Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 July 2010
On the first listen, I found this album disappointing when compared to her previous release, Big but I persevered with it because I had loved 'Big' so much. And I'm so pleased that I did!

The tracks generally have a more optimistic feel to them, rather than Big's tendency towards the theatrical and melodrama. The songs are engaging without being overworked and showcase Macy's voice really well. My favourites are 'Kissed It', which is plunky, fun and flirty; and 'Real Love', which so smooth and sensual you can picture yourself happily slow dancing on a hot, sticky summer's night (well, I can anyway!). Other standout tracks are the two openers, current single 'Lately' and title-track 'the Sellout'. 'Lately' is a gorgeous, retro nod to old-style finger-snapping music and really helps set the scene for the following tracks. Personally, I would have made this the opener rather than 'The Sellout', which (besides having a great opening, which wouldn't have worked anywhere else on the CD) is a much slower track. That said, the overall composition of the album is flawless, with the end of the previous track complementing the into of the next; something that isn't achieved on many CDs.

This album is definitely a grower, and provides a fantastic stepping stone in Macy's long career. Highly recommended, even if you're new to her music, as she's such a talented singer she couldn't fail to impress. I'm already anxiously awaiting the next album!
Macy Gray's voice is an acquired taste which, until now, I will admit, I had
been, despite my best efforts, unable to acquire. I wanted to like her but there
was something in her tenuous ability to hold a tune which kept me on the
other side of the road looking on. (It could easily be argued that Mr Dylan has
spent the greater part of five decades trying to pin down a melodic line too
but it does not seem to have harmed his career!) 'The Sellout', then, comes
as a bit of a slap round the back of the legs for me. It is a revelation!!

I like it. I like it a lot. I really love it truth-be-told!

These dozen new tracks are filled with something quite extraordinary.
Ms Gray has mined a rich seam of new-found confidence and greater focus
in both her writing and her vocal performances. She has fire in her belly
and you can feel it. She's having fun too and because of that so do we.

Things kick off with a cracking number, title track 'The Sellout', a perfectly pretty
anthem full of warmth and solid soulful feeling. Ms Gray's voice has never
sounded better than this. A beautiful song by any standard known to man.

'Lately' is a delicious slice of incandescent pop which would have sounded
just at home in the eighties as now. A strong tune, a danceable beat and
a gritty vocal which lifts the whole arrangement up into the clouds.

Ms Gray is clearly in touch with her inner rock-chick on 'Kissed It'
(featuring messrs Slash, McKagan and Sorum of Velvet Revolver).
It clatters along with utter disregard for current taste and convention.
Mr Slash delivers a very tasty guitar solo. The whole thing's a hoot!

'Still Hurts' is a classy ballad full of sadness and regret.
It will touch a raw nerve in anyone who has known love and lost it.

The uncluttered arrangement of 'Let You Win' is relaxed, understated and utterly
charming. The melody is chock full of sunshine. A delightful composition, sassily sung.

'Stalker' is brief funky curiosity. The long shadow of the small-purple-one
can be felt lurking in the wings. I like to think he would be smiling.

Ms Gray sounds at her most vulnerable on closing track 'The Comeback'.
She reaches deep into the heart of the song and finds some kind of
fragile emotional valediction. It is her finest moment by a mile.
A world-class performance in fact.

If 'The Sellout' is indeed a sellout then she has done the right
thing and I'm buying it. It is her very best work to date.

Essential.
on 27 June 2010
You don't know what you're missing till it's gone, case in point is Macy Gray being under the radar of late, but her new recording, The Sellout heralds the welcome return of a truly unique recording artist. Shedding her demons and forces that held her back, Gray did some serious wood shedding and has bounched back with a no holds barred personal statement that her fans have been waiting for.

"Lately", a subtle nod to The Four Tops, "Shake Me, Wake Me" (When It's Over), firmly plants Miss Macy back into the pop world, swaying as gently a palm tree. Lighting up a fire, Macy changes gears with "Kissed It" featuring Velvet Revolver.

The lyrics of "Beauty in The World" affirm Gray's positive outlook on life and speaks well of her uplifted frame of mind. "Help Me" reaffirms her need to be herself, "at least I ain't someone else. "You Win" speaks to those times lovers need to let go having control and give in. "Real Love" is a sensuous, smoking tour de force featuring Bobby Brown that is pure double dip choclolate delight.

