on 5 September 2011
This watch is big and chunky. It is a mat black metal case and the metal strap is black but slightly shiny. The number are a turquoise blue the hour and minute hands have a blue tip and white (slightly yellow) body. The second hand is blue. The hour and minute hands and the numbers on the face are all very luminous. I have used this at work (emergency services) and it has been comfy to wear, undamaged and most importantly easy to read at a glance. The model with an LED is, to me, useless. I often need to know the time while both hands are on a steering wheel, weapon or subject so I don't have a spare hand to operate a watch light. This makes the glow in the dark essential to me. Tritium lit watches are brighter but I have heard these little gas filled tubes can break and they have a limited lifespan. To be honest all the other functions are nice to have but i probably wont use them much. The only down side is the small size of the little dials which you cant read easily in good light and not at all in the dark.
I require a reliable, tough easy to read watch with a smart appearance and this is it. I would highly recommend this watch to anyone in the forces or emergency services or anyone who wants a tough good looking reliable watch. As soon as you open the tin and feel the weight and see the quality you wont be disappointed.
review image
on 1 July 2011
Be aware that although the colour on the Casio generated photo of this watch, as displayed by Amazon, is black background with pale blue numbering and white hour and minute hands, the actual colouring of the numbering is turquoise, with yellow hands. I was disappointed that the actual watch did not look like the photograph (which in my view looks much better than the actual watch) and returned it.
on 7 August 2013
Excellent watch. What i really like:

* Chunky and weighty. I am replacing a plastic strap g-shock and this feels ten time better
* Radio connection - tried three times to manually setup (although time was already correct roughly out of the box) as i wanted to use this feature of a atomic clock timeset (futuristic?) but would not setup. Left it in my window facing north (towards anthorn) and by morning it had updated. Its bang on time wise...to the second
* Its easier to use than my last one (other comments have said it too complicated and i'm not sure why..seems a lot easier than the digitals). I really wanted the timezones to be easy to set and they are!
* Love the turquoise numbers....classy but kind of cool and better than i expected. I can see it being worn for all occasions, which adds to its value for money.

Only issue is that the bracelet is massive, ive not got what you would call willowy wrists but i needed two links taken out by a jeweller! So if you do have forearms like popeye you'll be fine!

Very impressed so far!

Edit after two weeks use. Time is spot on...to the second. I have (geekily) checked with the speaking clock at anthorn and its dead on! Great then, although if you've got OCD maybe give it a miss?
on 14 November 2013
I Have had mine now for 2 years, I have been very happy with it so far!
With all the heavy work I've done while wearing it, there is only one slight scratch on the glass, not too noticeable. I do struggle to see the inner dials, especially in poor light. The Black on the strap is starting to show ware now after everyday waring for the last 2 years, so I guess I can't complain.
It keeps the time very well, radio updates well too. I leave it near a window during summer daytime change to find it all changed by morning. Very pleased with it & I know I will have many more years pleasure out of it still.

It is large & heavy but you get used to it. I don't have 'hulk' wrists so took a chance buying it, but it's fine.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it and highly recommend it.
on 15 November 2013
Had this watch for two years now. It's been up mountains (a few times), through rivers, worn whilst doing endless 4x4 car maintenance, it's crossed Iceland the hard way, and been subjected to some serious shocks. It's stood extreme cold and heat and it still looks great, works great, keeps perfect time (to the second) and has been one of the best watches I have ever owned. Watch I had before was a full military spec Nite with tritium Illuminated dial hands and hour markers (a very tough watch). I thought that the Casio wouldn't get close to that for night time reading and resilience but it has definitely exceeded my expectations. If you want a rugged military style watch that can handle just about anything you could throw at it without any worries, - this is the one.
on 31 December 2010
It is an astonishing watch. Ordered it as a Xmas present (for myself;) ). Unfortunately due to pretty bad weather and being shipped from Germany, it arrived after Xmas. Well, no harm done and a nice surprise after all other gifts. Fair-play to Amazon for refunding quick delivery charge after just one email.
Back to the watch itself. Bear in mind that it is really big - not everyone will like it. I went for 3000BD - more expensive than 3000B, because of black stainless parts and bracelet but well worth it. Blue details are a lot nicer than orange ones - suitable for more occasions. Watch gives a very sturdy feeling. Setting it wasn't too hard and well explained in manuals ('quick start-up' also included). Dial is very easy to read. Radio reception for atomic time keeping failed at first but went fine at the second attempt after placing the watch closer to window (Ireland - pretty far from radio tower in Anthorn - England). The only minus of it is it's stopwatch - measures time just up to 24 minutes. All other functions are just brilliant.

