on 21 January 2013
On a first listen this soundtrack has some beautiful melodies and soaring themes.

On a second listen you notice a few themes that are recurring (Toothless' theme appears a few times) and start listening out for themes.

On a third and fourth listen you notice that this album is built from a few themes woven together to create the sheer brilliance of this album.

BUY IT.
on 29 January 2013
I loved the movie and enjoyed the soundtrack so much that I bought the CD. I'm so glad I did. Often soundtracks lose something when not heard as part of the film itself, but not this one. It's stands on it's own incredibly well as a collection of separate yet connected and flowing tracks.

The Scottish theme running through many of the tracks is great, and gives a refreshing twist to the usual dramatic filmic scores of late. I love the whole CD, but favourites must be "Forbidden Friendship", "See You Tomorrow", "Test Drive" and "Romantic Flight". Buy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 2 January 2013
HTTYD is a superb film aimed at kids of all ages. Much like the film itself, this soundtrack is a lot deeper, more fun and more charming than you might at first expect. The music covers a variety of moods and tones so unlike a number of soundtracks it generally doesn't tend to feel like the same track with minor variations. However, themes and motifs repeat throughout but with different instruments, speeds and tones to keep things connected but interesting.

My favourite track and the one that sold me on getting the whole soundtrack was 'Test Drive'. It's a stunning and quite emotionally charged track for probably the best scene in the film (the first flight).

The main theme from 'Test Drive' is reprised in the tail section of 'Battling the Green Death' (which has elements that wouldn't sound out of place in the Independence Day soundtrack but work very well) and 'Coming Back Around' - which must be one of the most uplifting, triumphant tracks I've heard in a while. Although HTTYD is a film about Vikings and dragons, the decidedly Scottish feel of bagpipes and snare drums in parts of these tracks works very well. Maybe Berk is in or near the Hebrides...

'Forbidden Friendship' is a low key and yet rather emotive track covering the growing attachment between Hiccup and Toothless, and it sounds like it could have been written and performed by Sigur Ros. 'See You Tomorrow' is just a happy tune with a nice balance between the Celtic and orchestral elements.

If you want a soundtrack with a mix of grandiose and characterful, Celtic and classic orchestral, funny and dramatic, this is for you. As with the film itself, thoroughly recommended.
on 25 July 2011
This is one of the most beautiful soundtracks I have heard... *ever*. I can't think of any other score that flows so well from track to track and that. Out of 25 tracks 25 are excellent. There isn't a dud in an hour and ten minutes. An absolute masterpiece and an absolute must buy.
on 27 April 2011
Considering this animated film is probably aimed at a young audience it has a really great soundtrack. There are some films that seem to have generic action music but this soundtrack has done a really good job of setting the feel for the film and linking to its viking setting. There are some really emotive tracks, especially the forbidden friendship track. Some of the tracks repeat the same themes throughout the film, which may make it feel like you are hearing the same song more than once, but I feel there is enough variety to make it a good album. The music wouldn't work if it constantly changed style, it does change throughout but is held together well.
on 13 February 2011
I had a great time watching the movie and I couldn't wait to get my hands on the soundtrack. I and really happy that Amazon managed to ship it so quickly. I am enjoying listening to it and re-living moments of the movie.
on 2 January 2013
So really my input is not important...
It came on time in a nice package..
As advertised.......I'm happy and so is the person who
I gave it too
on 6 October 2013
I adore OST's, as does a close friend of mine. The orchestration is exquisite so I bought this as an xmas present, i'm positive it will be well received.
on 23 December 2013
One of the best original soundtracks I've heard. Great for studying, reading or relaxing. Perfect for all age groups to enjoy.
on 20 February 2013
I love the Scottish folk music style mixed with orchestra. You can almost feel the windy coasts of Scotland through the music.