Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Steps Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 31 July 2012
I bought these because I'm old-fashioned and don't like sitting in the dark, or at least waiting ten minutes for our new energy-saving lights to come on. (I thought progress took us forward, not back. Modern bulbs should come with the motto, 'Back to Dickensian times and proud of it!')

Anyway, that gripe out of the way, these were well priced and arrived quickly. I tested them out and they all worked. But when I put them into the fittings for any length of time, the first three died within about three days. The fourth is still with me several months on, and I've still got the others ready and waiting, so hopefully I was just unlucky. But I won't know for certain until I need to use them for any length of time. Hopefully, by then, scientists will have invented a bulb that's bright, cheap and comes on straightaway.

Oh, no, wait a minute, they already had...
44 Comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2013
I'm really not happy with this product. i have left it this long to actually test them and not leave a "knee jerk" review. Bought a pack of these and so far 4 have blown up when turned on. i mean blown up and damaged a wooden toilet seat. i've tried them in two different light sockets and the same things happen after a while. Probably badly manufactured and not to BS regualtions. AVOID
on 31 December 2012
I bought 3 packets of these, on the basis that 30 bulbs for 1 fitting would probably see me out, based on average bulb life in the past. Now that I have actually started to use these ones I am finding that they last about 2 months each before they blow. This is so vastly inferior to the regular bulbs that I was buying before the goverment interfered. They would seem to be very low quality and not worth buying.
on 20 January 2012
The bulbs are not branded "Ring" as described in the product info, but branded "Status". Two bulbs blew within two weeks. On the packaging it states "Not suitable for household room illumination".

Beware.
on 11 December 2012
Bought this product recently. Inserted first bulb and it blew straight away! It happened again to the second bulb. I have a feeling that the bulbs are not the correct size. I am talking about the small thin metal prods coming out from the side. I viewed them against a totally different bulb and the different bulb ones seem to be bigger.

Stay away!
on 10 August 2010
Best deal I could find on the internet.Bought them to use with the living room dimmer switch.The new energy savers just don't work with dimmer switches.Fast disappearing off the market. Havig said that I really should order some more a.s.a.p.
22 Comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2010
These are Good Old Fashioned cheap 100W light bulbs. They have remained cheap while others raise their prices by stunning proportions, as they can no longer be manufactured. Stock up while you can!
on 1 December 2016
Only used 2 so far, but what a difference they have made. I work from home in the back bedroom which faces North West and gets no direct sunlight and I had an eco-friendly tube bulb in constant use. It took ages to get to maximum brightness (like something steam driven) and even then was hardly a substitute for natural daylight - a weak, watery light that was never quite bright enough. At the end of each working day my eyes were sore from the strain. I fell upon these bulbs like a starving tiger, and chased my husband upstairs to get the wretched eco-friendly 'thing' out of its socket and replaced with an actual bulb. This 100w lovely lights the instant I throw the switch, and bathes the room in a bright yellowish glow that reveals every dust bunny unhoovered. Both of the bulbs we have used so far are performing well; no sudden explosions or mysterious failures.
P.S. it's a total myth that ghastly eco-friendly tube bulbs last forever - we have had several die on us. The whole thing is a giant con.
on 11 July 2014
The web description says "Produces a soft glare-free light ideal for shades and table lamps". Printed on the side of the box "Not suitable for household room illumination".
Before purchasing these types of bulbs, ask the seller if they really are suitable for household use.
on 13 February 2015
Absolute rubbish and, I fear, possibly dangerous. Apart from one faulty one that never worked, the remaining nine all expired within a month. Most lasted about two weeks. The "death" of each bulb was dramatic -- each actually "popping" with a muffled bang when switched on. Afterwards, it was possible to see a luminous light purple swirl of gas in the expired bulb for about 30 seconds before it faded away. On each occasion, the end of the bulb remained blackened.
Oh yes, and each time a bulb went, it tripped the switch on the fuse box.
I'm in my 60th year. Obviously I have seen a lot of light bulbs over the years – but none as bad as this. I ought to be old enough to realise that you get what you pay for. These were cheap and nasty. It was only in retrospect that I realised they might actually be dangerous – hence this review (actually a warning) today. Avoid them.