Update!!! - After about 11 months of using it (not a hard use, as I have few watches) it started taking water in. Not while swimming, but when running in the rain. Sent it back to Casio, got it back after a week or so and it was worse than before the repair. Sent it again to Casio and got a replacement. Still waiting for the refund of the postage cost (pretty expensive as it has to be insured courier). Not a great service, nevertheless still love the watch.
on 13 October 2013
If you are in area covered by the signal the watch will setup the hour and day right out of the box. You just need to in put your region. This is beautiful, easy to read, strong and reliable. But not for this reason is heavy, in fact is light weight. I really like this watch because you don't need to adjust the hour and date, it has permanent calendar. You don't need change batteries, it is solar rechargeable. So this is a watch that you will have for the rest your life!
on 14 March 2012
I'm a huge fan of watches - my equivalent of jewellery, but I was looking for something rugged, hard-wearing and reliable for everyday wear. I've not owned a Casio for many years, but their G-Shock range has a renowned reputation for being virtually indestructible. Initially i wanted to avoid digital watches and found this relatively new addition to the G-Shock range. WHen it arrived, i was initially very pleased - the watch offered many features including multiple time zones, worldwide radio updates to keep it spot on time, timers and all sorts. BUT, this was the main problem. Changing all these settings on traditional G-Shock watches is relatively tricky unless you are very familiar with the brand, but the buttons are clearly labelled and you have a digital display to guide you, however, on an analogue display, this has to be achieved with the hands (both the main time hands and a few small indicator hands). Personally, i found these totally baffling, and i'm by no means a luddite.

These difficulties eventually became too much and the watch was returned and swapped for a Casio Pro Trek PRW-2000T. I needed to be able to change time zones and setting quickly due to my work and travel. Often, there can be a few weeks/months between needing to do this and i found it impossible to remember the settings without close inspection of the manual.

If you are intimately familiar with the G-Shock and/or Casio way of doing things, you may well struggle less. Were it not for these difficulties and if based purely on looks, feel, ruggedness - this review would be at least 4-star.
on 27 January 2014
I bought this as a weekend watch so I wouldn't have to wear my smarter, work watches while walking the dog or doing a spot of DIY. I needed something virtually indestructible and if you're in that market then there's really nothing better than a G-Shock. I like fun watches - ones with things going on on their faces, and this has plenty of dials and indicators that I'm sure mean something to someone. The automatic radio timekeeping is great if you live in most parts of the world, but in my corner of the Caribbean I'm a bit too far from the transmitter. No matter, this thing keeps excellent time and as it is solar powered I don't have to worry about batteries.

Downsides? It's quite chunky which might not be for everyone. The bracelet is a pain to resize and isn't as tough as the rest of the watch (scratches easily). The watch has no illumination so you are reliant on the glow-in-the-dark hands which do not maintain their 'glow' for very long. None of these are big issues though.
on 25 January 2014
This watch would have got 4 or 5 stars were it not for the price, which fluctuated constantly during my research, resulting in my paying slightly over the odds - this was irritating!

The watch looks better on the flesh than in the pictures; the case and strap are beautiful (definitely worth paying extra for the metal bracelet on the BD model). I have been wearing this watch for around 3 weeks of physically demanding front-line police work now and it is holding up well. The luminous marking are excellent in the dark.

Radio controlled feature seems to work well, as does waterproofing. The watch has been in a few fights but has not sustained serious impact yet. Set-up is fine (took me 10 mins once I'd found the PDF manual online).

Update...

Under a year old and condensation has formed on the interior surface of the lens..... I hope it is still under warranty!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse