled' with a 'tough' mechanism.

The strap gave me a bit of grief at first as I had to remove two links to stop it falling off my wrist! After putting the pins back in, I noticed one evening to my horror that one of them had nearly worked its way out sideways, promising to ditch the watch on the floor at any moment. The solution was to paint the offending pin in my wife's clear-cote nail varnish and put it back in whilst still wet. Maybe if I'd let a shop do it, it would have been different, who knows?

The battery charge level has never strayed off the top level on the indicator from the day I unpacked it, and if left somewhere near a window, it seems to pick up the time signal on a daily basis - you can check when it was last updated using the 'GET' facility.

Some other users have commented on how easy the crystal glass is to chip, but I don't wear mine during manual labour, preferring to swap it for something cheaper! The only signs that mine is no longer new are a few scuff marks on the hi-gloss sections of the strap which inevitably comes into contact with tables and wooden arms on chairs.

If I'm brutally honest, I haven't used anything like all of its facilities (two time zones, stop-watch etc) and it is quite 'chunky' if all you want is to tell the time.

My single niggle is that the LCD display is low contrast and difficult to read in all but the best light.

All in all, a prestigeous-looking watch of good sound build-quality with plenty of 'gadgets' to keep most nerds happy, and in the mean time it rewards the rest of us with really accurate timekeeping at less silly prices than some other brands I could mention.

BTW, do yourself a favour and download the English-only instructions for 'Mechanism 5117' instead of struggling with Casio's mini-Bible in several languages. As someone else also pointed out, maybe keep this .pdf file on your smart phone as, sure as eggs are eggs, by the time you want to cross into another time zone, you'll have forgotten how to alter the watch!

I recently did a Med cruise, and with a bit of practice changing from LON to BER to ATH was a doddle at the time. Months later, bet I'd have to look it up again though.
on 19 June 2011
The watch is fab but for a proper idea of how the watch looks take a look at the uploaded photos rather than Amazon's own pic. The actual watch is less blue and more gray with red highlights..
on 27 July 2011
I , like your self, trawled the Amazon Website in search for a new watch. After literally hundreds of watches, I came across this watch which really stood out from the rest. The watch had everything I was looking for, it was good looking,loaded with tech and looked solid.

I went off in search of a number of reviews (as I do for everything that I buy) to find out what the general opinion was both professional and user reviews.

All the reviews I read echoed what the watch actually delivers................apart from one important thing!
Yes its a good looking watch, yes its its crammed with clever tech that will impress you ...but....the glass screen is VERY BAD!

The design of the glass face isn't flush with the frame of the watch. Now for a lot of watches out there, this isn't a problem because the edge of the glass face (If protruding from the frame) is bevelled.....this watches face is NOT!

The glass sits about a millimetre proud and because it isn't bevelled, means that if anything hard catches it, the edges get chipped!

Now you might think "he probably knocked it quite hard!"....No I didn't, If fact..... I don't remember knocking it at all in a way that would make me check the watch to see if it was ok. I looked after it like you did when you took your new white Reebok classics to school, checking them for any specks of dirt every few steps.

I thought that it might just be unlucky and had a weak screen, so I sent it back and requested a replacement. The replacement came and off I went again to the jewellers to get the strap adjusted. 2 weeks later .....more chips appeared.

I realised this is just a bad design on Casio's behalf, which is strange as they make extremely good watches & the G -Shock ones are nearly indestructible!

I received my confirmation that the watch was received back and I that my refund had been processed. I jumped on the Internet to look for another watch and decided I should write this to warn others.

If Casio could sort the screen out, I would have no worries recommending this watch....hey , id even give it the 5 stars it should have & buy another one!

Such a shame!!
1111 Comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse