Customer reviews

Pride & Prejudice [Blu-ray][Region Free] [2005]
Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 15 November 2017
A good telling of a well known story.
on 18 November 2017
Arrived on time at a reasonable price.
on 13 November 2017
easy going,liked it
on 12 November 2017
Daughter will love this
on 15 July 2017
Perfect!
on 9 January 2016
Too Hollywoodised version of the great Jane Austen classic. England was made to look like medieval Low Countries, Kiera Knightley grinned like a monkey, and her father sounded as awful as Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins, altogether not even tolerable enough to watch all the way through! Hollywood should leave classic novels well alone!
on 8 February 2006
I found the film to be further from the book than the BBC version, to fans of Jane Austen I would recommend the BBC version as being nearer the book.
The film shows the Bennets living in a degree of squalor that I cannot believe a gentleman farmer and landowner would tolerate their house was also shown as dingy and dark.
It just missed out so much of the book.
on 8 May 2017
I had already seen this film before buying the DVD. I don't buy CDs, these days you can watch anything with a touch of a button or streaming it illegally online (shh) but something that was worth my money was this DVD. Each actor embodies the characters that I've read and it's astonishing how they do it. Not to take away from macfadyen, but I found his acting reduced to something really quiet, though he did embody that proud, and brooding tone of mr.darcy and recklessly crushed the hopes and dreams of every woman in this world considering we're all husband-hunting for something that's way too high on the expectation spectrum, thanks to the heavenly mr. Darcy. The Elizabeth and Darcy relationship can have me typing for days, until the utter destruction of the universe, thus I will abbreviate my words to this: please watch this movie.

P.s: the condition of the DVD was exquisite, new and untouched. Worked effortlessly on my laptop using the trusty VLC player. Extra bonuses to look forward to on the DVD, and had the alternate American ending on there too, with that all-important fruity kiss at the end. The delivery was impeccable, definitely arrived earlier than expected (I think even next day of ordering which was brilliant) I wouldn't be weary of the condition or delivery of this DVD, all of it was perfect, packaging and all.
review imagereview image
on 21 February 2006
Having read the novel of Pride and Prejudice many times, as well as watching the 1995 BBC version until the video wore out! I was eager to buy the new film. However I have to say I was bitterly disappointed, it is really not worth buying. The lead role of Elizabeth should be played with cleverness and wit, in this case however, we have lines rushed and continual giggles! Elizabeth is played to be as silly as her sister Lydia. I was wondering how the new Darcy would be compared with Colin Firth, who for me personified Darcy with perfection, again I was very disappointed. He has no charisma. Bingley was portrayed as a silly little man, Mr Bennet seemed a drunken fool to be pitied at the corner of the table. I'm sure Jane Austen is turning in her grave at this pitiful adaptation. My advice would be to watch some quality drama and buy the 1995 BBC version- this is a class act which is faithfull to Jane Austen.
on 7 December 2014