Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 June 2010
I have loved Bridgets music all my life and it's wonderful to see that it is getting so much attention recently with the release of this album and the BBC Radio sessions. Her songs are beautiful and innocent and hark back to a time when music was more from the heart and touched the soul deeply, though there are songwriters nowadays who do the same-they are in a minority, but perhaps they always were! Unlike a previous reviewer "Lazarus" is one of the few songs of hers that I didn't like and so I am rather pleased it was not included! But the songs on here are well chosen and I hope that a new generation of listeners discover the wonder of Bridget. I was sorry that she moved to New York in the mid-70's (sorry for me I mean-not for her) as her songs lost some of the magic from that time on-as she always conjured in my mind images of leafy English Country lanes-but at least we have her first 3 albums (Jumblequeen -her fourth, wasn't quite as good)and now this beautiful compilation and the even more beautiful and exciting Radio Sessions which includes the song that first turne me on to Bridget - her cover of John Martyn's "The River." I am so pleased that so many of these artistes from the 60's and 70's are being 'revived' in the 21st century as they are as fresh as ever and even more relevant now in these modern times than they ever were.
on 8 June 2010
Great to see a long-overdue BSJ compilation. I'm not convinced that an artist is necessarily the best judge of their own material, but the choice here is pretty good... though I would say that her first two albums are a little under-represented [I'd have liked to see Lizard Long-Tongue Boy and Making Losing Better included]. In addition to Lazarus being replaced by the much more cheerful Nice, the track order is different from that printed above, with BSJ's arguably most famous song Ask Me No Questions more sensibly placed as the penultimate track.
This non-chronological compilation starts off with the superb Fly High featuring great sonic stuff from John Martyn, but then may seem to flag a bit for newcomers to Bridget's work. The only tracks here I have doubts about are the pleasant but dated [wah-wah guitar solo alert!] Some Kind of Beautiful[ too early in the order at track 2], while the slightly ramshackle, hippyish If You've Got Money [track 4], has some charm but is also too high up the running order. Once we come to her excellent take on Kevin Ayers Yep, the collection is back on track.
This album is a good introduction to the wonderful, emotional, sensual world of Bridget St John, a reminder of what a fine - and versatile - writer and singer she is... as well as Britain's sexiest female songwriter [check out Bumper to Bumper [track 6].
I hope that this release and the [superior] BBC sessions album help raise BSJ's profile where it deserves to be: right up there with Drake, Denny, Martyn and co. It would be nice to pick up a copy of Word/Mojo/Uncut or another rock mag and see a nice piece about her!
on 6 June 2010
As usual with Cherry Red product, this is a quality release at a budget price. However if, like me, you're a casual fan who's attracted to this compilation by the promised presence of the excellent "Lazarus" be aware that it's been omitted because Ms. St. John thinks it "works best live". So why wasn't a live version included? "Nice" appears in its place.
on 9 March 2016
Some lovely tracks on this album and what a voice!
on 3 August 2014