"The Comeback" explores Macy's fears about not knowing where she is going, and not being pretty enough. Believe me, she knows full where she is heading and Miss Macy is more than beautiful in visage, spirit and mind. Welcome back. We missed you BIG!
VINE VOICEon 3 July 2010
What a terrible shame that this album failed to chart in the UK. In my opinion Macy Gray has finally found a whole album which fits well together and suits her raspy vocals. I am a devoted fan, but found myself disappointed at the album quality after 'On How Life Is'. 'The ID' was her only album to reach no.1 in the UK, however for me while there are some excellent songs on the album, in general it just isn't great. I did love 'Big', however I'd be the first to admit that the last few songs on the album were fairly weak and you could see Will.I.Am stamped all over it. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but when you are as distinctive as Macy it just seems a little unnecessary.

The Sellout on the other hand sees Macy re-take control over writing and production and it really does shine through. There are some absolutely superb songs on here and overall I would genuinely say that this is by far Macy's best album to date.

1.The Sellout-A sultry ballad to begin the album; catchy and the vocals shine through. 9/10
2.Lately-A funky, uptempo song and a great choice for the first single. 10/10
3.Kissed It-With a little help from Velvet Revolver this track is a real stormer of a rock song. A chanty chorus and shouty vocals make this a great little song! 9/10
4.Still Hurts-An emotional and powerful ballad and in my opinion Macy's best individual song since 'I Try'. This HAS to be a single and the contribution from Romika is outstanding. 10/10
5.Beauty In The World-Much has been made by the critics of the corny lyrics in this song and they are without doubt correct, however the song is simple and melodic and I think it's pretty darn good! 9/10
6.Help Me-A very motown influenced song, in particular with the backing vocalists as Macy begs for someone to help her. 7/10
7.Let You Win-A fairly stripped back song where the soulful vocals are brought to the fore. 8/10
8.That Man-A real retro Motown inspired number, as Macy tells the world how she wants 'that man'. Backing vocals are once again inspired here. 9/10
9.Stalker-Some have interpreted this song as Macy telling the music buying public that she will not go away and that they need her. This is one of the quirkiest songs on the album and vocals are once again sublime! 10/10
10.Real Love-A cheesy duet between Macy and Bobby Brown. The partnership works brilliantly and their vocals gel so so well together. Although undoubtedly cheesy it's also pretty endearing and positive. 9/10
11.On & On-A midtempo song with some odd accompanying music. It's definitely one of the weaker tracks on the album, but it does have a certain quirky charm. 7/10
12.The Comeback-Macy begins and ends the album with a similar type of ballad and that aids with the cohesion of the album as a whole. 9/10

So overall I would highly, highly recommend this album if you're a fan of raspy vocals and soul/r&b music. This is one of the best albums I have bought in a long time and I just hope that it allows Macy to make more!
on 7 August 2010
It Macy - what else would you expect but fantastic!! Tons more fun than the last and will have you dancing all around the floor!
on 12 March 2015
Yes, really like it, individual Macy as usual. Only listened to it a few times, so may deserve a 5 but not sure yet.
on 17 July 2010
Dear Potential Purchaser/ Discerning Listener/ Jaded Fan,

Do yourself a favour and listen to "The Sellout". It will only take one listen before you sign up again to be on Team Macy!

Macy Gray is on top form and it's evident from the self-entitled opening track to the album's closer, "The Comeback". That's what's happened here, she's come back to reclaim her title as Crazy Neo-Soul Sister.

I admit that I have been a fan from the first time I heard her quirky vocals on the radio back in 1999 but I do think that along the way she did sellout in an attempt to hold onto the highs of "I Try" and "On How Life Is".

Stand-out tracks on The Sellout are littered all over the album but it depends on what you like? There's pop(Beauty In The World), rock (Kissed It), soul (Help Me) and hip-hop (Still Hurts) all masterfully mixed together to form one of Macy Gray's best efforts yet!

Go on! Click on the purchase button and proceed to "Check-out"!
on 10 February 2016
Every day for the past two months I've listened to this CD - I just love it to bits - every single song
on 22 November 2013
The voice is just so good that even her Xmas song sounds great. She cannot do much wrong with me.
on 3 December 2010
I know most artists have their 15mins at the top and then gradually or suddenly fall, but this album makes it seem all the more unfair that Macy Gray gets such little attention from music lovers and the media these days. There are a couple of songs on this album that bore me, but the rest is good stuff, and better than most of the junk that graces the top 40 these days.