Customer reviews

on 5 July 2017
This was purchased for nostalgia for my rather wild and misspent (so I am told) youth. It is a lovely reminder of what a talented and diverse music scene we all enjoyed. Music that inspired and entertained us without the performance relying on high tech tricks and gloss of today but shows real invention and talent. 5 stars merited but recordings do have a lot of tape noise especially disc 1.
on 4 January 2018
Just right
on 18 December 2014
Enjoying this very much
on 15 June 2015
Brilliant to make the acquaintance of Pentangle after all these years.
on 8 October 2015
pretty good very under rated e vital british folk group
on 22 June 2015
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 July 2016
No comments
on 26 October 2016
Nice cd
on 26 April 2015
When I first heard this in the late 70s after the demise of Pentangle I much preferred the later albums Basket of Light and Solomon's Seal. Following John Renbourn's death I've listened to quite a few of his solo, duet and group recordings and decided I should re-appraise Sweet Child as the Pentangle's best reviewed album. I'm glad I did, and all I can think is that when I heard it before I wasn't ready for the diverse influences of jazz (Mingus and Miles in particular), blues, gospel and early music on an album filed as 'folk': the clarity of the remastered sound also helps.

The first disc is live, complete with spoken introductions and enthusiastic applause, which never get in the way of the music. The seven live bonus tracks from the same London concert result in a well filled disc which gives a real concert feel, and includes live versions of some standout tracks from their debut LP. The second Disc is studio recordings and the bonus tracks are alternate versions of four tracks already heard (interesting and enjoyable but not essential listening). Throughout there is music making of the highest order whether it's the full band or solo or duo items: Danny's solo bass on Haitian Fight Song, Terry's drum and vocal solo Moondog, Jacqui's unaccompanied So Early in the Spring all show Pentangle were not just about Bert and John's guitars. There's not a bad track on either CD and it's impossible to suggest anything as highlights . Although their other LPs had a handful of standout songs like Light Flight and Franklin, Sweet Child is a better introduction to their music than any compilation.
on 17 April 2012
I became interested in The Pentangle after hearing one their songs played on Radio 2's `Sounds of the Sixties'. I checked out their albums on the Amazon site and decided on this one. It is a gem! The Live CD actually improves on the original vinyl release as it has much more of the concert. I love folk/jazz sounds and wonder if this sound influenced the likes of Jefferson Airplane and Later Joni Mitchell recordings