Customer reviews

1,314

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 May 2016
First - having read a lot of reviews, it is clear that whether the collar works or not depends on the dog - and probably on the cause of the problems the dog is experiencing. After all, no-one would buy this for a dog who had no problems and exhibited no undesirable behaviour. The likelihood is that people buying this collar will have tried a number of different options that have not worked, so it's no surprise that this collar only works on some dogs. It's not a silver bullet. This is going to be a lengthy review - apologies, but it might help to put our positive experience in context.

So, in our case we are lucky with our purchase. Our wire-haired pointer was impeccably behaved when we got him - very early, at six weeks. We were a little surprised at how early the breeder let us have the dog - and no, it was not a puppy farm, but a single-bitch breeder KC registered - but our vet said that it should be OK. In retrospect, we feel we should have waited.

For the first six months of his life he was friendly with other dogs, enjoying playing with strangers, and loving the puppy socialisation course. And then, thinking we were responsible owners, we had him neutered. Immediately after this, his behaviour with other dogs changed: although still loving with people, he became aggressive with dogs he did not know - even puppies. Although he did not do any harm, he certainly frightened them and was clearly vicious in the intent of his attacks. I'm not sure whether neutering caused the change, although a significant minority of dog owners have reported similar problems.

We tried almost everything - distraction techniques, reinforcing our dominant role in the pack, treats whenever a dog appeared, withdrawal of attention if he lunged: to no effect. We also invested a significant amount of time and money with a trainer, who focused on click training and distraction - but to little effect. We managed the situation by keeping him away from other dogs where possible, ensuring he was always on a close lead and treating him if a dog came close. But this means walks were always a worry.

It was noticeable that before lunging he would lick his lips - often a sign of fear and nervousness. Thinking back to the early separation from his mother, and wondering if the neutering had caused a hormone imbalance that might have made him nervous and uncertain about his place in the world, we tried this collar six weeks ago.

The difference was almost immediately noticeable. He is still nervous around other dogs, but no longer makes the first move - he takes his cues from the other dog, and is happy to ignore it, especially when offered a treat or told to sit. The only real change we have made is the Adaptil collar - and so for us in our situation, it has been a real success.

Yes, they are pricey, and only have a life of a few weeks - and they are not he most attractive. But the difference the collar has made to our - that is, us and the dog! - walking enjoyment is worth the money.
review image
44 Comments| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 March 2016
I bought two of these for a long holiday with my dog who is difficult to walk on the lead .....he was never social used as a puppy and we rescued him aged 5 with MANY problems. I was advised to buy this by a vet but sadly it did not make one iota of difference to his behaviour. It may well work for other problems but didn't work for Monty!
on 6 May 2017
Does a very good job in calming my nervy chihuahua. However, for a dog which needs to wear one all the time they are horrifically expensive.
on 19 July 2017
Advised to use this by my dogs vet. He described it as an aid to training and I think that is about right. My rescue dog paced constantly, was hyper vigilant and anxious. I used this product in addition to a calming food product and together they helped him pay attention to my training. Don't expect it to magically sort out all your dogs problems but it def helped my dog.
on 7 June 2017
Used this for our 4yr old cockapoo who has separation anxiety from day 1 it seemed to work as when we left him he only cried a little bit
on 1 August 2017
Iv had these collars for one of my other dogs to help her calm down, used with the tablets and the plug-ins it did seem to work, I bought this collar does for my puppy the only problem I have is that it doesn't stay fastened, it lossens and has fallen off completely, if this was addressed it would get 5 stars
on 19 October 2017
I dunno, it's really hard to tell. Family say they may have noticed a difference in general, but there's no real difference to intense/immediate stress like loud noises/Fireworks. But then, if it were to protect against that the dog would probably be wandering around doped out of it the whole time.
on 19 September 2016
Can't say a vast improvement but a slight one. For £18 I don't know if I'll buy another.
on 13 April 2017
Didn't work for my dog but it might work yours.....
on 29 May 2017
I bought both this AND the diffuser and honestly don't see any difference. My dog still struggles with his anxiety of many things. I have bought a second diffuser to try to give it another shot but I'm not sure it is worth the money.